MMA, the final thread!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Andy Murray, May 17, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I don't doubt it :p

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

My question is, if this thread was in General Discussion for 70+ posts, why move it now?

3. YODA

Because when the thread was started there wasn't a MMA / VT forum. And also - as you know - there are other reasons why I would like it here - then someone else can clean it up if it gets outa hand :p

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Gets out of hand?

Sorry Yoda you have lost me, none of us MMA people know what you mean :Angel:

5. Trent Tiemeyer

*gets mop and bucket ready*

6. YODA

Re: Gets out of hand?

You will - trust me :p

7. Sonshu

I know just messing

perhaps its best in the MMA section. I keep out of the Chinese Martial Arts section for the same reason.

Cheers

:Angel:

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Re: I know just messing

Gonna hold you to that in 2004!

9. Andy Murray

P.S.

This whole threads a bit of a joke which many of the contributors were in on! ;)

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Aww...Why'd you have to out us?

I did go back and delete the YOU'RE A HOMO pics.

11. Andy Murray

Wish you hadn't Trent.

Had me in stitches. :p

12. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

I am not even going to bother reading all of this...

...because I know I am right :D
    Anyways, the whole MMA/RBSD/TMA thing is stupid. TMA is too wide of a category to argue that vs. something else. The style I was studying had self defense, but TKD is a TMA, and how many TKD places do you see that stress self defense etc? At my TMA place, though they did have self defense, to get to it you had to advance in rank(you got a certain amount of selfdefense stuff depending on your rank) but to advance in rank it took a while and you had to go through forms till forever and ever and ever and so on... Anyways, some "TMA's" have self defense and effective stuff. On the other hand, TKD and many others don't.(TKD bashing is sooo much fun :D) MMA is just that: Mixed Martial Arts. It can have anything. Self defense or just sport. I'll use MT and BJJ as an example because they are the ones I have seen combined in MMA the most. MT+BJJ is an awesome combination, and yeah you can win fights in a cage. And yes, that transfers over to unarmed thugs on the streets. But when those thugs realize "hey, I need a knife" then you need something more. You need realistic defenses against knives etc. The israeli martial arts(kravmaga, haganah, hisardut, kapap, lotar, etc.) have good knife defenses. So, if you want good knife defenses, learn that. If you want to compete with forms, take wushu or TKD. It depends on what you are looking for.
    Like I said, BJJ and TMA are terms that are too general. BJJ could be considered a TMA b/c it comes from a TMA and it is like 80 years old. MMA could be something like TKD and karate combined, and, although *If you will be offended by TKD and karate bashing please don't read* that may suck, it is still "mixed martial arts".
    However, when someone says MMA, I don't take it literally and I think of vale tudo etc. but comparing MMA to TMA is like comparing cars to trucks, not specific enough to compare which is faster etc.

And thus end Chilu's Treatise on MMA vs. TMA!!

13. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

Well, when I think about it this way, I was learning MMA at my kung fu school :D We had striking, takedowns, etc. and then we had shuai chiao for groundwork and more takedowns, and then Chin Na that I would have got to later for even more options. I think we had it all covered, and I liked that school a lot, and the people there, but the froms got boring and I didn't want to keep waiting to get to the fun parts :D

14. Sonshu

The problem is with many arts

I would go so far as to say a lot of the people who do claim there art does a lot of ground work it is not of the same level of effectiveness or pressure tested to the levels of a MMA or BJJ or the other type ground experts.

Not saying yours is not good enough but I know little of Shuai Chiao. Could you please explain what it involves and how you do it?

Thanks

15. Trent Tiemeyer

Shuai Chiao is a chinese art similar to Judo.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I can understand your point of view from that perspective, but then in TKD or karate tournaments do they train clinch work, or do they train on the ground... do they train toe to toe fighting?

I'd completely agree with you that mma is nothing like street combat, but a mma'ist trains in all different aspects and distances of combat, where as alot of other arts do not.

Whilst i wouldn't ever want to be on the ground in a street fight, i still feel it's better to have ground knowledge, clinch knowledge, toe to toe and striking knowledge than just kicking knowledge.

---------------- On a different note -------------------

When I seen the name of this thread, i thought you guys were closing the MMA/Submission fighting section of the thread down!!! :)

17. Andy Murray

Nah mate, to be honest the whole thing was a bit of a laugh. We only recently opened a dedicated MMA section of the forum, and Yoda moved this thread there.

MAP keeps getting labelled as a TMA forum, possibly because we do have a diverse membership, where a lot of forums are on today's fad of MMA.

It's always been the objective that people from all walks of MA life can be members here.

This is kind of an old thread, and most of the people posting knew it was a wind up in the first place, but if it serves a purpose in further discussion then great. It was originally just highlighting some of the inevitable cliches that come up. ;)

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe good :) cuz i love this place!!! I'm at college at the moment just browsing the threads whilst i should be doing my coursework... and then comes the end of break so i go to my lesson, and continue to browse the forum lol :D

See ya in a min! i gotta go to lesson now.

19. redbull

redbull New Member

dim NumberOfOpponents as Int

If NumberOfOpponents > 1 Then RUN

End If

20. valetudo74

valetudo74 Master of Ching Ching POW

I didn't have time to flip thru 5 pages of threads, so I'll do so after I reply. :D

MMA, at least in my view, is not necessarily an "artform" per se, but rather, the name given to a format of cross training in various martial art systems. It just so happens that the front runners of MMA are Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo, Judo, and Boxing. Those are the style of choice for those who compete in the UFC, KOTC, or any other Vale Tudo type match. They are also the styles that have hit the MA mainstream within the past 10 years and have gained the most recognition.

Think of MMA in similar theory to JKD, "the way of no way." There's no rhyme or reason to the styles being trained, only that the styles trained are effective. If someone trains in TKD, Aikido, Krav Maga and Sambo, they're considered a mixed martial artist, hybrid fighter, etc. There exists a combination of TMA's and modern MA's rolled into one. Someone else could train in Muay Thai, BJJ, Kali, Bando, Wing Chun, Choy Le Fut, and also be considered a mixed martial artist. Again, it is merely the name of the style, not particular to any one system of fighting art.

I agree, the UFC is not as "real as it gets" when considering actual fighting. I believe it's as real as it gets for sportfighting, combining elements of stand up and ground fighting, but that's the extent of it. If you want reality based fighting, you're going to need to include some weapons training. Unfortunately, a lot of MMA fighters are closed minded toward weapons training, and they regard it as unrealistic or unreliable. So, they limit themselves to stand up and ground fighting.

To me, a true mixed martial artist is someone who has at least trained in 3 areas: standup, ground, and weapons. Within those parameters, you can incorporate survival skills training, law enforcement training, and civilian street self defense training. I'm not limiting it to just these areas, but just giving a basic overview of what I would consider true mixed martial arts. Looking at legends like Dan Inosanto give you an idea of where MMA should go. He teaches the theory of JKD within the realms of Escrima,JKD Concepts, Silat, Muay Thai, Savate, and BJJ. He's even added Capoeira to his curriculum. That to me is what MMA is about; the blending of various fighting concepts into one form.