MMA, the final thread!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Andy Murray, May 17, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep - that sounds like Spike. :D

2. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I am not going to get too far into this thread since I almost feel in the middle here. I teach a MMA system that has kept to it's TMA roots. I feel it is neccesary to be well-rounded and versatile. I think that you can find too many examples of either side being unrealistic in their training if it were to cross over to street fighting or real combat. I have seen many on both sides who were realistic and effective in their training. To me TMA offers a lot of values in addition to fighting skill and ability. These should not be neglected or dismissed IMO, but unless one's goal is to preserve a static historical tradition (and that is your right), then there is no reason not to upgrade and modify your skills. I will make this observation based on personal experience, though. To the comment on extreme musculature and a 4xl shirt being a dterent; I've found when some "intellegent individual" is full of "liquid courage", that makes you one of their favorite targets. I was a national-level competitor as a strength athlete while in College and also ran security at nightclubs to help pay for school. These situations were usually pretty easy to de-esccalate, but many drunks want to "prove their manhood" by trying to take on the big "muscle-head."

3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Oh yeah? My art can beat up your art.

Me? Troll? Surely you jest.

Don't make me throw my chi at you.

4. YODA

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

* Yoda runs from 1ONEfighting's chi ball.

5. Trent Tiemeyer

*laughs maniacally

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Brush your teeth!

|Cain|

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The sport aspect is confusing things. From reading the thread it sounds like every student of MMA regularly fights in UFC style comp's!

In reality all it means is MMA people study a mix of arts. But Andy with his knowledge of TMA's probably has a greater MMA knowlege anyway :confused:

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Too True

I see it more as stripping away the formal stuff and down to the grass routes techniques that will work in almost any enviroment.

Less situation specific and more generalist - hence no jump spinning axe kicks - despite how much they might hurt.

SONSHU

9. Swoop

Swoop Valued Member

As a style for fighting I believe that MMA will always be better than TMA simply because MMA has more scope to evolve.

If TMA has something incredible to offer it can be incorporated into any MMA style but it doesn't work the other way round because TMA is too rigid in it's ways and follows too many traditions.

TMA does have it's merits though. It offers art, beauty, tradition and it has a lot of history. And at the end of the day it is what inspires MMA.

You can dispute that point if you want to but you know I'm right.

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Thought I'd disputed all your points.

Are you right?

11. Sonshu

On the JKD side I dont thing it will have gone as far forward in the direction it was intened as the founder never really finished it but this is to me a TMA with less politics and rules, focusing more on the techniques.

I do think that MMA does offer new things, better pressure testing for one and also someone has blended techniques from 2 styles togther and found ways of linking things - like in TMA but with a bit more of a modern feel to it.

I think there is merit to both sides but as there is friction it is healthy competition.

SONSHU

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Do you think you could take some Wing Chun techniques, incorporate them into what you do and make them work as well as I do :confused:

What main techniques could you use better? Whats your main style or mix or arts?

13. Swoop

Swoop Valued Member

Actually MMA has a lot of original things to offer. It's developing as a martial art and now you're seeing things which haven't been covered in TMA in particular training methods. TMA could learn a lot from MMA but a lot of people refuse to accept it has it's merits

I love TMA's (I do wushu and wing chun) but I also love MMA. Unless you have done both FOR MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS then I don't think you can make a valid argument for either side.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The bottom line is whether your TMA, MMA whatever, who the hell cares :D As long as your training is realistic with effective techniques thats all that matters.

I don't know whether I'm TMA or MMA to be honest. We train various styles of Kung Fu (3 main ones). Training is kept pretty modern and in a what works way. Often going away from the classical way for simplicity and better footwork, often looking more kickboxing than Kung Fu.

But, not all TMA's should be beaten with the useless stick!

15. YODA

Did someone say STICK?

:D

16. Spike

Spike New Member

Quote fom Yoda:
    "Yep - that sounds like Spike. "

It`s the ancient chinese art of preventing your lips synching with the words your saying. The intention being to stop your opponent noticing what utter b*llocks you`re talking.

Quote from Sonshu:
    "I do think that MMA does offer new things, better pressure testing for one"

could you explain what you mean?

17. Sonshu

Ok Spike - Glad to

There are not many styles around that cover the full range of:

Stand up Striking
    Stand up Grappling
    Take Downs
    Ground Striking
    Ground Grappling

MMA and cross training do - when in sparing it allows you to be certain that you got the guy. This is pretty much the best legal pressure testing I can think of.

Hope this clears it up.

SONSHU

18. Trent Tiemeyer

I am reviving this thread because I love it dearly.

19. YODA

I'm moving this thread becasue I know where it's leading :p

20. Trent Tiemeyer

I'll be good.