MMA & Systema

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Samurai Jay, Feb 16, 2011.

1. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

3rd kyu, we had Brown for 3rd 2nd and 1st kyu this was back in 1985 the bujinkan was still thin on the ground then in the uk in fact Hatsumi graded me in person to 3nd kyu (brown) he does not even do 5th dan now! even then not all clubs used brown I dont know at all now.

did you know he now has purple hair! (No I am not kidding!) :hat: sumi

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At the risk of getting involved in a style vs style thread, perhaps they were crap and became slightly less crap....:)

Most Systema falls back on "you have to feel it" - Fair enough, I can buy that...but from the videos I see put out there there is nothing to convince me that I SHOULD seek it out, not when there are higher pedigree options open to me.

A bit like my attitude to Pa Kua really....

3. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6-rGAidCqk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6-rGAidCqk[/ame]
    I did this on him first but a lot quicker! and slammed him

4. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

no one is asking you to do it we all have our own path, If you dolnt like it who am I to change your mind?

personally I have gone and done a lot of things over the 39 years I have trained

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Shinden Fudo Ryu IIRC.

How much of that was being taught in 85? I would of thought it would of been more Gyokko-ryu with some Togakure thrown in for the ninjeriness.

Er why?

Seems a bit risky to be honest.

And how'd you end up grabbing nuts and chewing on his leg? :eek:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't know enough about Systema to comment on the technical details of the video. It may show a lot of subtleties that I'm missing.

But as an exercise, let's try putting random names on that video. Let's say it's a demonstration of MitchKwon Do by Grandmaster Mitch. Now watch the video again from that point of view.

Does the video demonstrate that I, Grandmaster Mitch, can defend against an attacker?

Does it demonstrate solid defences against a commited opponent?

Would you, with dispassionate eyes, think it was worth training with this guy?

Mitch

7. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

sorry that I have not time for more than Vlad There are a lot of good systema guys now all over the world it is just that Vlad trained a lot of them

You know it is still a new on the MA scene it is not my job to defend it I just train in it

in that other clip Michael was having a laugh with that guy,

8. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

do you have dispassionate eyes? the video is called "Camera testing" that is what they were doing if you want to learn the art you train in it and this was not an advert for that I put it on to show the movement thats all

9. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

you do Tai Chi!

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sure do, 2 months now, I've almost made it up to useless standard.

Oh did I say I have been doing martial arts since I was 17 including Kung Fu, Boxing, Jeet Kune Do and Eskrima?

Also I do teach all of those arts.

11. Mitch

I can absolutely accept the second explanation, but if so why make the first post?

Mitch

12. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

your right there was Gyokko-ryu koto ryu Togakure thrown in for the ninjeriness.
    but I was also a Black belt in shukokai Karate and had some boxing and Judo Training as well and a lot of real fights I grew up in Manchester! My Bujinkan years were fun and I trained with all the big names then

I was working in a night club and was taking out a Naughty boy and his Boxer friend side swiped me he gave me a black eye and did the big boxer mistake he had come in and done a flurry of punches then (big mistake) stepped back ! that gave me the room to make his day go horridly wrong

13. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

Tai Chi .Kung Fu, Boxing, Jeet Kune Do and Eskrima I have met people who did all those arts and none of them could cope in any way against Systema, they just failed soz about that :)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cool, we'll all pack up and start systema right away. .

15. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

is he was resisting or actually if he was stiff and would not fall well he would injure himself the point was to show the soft movement and the risibility to fall and go with strikes the is the first thing you need in all arts

now it is time to eat I have a life other than the Internet :cool:

16. Mitch

It's not the resistance to throws, locks etc or anything else, it's the fact that the attacker makes attacks in slow motion and with no intent.

Each to our own though. We should all train as we like. But it'd be great if you could now post a "real systema demo" as you originally mentioned whilst introducing that video.

Mitch

17. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

Because Systema is not a sport and the fact that we do not use and protective equipment I dont know what you want to see? if you resist systema at full speed you will be hurt

and like any art you can not understand it or feel it on a video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCQdJyrnHrU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCQdJyrnHrU[/ame] a bit of fast Systema

you work inside his movement

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74R-gOLAw00"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74R-gOLAw00[/ame]

now show me a Video where Boxers take there protective gear off and fight kick punch and use weapons

and a Video where 2 guys are in a cage and have a knife fight or base ball bat

because I have never seen a Sport Martial art that is worth doing in real life MMA will get you killed on the street you might as well kill your self

we train to do what we can to get by until we eventually we ALL get old DIE

I am not on here to defend Systema that is not my job make your own mind up but I sugest you try it before you knock it that goes for all arts

that is my 2 cents worth

18. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

1993 called, they want their arguments back.

You admit that you can't go full speed or full force in systema, so how are your students meant to build up any kind of experience with a resisting opponent or any sense of timing for striking.

As for minimal protective equipment and weapons

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zuj5jdY-k"]YouTube - Dog Brothers: WARNING: Stick fighting IS Dangerous...[/ame]

Funny how it looks like MMA with sticks.

19. Mitch

I disagree with everything else you say but this is a very good point :)

mitch

20. systema1

systema1 Valued Member