MMA = Street Effective Techniques?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Thomas, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

No, my personal objective is to become an able fighter. This thread however is about MMA on the street (this meaning that we who discuss it are asumed to have MMA knowledge, therefore grappling skills, therefore we should be able to outgrapple a non-grappler and stand up). There is no point in discussing what we would do if we had to fight a Gracie, Wanderlei Silva or even the local SAS PT instructor. I see merit in discussing the possibilities on fighting an untrained, yet determined person. If we assume the other party to be equal and fight the same way, then there is nothing to discuss.

2. Origami Itto

It is very likely if they are moving. Retreat, or push away, and kick at the right moment. It is a specific technique, not just any kick, though i have trained it very little myself. Still, wouldn't you rather kick someone in the nuts first to end the fight?

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

and just to add to what pankration said- it is quite legal to kick the side of the knee in MT, but people generally dont because its a crap place to kick someone

4. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

If I was in a fight and felt the need to kick someone in the nuts I don't think I'd hesitate, it's just another target. I don't spar with elbows either but in a fight I'd probably use elbows as soon as I got close enough. A groin shot isn't guaranteed to end the fight anyways, adrenaline can reduce pain.

5. Origami Itto

Ikken - what i meant is more like a front kick, using the foot to kick the knee from the front so it bends the wrong way. I think that it is a chinese technique. Yet another technique that can't be performed in sparring, like groin and throat strikes.

Pancration - please tell me that you agree that a groin kick is worth trying in a street fight!

6. notquitedead

I already I would use one if I needed to, but they aren't guaranteed to stop the fight.

7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

With staying on subject I think the info I posted earlier is stock techniques and applications you will get from an avarage MMA Gym which are all 100% applicable to the street situations and require 0% changing.

Which in essence shows the "style" is practical for the street and the ring just on the street you will not use all the moves as a first point of call but if I am attacked by a drunk guy on his own (yes this happened) and I am with 3 other guys all bigger than me I am happy to take it to the ground to ensure I control the div and don't hurt the guy anymore than I need to hence ensuring I am ok and mr 10 stella's is ok as well.

This is a valid use of a ground based arm bar or triangle choke but if its a free for all brawl then not but the other posted moves are more than adequate.

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

We should be assuming that our opponent will be capable of fighting and worth taking seriously, thus necessitating good training. If your definition of "untrained" is, as you said, someone who can't fight at all rather than someone who has no formal training but has experience, you should bear in mind that not everyone you face is going to be like that, and most people won't be.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  9. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

The front kick to the knee is going to be very hard to land as the target is narrow in the plane of attack, (unlike using a roundhouse which makes the leg large in the plane of attack). A tradition front (snap) kick woud be hard to put enough power behind to damage the knee and the best you could widely hope for is some pain in the knee cap, A stomping attack would be better, but you are more likely to slide off the leg and will more than likely throw your weight forward so watch out for their counter, and unless the knee is straight id doubt you would do any serious damage.

10. Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly New Member

If your going for a kick to the front of the kneecap your strike should be about five inches above the knee and thrust down toward the kneecap, the apex of the snap of your thrust should be on the kneecap itself. Targeting five inches above the knee allows you to attack closer to the inner circumference of his leg where he as less mobility and if he moves his knee outward you can slide your kick into his inner thigh/groin or if he moves his knee inward, you can strike to his outer thigh and slide your kick into his supporting leg/knee. These are snapping thrust kicks so don't settle for anything less then a break.

11. Sonshu

During a fight I could not count to 5 let alone 5 CM - I just hit the leg.

12. Origami Itto

Regarding the kick i described: can't find a pic of that but the effect would be similar to this:

http://www.dragonslist.com/pics/data/500/5927DLKick1.JPG

In the kick that i have in mind the body would be facing to the front and the toes would be pointing the opposite way, if that helps. Is that (what i describe, not the pic) what you mean by stomping attack? Both attacks could seriously damage the knee joint if landed properly - not that hard if you use them as counters. Sorry for going off-topic, i'll stop here now.

13. Sonshu

Maybe I am not practiced enough but I feel there very hard to do when compaired to a thai style kick.

14. notquitedead

In that pic you posted, you might be able to knock the guy over but I doubt your going to break his knee.

Were you talking about a kick like this?
    [​IMG]
    That isn't exactly a strong kick.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Are you talking about a mantis kick? twist kick?

They can be strong if used right....

16. Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly New Member

A mantis kick can easily break/dislocate the knee as long as you've applied it with a strong thrust and snap using the heel of the foot instead of the ball of your foot. You can generate more power with that kick if you push your hips forward into it and have a skip step with your supporting leg.

17. notquitedead

How many knees have you broken with it? :rolleyes:

18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And how many noses have we broken, and how many joints have we dislocated.

*sigh*

Again, it's one of those "good to have it in the arsenal, but don't rely on anything to be the fight-ending move" techniques.

19. notquitedead

I was referring to the fact that Jim Kelly knows just how 'easy' it is to break knees with that kick...

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

funny, when it was legal in the UFC i didnt see very many broken legs