MMA Rules Compared to 'The Street'

Discussion in 'MMA' started by notquitedead, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Grappling knowledge + dirty tricks = score of 10.
    No grappling knowledge + dirty tricks = score of 5.

It's pretty simply stuff really :)

2. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Catch wrestling (which I've never trained in but would like to) is supposedly full of gouging and other ways of fouling. Also, when you are grappling and get frustrated, it's not uncommon to grind your chin into your opponent to make them move and possibly give you a sub (this could be done to the eye in a real fight). Not sure if cross facing is considered fouling, but it's certainly useful.

3. darran

darran New Member

next time you are closed in clinch, having your head pulled against you opponents chest, try this. Take your head and ram it up (as long as he is similar height) to the base of his chin and on top of this place the palm of your hand over his breathing area (mouth and nose) and push back on his head. He is now defending, he isnt attacking so you have control over him as he is fighting desperately to stop you making him feel very uncomfortable, now add into that biting. I am sure you all know how to keep positional control while in clinch and the footwork so you dont get thrown, anyway you must keep this when doing that. You can also from this positon dig your chin into his collar bone area and pull in at the base of his spine while bending down and pushing him back.

Just two ways to cause a lot of discomfort to any opponent inside clinch. one is by attack and the other is by counter.

one is done while in clinch, you are in lower clinch you then proceed to swing knee to his thigh, counter is simply shin block just as you would with a kick. This hurts like hell for him and hurts like hell for you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I cross face when grappling (its a great way to get an arm for an armbar), and grind my chin into them all the time... and they do it back to me. Our instructor doesn't mind it, nor do any other people who attend the classes.

5. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

darran,

What you described about putting your hand on their face reminds me of the "shredder". It's a tool developed by Richard Dimitri and some other guys that involves a series of eye gouges etc. centered on the face, head, and throat (I don't know much about it, I only have a basic idea of what it is). The point is to cause you to go from prety to predator and make them become defensive. (here's a link if you want to find out more about it: www.senshido.com)

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

LOL cool. where the hell do you get all these pics from 1One?

8. darran

darran New Member

It very well looks like it and their description seems to fit what we are taught to do in a clinch grappling situation.

I am a little confused at some of the comments...

30 years abnd I have been at this game for almost 7 years and knew about this after the first couple of months training in Muay Thai.... strange! is this just another marketing scam?

well I claim there isnt anything new under the sun. But who am I to make such claims.

"the shredder" seems to be the palm-face gouging attack used in Burmese and Thai fighting... this has been around for centuries. It works, yes it does. It automatically makes the opponent go on the defensive just as the man claims. But I wouldnt stick my thumbs or fingers anywhere near the opponents mouth, I dont care who you think you are a finger is a lump of bone and flesh and its gonna get crushed by my chompers when it comes anywhere near them.

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Yuki, that was on the Senshido website.

10. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

I would argue with that. What about running kung, leaping kung, lightfoot kung, and the arts of stealth?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  11. Trent Tiemeyer

N O O O O O!

This thread was so dead, why man, why?

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It's up on the front page. And now the madness can start again...

13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I think that there are a few illegal techniques in MMA that could easily be applied by someone trained in MMA. Mainly throat grabs (rumored to be the most dangerous technique in Ancient Pankration), strkies to that point where the occipital lobe meets the spine (at this point a hard strike can cause the brain to shake, that's why rabid punches are illegal, this point is hard to target unless they've got there back to you but has a high probablity of being lethal if it lands flush, some pugilist-boxing deaths occur from this), Throat strikes, spine strikes, and pelvic strikes.

Some illegal techniques aren't actually more dangerous but may create more opportunities for a striker however these need practice that you don't get in MMA, UNFORTUNATELY VIRTUALLY ALL MMA RULES ARE BIASED TOWARDS BJJ, I mainly mean elbows for Pride and some others, downward elbow chops in nearly all MMA (I know owners don't want to have regulatory bodies coming down on them for excessive lacerations but just add a damn pad to the elbows to preserve there power but limit cuts, like MMA punching gloves), most MMA have stiff rules on ground strikes that severly limit kicks and knees. I understand kicks and knees to a grounded head can be fatal but I wish the ground rule was based on a 3-point contact rule. Without this distinction strikers must either wrestle or give their BJJ opponent another chance to stand up and shoot them down instead of being allowed to clinch a kneeled opponent and knee or kick them. Head butts can be effective in a clinch but there's no way to prevent excessive laceration without overprotecting the head as a target or limiting one's senses in the fight. Stomping is also not allowed but I understand that one stomps can crush people's bones or organs.

As for gouging techniques (including fishhooking and gouging lacerations), biting, clawing and small joint manipulation they can be a useful counter in some submission or clinch scenarios but only in close range. Any of this techniques at any other range would leave you with broken/broken off small joints and no teeth or no tongue. Besides obviously they can't be practiced safely in an effective manner.

14. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

1/ I have used hair on more than several occasions. It is very effective. Eye gouging I wouldn't use unless I was mounted on someone or something.

3/ Plenty of times. Slipping around and taking someone's back is so easy on the street. On the ground, I end up with back control a fair bit. You start throwing punches from mount, chances are they'll roll over onto their stomach.

4/ Could be effective when you have someone locked up on the ground and what them to comply with what you say without hurting them.

6/ Wouldn't you have MORE room?

What is your point here anyway? You've switched back and forth between contexts.... one rule you take and argue the pros/cons :confused: on the street, then the next rule you argue why you do/don't like it in the ring??? :confused:

15. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Most of these techniques can be done easier with simple basic MMA training which is the point he was making - eye gouges are not the world ending techniques nor are kicking downed opponents as you have to down them first and kicking them in England is assult no longer self defence.

I think this is his point

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Could you clarify for me?

Are you saying kicking them while they are down is classed as assault or kicking in general is assault and not self defence? :eek:

or is kicking them in England assault and if so where is your England? :D :D

17. Sonshu

I assume your joking right? - im case your not kicking them when they are down is NOT self defence and anyone would have a hard HARD time to get aquited in a court room for using such a tactic so be ware if anyone in England does as its not self defence anymore kicking a person on the ground who is not a threat to you is assult.

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

That's what I thought you meant :)

It was just the wording of the last bit sounded to me that you were saying Kicking is no longer classed as Self defence! Thought I'd missed some mad new law that had come out!

19. Sonshu

No kicking I think is harder to get away with than punching someone I would think as it "could" imply you know what your doing. Still better than punching someone is open hand stuff as you can use this better in court should the need ever arise.