MMA..new?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by melb, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ok, trolling and idiocy aside answer this question -

"Do you lock the door to your house when you leave it to go out?"

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

you know what im going to say to that dont you?

3. Master Betty

all in all, how come melb hasn't been banned in this thread yet? Incessant trolling, multi-posting despite being told on numerous occasions by mods not to, personal attacks, swearing, veiled insults as well as general massively antisocial comments with the stuff about police etc.

I don't get it.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's probably because long before he actually broke down he demonstrated himself to be pretty much harmless.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm not locking the thread, due to the childish antics of 1.

on it like a car bonnet...

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If the TOS gets violated then it gets dealt with. It may not be on the timeline you prefer but that's life.

Antisocial comments about police however aren't exactly a violation of the TOS.

7. Master Betty

wasn't complaining, just genuinely curious.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's more sad than offensive, that's why.

9. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I love the tags.

10. forever young

forever young Valued Member

lol melb thanks for reminding me why dropping wc and taking up bjj was the single best martial arts decision i have ever made lolol

11. melb

melb Banned Banned

Why is my opinion of police such a sore point? Are police beyond criticism? I said in another post that I wasnt criticising police in general and not even Australian police in general but specifically, Melbourne police. Numerous police officers facing 1 teenager who has a knife, and that teenager ends up dead and we still hear the same old 'theyre doing a dangerous job..you dont know what its like..hmmm ok..so wheres the line? And as for what am I doing to keep society safe? Absolutely nothing but I contribute to society in another way..society cant function with only police officers..we'd have nothing to eat for one, no housing etc. Now how Ive made 'massively antisocial comments' about the police I dont know..what a joke to be honest. My opinion of a good person is someone who walks their dog 365 days a year. And forever young, Im one guy who does WC..if you dont like what I say it doesnt mean much..doesnt mean that one style is better than another..but yeah I get the sarcasm..thing is anyone who drops/takes up any art without firstly determining for themselves why theyre doing it is a misguided individual..I fail to see how some posts on a MA forum could remind you of anything about changing MA...especially when the posts were about police...anyway this thread aint gonna go anywhere..just wanted to say my piece.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That happened in December 2008, right?

Let's see: agitated kid with a pair of knives, three officers tried twice to spray him with OC with no effect, and he kept threatening officers to either kill him or he was going to kill them. Since they had no other means at their disposal at the time, they were justified in that shooting. Since then they're now issued Tasers.

My own take? I would have probably done the same thing if all other means failed. Young or old, man or woman, small or big, if you have a knife and are threatening to kill me with it, you're dangerous.

13. melb

melb Banned Banned

Yeah my take on it is this...for one how would English police do it? two, what is the use of carrying a baton if youre too scared to use it? You say there was no other means at their disposal? I would say retreating would be one, the use of batons two. Firearms against the community youre supposed to be protecting should be an absolute last resort. Maybe we just have different opinions Kuma..and yeah youre right it did happen in 2008, I did not know the teenager but I feel enough is enough. there have been so many police shootings in Victoria that I feel the public has to say something..They killed him in an area in which there were no other people, just lots of space..my real question is this..why not retreat?

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You'd have to ask one to find out. I do know that they have personnel trained with firearms for incidents similar to this one.

Because if you're close enough to hit him with a baton, you're also close enough for him to cut or stab you. Batons are useful but they're only one tool in the toolbox.

Pretty sure it's the same in the UK, as here retreating is considered neglect of duty. You can definitely get distance but if he's stalking after you, he's still a threat.

That's asking those officers to unnecessarily risk serious bodily injury. Sure that kid had a family but so did the officers there. They're no good to their families all slashed up in the hospital or dead in a casket.

From all accounts, they did everything they could prior to this, so it was a lat resort.

Coming from an LE background, I can understand exactly why they did what they did. Maybe you have these grandoise visions of them taking the kid on one on one, action movie style, but that's not how things work. You stop the threat the best way you can while minimizing the risk to yourself.

What do they do then? Just walk away? Can't. Not in our job description. If he's angry enough to threaten a uniformed police officer with violence, it's obvious he could be a danger to anyone else nearby.

15. melb

melb Banned Banned

No. They retreat but keep him in sight. And manage it from there. This happened somewhere with lots of space. I wonder whether you have a brain to be honest. You say if youre close enough for baton work youre close enough to get hit by that knife..does that attitude not basically say that cops these days are pussies? What did cops do before they had guns to shoot people? Cops for the previous 2000+ years...did they have guns? A baton is longer than a knife..you have your colleagues to back you up...yet you would still shoot a teenager with a knife without using your batons or backing down? I wouldve thought the whole point of a cop joining a MA forum would be to gain knowledge of how to use their baton..but sadly no..I give up. This is just a ****.

16. melb

melb Banned Banned

Thats why I asked about the English..what would they do? my problem Kuma is that if cops arent prepared to ever put themselves in the line of fire and risk life and limb, we end up with dead civillians. Your argument is that no cops should ever die. If you dont want risks dont join the police or army..If any army had the same mentality as your police, the country would be overun in an instant. Basically, if you want to be a cop, then grow a pair and dont shoot kids without ever even pulling that big long stick outta ya belt...the same stick thats dealt with knives for thousands of years!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  17. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

How do you manage a guy with a knife from a "safe" distance? Chi?

Anyway, it's once again glaringly obvious you've never actually struck anyone for real. One strike is simply not going to do it consistently, and by the second he's on top of you. The knife is a tad shorter but it's considerably more damaging when it lands, and irrationally violent people have this uncanny willingness to close in despite the 'tactical considerations'(read getting freakin maced repeatedly) that would keep normal fighters at a reasonable distance.

If it were me, I'd rather have the knife than the stick. He might knock me out with the stick before I can close to my happy place, but it's not likely.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The boy told the police dispatcher "Call the cops because I'm planning to kill some people tonight." Do you know how many other people were nearby, innocent people who if he decided to he could attack? Did you know they were inside a fenced in skate park and retreating far enough away where the boy couldn't attack them was strategically unsound? Did you know they actually fired warning shots first before shooting the boy? You're judging solely on your own opinion and ignoring facts.

If the offcers retreated from that situation, they would be putting a lot of other people at risk of injury or death themselves.

This comment really demonstrates your complete lack of experience with any kind of real world violence.

There is a difference between being brave and being reckless. Reckless is what silly amateurs do.

Law enforcement in the US have been carrying firearms for as long as they have been around. Ever watch a Wild West movie? As for city officers, though they weren't issued most did carry their own personal firearms.

Law enforcement as we know it today is less than 200 years old, by the way.

Actually, though I'm no Escrima guy I'm not bad with a baton. And because I train with it and know how to use it, that's why I wouldn't take a stupid risk with it as I also know its limitations. If he lunges at me and I strike him with a baton, how is that going to stop him from continuing to try to stab or cut me? Answer: it doesn't.

19. melb

melb Banned Banned

Ratty Id rather have the stick and forget all the capsicum spray..all the spray has done is detract from the fact that they have batons..

20. melb

melb Banned Banned

Look Kuma no matter what you say the end result was numerous cops surrounding this kid. How they acted is normal by your account, its absolutely cowardly by mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.