MMA..new?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by melb, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melb

melb Banned Banned

How many guys out there have found wing chun to be a good style? All we ever get these days is - WC is all about secret strikes and mixed martial arts is better - Ive done WC since the 90s and as far as MMA goes i reckon its just another way for the sifus of today to get the extra dollar. Honestly, how many people are really proficient in more than one art? Wasnt combining judo with boxing a mixed martial art back in the day? Any decent teacher would take a style and use techniques from other styles. They would still market themselves as one art tho..nowadays its a different story.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome back mel....still flogging a dead horse i see

3. melb

melb Banned Banned

yeah still speaking my mind hannibal...still disagreeing with me I see...do you have your latest UFC mag by your side? Judo n boxing..theres a mix...tell me please what there is about todays MMA that makes it SO special....

4. Hannibal

Still making incorrect assumptions to support your position as well? Awesome

MMA is an integrated approach rather than just slapping arts together - it has no style bias and therefore is brutally honest in it's pragmatism. With no agenda or political spin one is free from personal bias and what rises to the surface is the cream rather than the crap

It is consistently pressure tested and theory is not permissable without praxis to endorse it.

It does not rely on lineage, tradition or myth to explain itself and can provide countless hours of documented evidence that cannot be exaggerated or out and out lied about

The practitioners approach it as athletes and train their attributes to a peak so they are ever more dangerous than some out of shape bloater practicing a style that only worked against peasants

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Why don't we see WC guys doing well in reasonable numbers in MMA?

6. Hannibal

or "at all"

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think the training for one. We have a proffessional series and much better athletes, much like we have in boxing.
    Without the headbutts, eye jabs and groin kicks it is the closest we can get to real combat (along with stuff like the dog brothers do).
    One or two stepsparring, or even the more combative sparring we are used to is no longer enough. Even the more combative sparring does not reach the levels many MMA fighters are used to. The bar has been raised.

I think it also appeals to young men/women who want to belong to something.
    Youth clubs have been shut down, kids on street corners are viewed as a potential problem, and street life is seen as dangerous due to the knife and other violent crime. MMA offers a way out, the belonging to a gang without the street violence.

MMA offers cross training under one roof. Boxing, Muay Thai, Bjj and so on.

Most other arts, Wing Chun included cannot offer this.

8. melb

melb Banned Banned

So anyone who teaches this MMA obviously come from one martial art....Personally Ive found WC to be a great art. What I dont understand is why MMA is touted as the best MA in the world when the guy teaching it learnt something before teaching and you cant just combine arts like youre mixing drinks....

9. Hannibal

No you can't - there has to be a synthesis

MMA is an integrated approach not an art in and of itself

10. Hannibal

Technically no one should be teaching MMA - you train via the part method and blend the results

this is the way i train my JKD by the way...the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

11. melb

melb Banned Banned

You can spar wing chun. Stop basing your life onyourself

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
  12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think that you can.

In kicking range I may be more Muay Thai, closer in and I will be boxing, closer still and it may be trapping hands, some FMA or a plain ol' headbutt. All this happens in a second (or two). So yes, you can mix and match with flow and ease.

13. Hannibal

Who was that aimed at mel? Your "throwing mud at the wall" posting style makes things confusing

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Melb, I asked you a question. It's pertinent to the discussion. If MMA was simply a repackaging and remarketting of old concepts, would not WC practicioners be competent and capable with what's going on in an MMA match? Why does this not seem to be the case?

15. melb

melb Banned Banned

WC guys arent training for a ring fight...and never have

16. Hannibal

Translation - too scared

17. melb

melb Banned Banned

problem is you guys say whatever style does well in a glove fight is good and everything else is rubbish. My point is a real fight happens without gloves and its best to know how to fight without gloves..I think trapping is a great skill but unfortunately the emphasis these days is on 'fight with gloves on and wrestle as well....

18. Hannibal

Mel how many more times, NONE OF MY FIGHTS ARE IN THE RING

ALL and I do mean ALL are done at "street level"

19. melb

melb Banned Banned

OK Hannibal..and tell me how is it that you have avoided going to prison?

20. Hannibal

Jeebers, Pretty much everyone on here knows why I have had literally hundreds of scraps and have never been in jail....work it out buttercup

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.