MMA classes

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by conure1986, May 11, 2015.

1. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you very much for all the advice you've given me on this forum. It's been hugely appreciated and both here, and at my local gym, the community around MA has been amazing.

Anyway, my local gym does classes in Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing, Krav Maga and 'MMA'. Unfortunately I don't get out of work early enough to ever make the BJJ classes, so Ive stuck to Muay Thai 3 or 4 times a week over the last while.

There is an 'MMA' class on tomorrow night which lasts 2 hours, and I phoned up and the receptionist couldn't tell me much about it. I would usually ask one of the trainers but as it's tomorrow I won't get a chance - but I'm very tempted to book in for the session.

I guess I'm a bit concerned that a 2 hour MMA session will be wasted on someone that can't make any BJJ classes, as I know how big grappling is in MMA.

Can anyone offer any advice on what tends to happen in an MMA class? Is it worth it for someone that pretty much only trains Muay Thai, and finally, is it stupid to train MMA when I'm so inexperienced?

Thank you!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It depends on your instructor man. I know a Muay Thai guy who occasionally comes to MMA at ours. He's pretty much useless on the ground, so he's started taking BJJ classes.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nah man.

Do what Chuck Liddell did and bang people unconscious before they can take you down.

Job done. :cool:

4. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Thank you guys. I think I'll give it a miss for now then. I'd prefer to have a focused base on one area I think, and I don't want to cause burnout!

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Very smart :)

6. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Do it. Go to one, get a feel for it - doesn't matter if you have no groundwork, everyone starts somewhere and lots of people can't strike to save their lives. If you like it, work out a plan to do more and improve. If you don't like it - you've spent 120 minutes finding out