MMA-cersice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Freeform, May 18, 2011.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

2. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Why not? MMA-ercise isn't exactly a new phenomenon these days anyways, and as you pointed out, it's just an extension of what's already been the case with boxercise, thai-bow, etc.

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

It's Tae Bo FOOL!!!

You will spell my family style correctly! :hat:

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Why not? Heart disease kills about forty times as many people as street thugs do. Pad work is a really good workout, and a heck of a lot more fun than running on a treadmill. It's good that this option is out there in the community for people who want a good workout but don't necessarily want black eyes and cauliflower ear.

Boxing didn't disappear as a combat sport when some people started using boxing padwork solely for cardio exercise. So why would an MMA equivalent be bad for people who want to fight MMA?

5. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Yeah, i don't have any trouble with this.

Training just for physical excersise is all good and well, it's the hucksters and "teh deadly" morons that i have beef with.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Still don't understand why people waste time judging others.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

no lie. may take.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Quite right.

Shorty:p

Firstly some MMA-fit thing was bound to happen, but secondly, if we're realistic about it, it's been going on for years. How many people who train MMA are actually training for a fight? If they're not training for a fight how many spar with real danger of getting KOd or seriously hurt? If not sparring with real danger of that how many with slight risk? Or how many with limited risk of minor injury?

All I mean is that these things operate on a sliding scale, a continuum, and that for many people "I do MMA" has never meant "I want to fight professionally" or anything like. Sounds cool though.

Mitch

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

plus this course gives guys like me, studying to become physiotherapists and strength and conditioning coaches, another qualification in a sport were really interested in. granted this doesnt even half a blue belt in bjj but most jobs only care about the paper in your hand and how you've used it. still planning to earn my belts. jjust gives me an oppurtunity

10. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Sorry about that; I meant no disrespect to your family or to your school's lineage. It does appear, though, that different families do use different transcription systems.

http://www.thai-bo.co.uk/

11. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

He was kidding lol!

12. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

4 fitness and self defence, eh? Is that 4 times the training and self defence you'd get from other systems? Or did he just spend more time training than going to school?

13. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

That is not the r34l.

[​IMG]

Accept no imitations.;)

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

While I have no problem with it as an activity (I'd encourage it in fact) I do like things to be correctly labelled.
    That's clearly no qualification as an MMA instructor.
    An MMA instructor would need to my mind some of the following:-
    A (preferrably succesful) competitive career in a martial art (boxing, judo, thai, MMA, BJJ, wrestling...karate even).
    At least a black belt (or equivelant) in one of those styles. Two black belts would be nice.
    Students that actively compete in some of the above formats. Preferrably to at least semi-pro level but pro is better.
    Guest instructors that can teach what he is not qualified to teach (a boxing coach at a BJJ based club for example).

I don't see that course providing those requirements so, ergo, that course does not qualify you as an MMA coach.

What's wrong with "Fitness martial arts"?
    I tell you what's wrong with that...it doesn't sound as "hard" as "Mixed martial arts". :)

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  15. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

thai-bow? I thought he was talking about an archery style originating in Thailand.

16. hext

hext Valued Member

It's it's done correctly with a qualified instructor and gets people off the sofa then good luck to them..

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I don't know why more gyms don't do this. You can make more money from the 50 or so people training for fitness than you ever will in a class that need loads of space and lots of 1 on 1. It's easily taught and doubles as a cardio session for fighters

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

It was bound to happen sooner or later.
    As long as proper technique is being taught then I see nothing wrong with it.