MMA - Brain Injuries

Discussion in 'MMA' started by inthespirit, Jun 20, 2013.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

An interesting in-depth article on MMA and Brain Injuries:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...erral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin&hpt=hp_bn15

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The reality is... anytime you get punched in the head... you have head trauma and the risk for long term problems skyrockets. MMA isn't immune to that at all. There are some differences with boxing... but head trauma is head trauma. Micro bleeds and brain bruising are what they are. Educate yourself on the risks before jumping in.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Interesting stuff. I think there is a need for more 'informed consent' amongst parents starting their children in classes in any style that involves head contact. I think its one of those things that a lot of people involved in contact sports don't really think about - particularly at the amateur level.

I also wonder if there should be more 'no head contact' type bouts available for amateurs?

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Trouble with no head contact bouts is that you are then doing something else completely. It's not an alteration it's a diffent sport.

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I don't see a problem with that. As long as people know that what they're doing is not full MMA and are happy to go that route, there might be a place for those sorts of bouts.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

They are essentially sub grappling with leg kicks and knees. good for experience for those coming from pure sub grappling though.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's where the guard is kept I have a problem with. I suppose it's only relevant for those that want to progress to head contact but not guarding your head isn't a great habit to learn

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

a few a those mixed up with some straight striking comps is ideal.

obviously any one ruleset in isolation isnt ideal to prepare for mixed martial arts.

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I don't know what his doctoral focus in biochemistry was, but I hope it wasn't neuroscience. Microtraumas and subconcussions aren't exactly new information. While it may be big news in sports since the NFL lawsuits, it's been established in medicine for awhile now. I guess it was just more successfully downplayed and suppressed until recently.