Mixing/creating styles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Matty_H, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

This line of thought presupposes that when new styles are created material is taken away. In general I guess it pays to be a bit wary about people offering their "own style", but a lot of founders (all of the decent ones) add things as well. There are things I could learn doing BJJ that no judo or koryu jujutsu school could teach me. Likewise, I would get things out of studying JKD that I couldn't find in wing chun, boxing, fencing, or any other MA that Bruce Lee studied.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't think you have to guess. How about comparing reports of PTSD in war veterans as compared to MMA fighters?

Just because the endocrine response might be similar, that does not take into account how the brain responds to it.

Roller coasters are fun, car crashes are not.

Are MMA matches fights? Yes.

Are MMA matches more brutal than many street fights? Yes.

Is that the same as fighting for your life or being in a war? Mental health records, talking to people who have and suicide rates would suggest not.

3. David Harrison

I think that everyone creates their own style to a certain degree. Once you are able to discern what works best for you and under what circumstances, you are no longer practicing in exactly the same way as anyone else, and have effectively created a personalised system based on principles you know to work (within the framework of your chosen practice).

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yeah, I like that approach. I guess I'd be interested in looking at the immediate reaction of an MMA fight as compared to say, a singular firefight, rather than a campaign. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the length of deployment is correlated with the chances of your developing PTSD. Now that might still be caused by a discrete event, and it's just that longer campaigns make you more likely to encounter that sort of discrete event, but from what I've read it seems like a cumulative effect.

5. David Harrison

That is my understanding too, but I'm not qualified to give a definitive opinion.

However, from my experience I can say that I've found that context does play a big role in stress response. Whether real fights or full-on sparring, knowing you have backup, or at least knowing that someone will call an ambulance if things turn sour changes how I respond and react. Context also changes the severity of shock in the aftermath too.

Edit: expanding on the theme of context, which makes sense when thinking of humans as pack animals, it's not just about "realness". Defending yourself as the underdog is more stressful than doing the same as a member of the dominant pack. Consider how door supervisors react to violence as compared to someone on their own fending off a pack of aggressors. We have social context drilled into us from birth, and perhaps it's in our genes to some extent.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

PTSD or ASR (acute stress reaction) as it's now called is significantly more common amongst those who are either first timers in warfare experiencing things for the first time and among those at the end of a lengthy deployment. That's according the figures from the 'combat stress' briefing I was given in work last week.

The actual figures were not given out but the brief I received seems to support the hypothesis mentioned by philosoraptor. Just thought id let you know your not far off the official 'thinking'. How that relates to mma I shall leave to you guys to discuss.

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Im from a hybrid system, and it combines four "styles" of martial art. Karate, Judo,Boxing and Jujitsu. Now say what you will but op has a valid point when he says what if I would pick different techniques than guy did who made this new style. I can get that, I wouldnt want to practice a fairly useless style either, neither would any of you really. Most of the time you see a mixed style its never really about mastering any one particular art its usually about mastering what to do if some one tries to hurt you, I think Km is a good example.
    Lets just be honest though and look at the four Tma I listed above right Karate,Judo,boxing and Jujitsu. It isnt hard to accept that combineing those martial arts is effective. Whats hard is being able to look at all the technique and decideing what is effective and what isnt. You cant do that overnight, you cant do it in a year and you cant do it with out accesss to some resources.
    Dont be afraid to Practice Hybrid martial arts. Be afraid of practiceing an ineffective martial art.

8. David Harrison

Unless you're preserving an art as a cultural artifact, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't assimilate techniques from other arts, if you see the utility in them.

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Thats an excellant point david. Ive been doing a Hybrid called Zanshin Karate for some time now and we dont speak Japanese or wear gis or bow or anything else Japanese in class except wear belts and practice some japanese system techniques, that lack of japanese culture dosent bother me at all, in fact it makes things alot easier for me as a student. Im going to take it a step further, I actually left a martial arts system because I didnt like all the traditional symantics.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

War vs an MMA bout is a false analagy.

Training for war vs training MMA is a much more equivalent comparison.

The USA are using MMA style training and competition as a way of ensuring competitive drive and exposure to adrenaline in all its marines.

Context dependent combatatives are then layered ontop the root combatatives required for competition.

One advantage of this is that everybody gets some exposure to adrenalin and gets used to working through it.

Is this the same as suffering asocial violence through war? of course not, and if it were, doing it would not be that helpful, but its still a very good start and may actually act as a partial stress innoculant.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As you have no level in either this is just hot air...and wrong by the way

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Having just done a course in "basic" grappling (an introductory course in BJJ offered at the college where I work), and having studied striking arts for nearly 30 years, let me go on record as saying that you're mistaken. In the same way that people who thought you'd fall off the edge of the world if you sailed long enough were mistaken. People could point to dozens of high-level MMA competitors who came from a grappling background and then did some BASIC crosstraining in striking and proceeded to rule their respective divisions.

13. Dead_pool

:bang:
    And what is your experience in this matter?

PS this was Pride _ http://m.youtube.com/results?q=pride soccer kick highlights&sm=1

14. Hannibal

15. Dead_pool

I'd forgotten how brutal Pride was.

I'm guessing the last time your ITF man here saw standing grappling at a pride event.......... *insert own joke here *

16. Hannibal

Cards against MAP!!!

17. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I am seeing mma fighters with over 25 fights refuse to go pro. Often they get matched up with people who have less a than 5 fights. They then Bragg about how awesome they are. There is a lack of quality control in mma as well.

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Sand bagging has always existed.

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

undoubtedly but you still knocked or choked someone the hell out and thats more public proof of combative ability regardless.

20. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

True. But combat ability is not always black and white, is it? And not all combat is equally brutal.