Mixing Cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sean, Oct 28, 2005.

1. sean

sean THOR!

Just a question about carido;

Will mixing roadwork cardio (e.g running) with HIIT be a waste of time?

Thanks

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's all going to depend on what you goal is. You need to be training specific to that goal.

Generally HIIT is anaerobic - meaning exactly as the names states... High Intensity Interval Training.... the 'interval' means that it's something closer to simulating an anaerobic sport like boxing... than it would be a sport that relys on aerobic conditioning such as marathon running.

If you're road work is more about aerobic cardio (long runs at an even pace) than it is about anaerobic (shorter all out sprints broken up with intervals of jogging) then it's not going to hurt you to get in a day of aerobic cardio or two in the week.

For most combat style sports the breakdown is roughly 70% anaerobic 30% aerobic. So with that in mind.... your anaerobic conditioning is what you want to focus on. But it doesn't mean that you should completely dismiss aerobic capacity either.

Again - make some decisions about what your training for and design your routines accordingly. If you were planning on fighting competitively then it'd make no sense to train like a marathon runner. While you'd probably be great at marathons because of that kind of training... you'd gas out fast in the ring.

3. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I have to agree with Slip.

What are your goals, what are you training to accomplish, and what are you currently doing?

Slip, where did you get that 70/30 ratio?

4. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Probably from Ross :p

5. Athleng Nordic

:D

Seriously though where did it come from and what's the reason for the ratio?

6. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Its true, probably from ross :D, http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym3.htm : thats the article where ross describes boxing and its aerobic/anaerobic breakdown.

Im dont know exactly how the studies were conducted to come to these conclusions, but i think i can tell you the reasoning behind it :p.

Hm, ill try and summarize the 3 main types of muscle fibres real quick,

Type I fibers: These are mainly red in color to due the higher concentration of blood capillaries -> greater blood supply -> greater amount of oxygen. These are associated with long duration activity of low to medium intensity.

Type IIa fibers: These are white in color -> less capillaries, able to perform at medium-high intensity, but at a shorter duration.

Type IIb fibers: Also white in color, for High intensity, short duration contractions.

Hopefully you can see how this applys to specific sports, and combat arts in this case. This leads to the energy systems that power these muscle fibers, hint: think oxygen, and lack off :D

Different Energy Systems:

Aerobic: This energy system does its work in the presence of oxygen, and is what largely fuels our type I muscle fibers.

Anaerobic: This system does its work without the presence of oxygen, powering both our type IIa and type IIb muscle fibers, since no oxygen is present, fermentation occurs, where lactic acid is the eventual product- accumulation of this results in muscle fatigue.(when the lactic acid cannot be carried away to the liver as fast as it is being produced). It seems that these last about 60 seconds

In the type IIb muscle fibers there are also stores of phosphocreatine(PC), and these stores are used to rebuild ATP which powers muscle contraction. (this is for high intensity and does not last long~ 10 seconds) Creatine supplementaion goes in here too :p

As martial arts are mainly high intensity bouts, the anaerobic system is going to be utilized the most, which include the PC system, and lactic acid fermentation. Im not really sure how they measure the 70:30, but from this and basic knowledge of martial arts, you can see how they may have arrived at this ratio.

I guess i didnt really even answer your question :cry:

Heres an article on avant labs that may interest you http://www.mindandmuscle.net/content/page-302.html
    And heres an excellent article on all of this, and ways of enchancing the specific systems(atp-PC mainly) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other21.htm

7. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

Reading behind the lines with the Science:

Interval Sprints after your workout one day, Running/Jogging the next with lots of different anaerobic stuff you can do like Weighted Burpees or Bears and go back and forth between Heavy Bag Punching & Kettlebells during your workout. Basically, find a couple of other anaerobic things you can do and add that to your workout on top of Running/Jogging and Interval Sprints alternate days post-workout and you've got 70/30. Or, in other words, you're not neglecting aerobic conditioning there's just more anaerobic stuff worth focussing on and the anaerobic is worth focussing on more in and of itself.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  8. Athleng Nordic

Thanks Boxy that helps. Man when I'm done with my Doctorate I'm SO going to study Bio-Physics.

By the way what does ATP mean?

9. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

ATP stands for adenosine triphosphate. It is a nucleotide, that consists of the sugar ribose, with the nitrogenous base adenine and a chain of three phosphate groups bonded to it. It powers ALL cellular work. The bonds between the phosphate groups of ATP can be hydrolyzed (or broken by the addition of a water molecule) to release one of the phosphates which is refered to inorganic phosphate, the remaining molecule is now adenosine diphoshphate(ADP), as there are only 2 phosphates left in its tail :p. This reaction is exergonic (or energy releasing) and releases 7.3 kcal of energy per mole of ATP hydrolyzed.

How does this molecule perform work you ask? (or maybe you wont :D) Well, the inorganic phosphate molecule that breaks off attachs to other molecules and phosphorylates(attachs) to them, causing them to be more reactive(or less stable) so they are able to perform the desired action.

ATP is refered to as the work horse of the cell, and after it completes its work, the inorganic phosphate doesnt just disappear, it actually recombines with the ADP, to reform ATP(by cellular respiration), making it an extremely effecient horse :D

Edit: i found some pics :p (i know its sad, but i love this stuff lol)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  10. slipthejab

BoxBabaX is giving away my not-so-secret secret. :D

But Ross isn't the only source for studies of kickboxers and aerobic/anaerobic capacity. Other studies have the percentages slightly shifted but basically with the same gist.

Kickboxers (and by extension Muay Thai) have been included in several studies by various people over the years. Much of it has had to do with profiling the specific aerobic/anaerobic capacties of different sports.

At any rate.. it's really that hard to figure out once you understand the differences between anaerobic and aerobic and how they apply to the specific actions of sports.

Nordic, I'll see if I can come up with some of those studies if your interested. I've still got 'em but they're buried on my HD somewhere.

11. Athleng Nordic

If you have the ones with the kickboxers I'd love to read them.

Boxy, Thanks for that reply. I was suprised I understood the 65% I did, the rest I'll have to research. :D

12. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Glad i could help :D

13. sean

sean THOR!

Thanks for the replys;

I`ve got it right so far, I knew I didn`t need to focus on long distance roadwork (muscle type I fibers ;) ) and i`ve been training focusing my anaerobicwork for five minute rounds and doing HIIT, aswell as more aerobic cycling once a week.

14. slipthejab

One thing to check out (if you haven't already) is when training for rounds... hit half the round with anaerobic work... high intesity and the other half for aerobic work.

Example:

1) 1:30 sec of all out sprints
    2) bell rings
    3) 1:30 sec of jogging
    4) bell rings
    5) 1min. rest
    6) bell rings

.... and begin new round of the same for 6-7 rounds if your fight is a 5 round fight.

Note: I use this primarily for anaerobic training for Muay Thai so adjust the round time to what suits you.

15. Athleng Nordic

Nice round break-up for training.