Mixed martial arts fighters stop robbery of L.A. motel

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nekoashi, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I joined another martial arts forum years ago. I was all about how effective Ninjutsu is and how MMA is useless and there's no skill in it (I honestly said that). It takes a lot to change somebody.

I met a guy on this other forum, and he didn't believe the effectiveness of BJJ. He was challenged by a black belt BJJ to go and find his nearest BJJ school and challenge one of them to a NHB fight.

Well he came back with a different tune, he now trains BJJ :p

2. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

D'awww, I want to hear everybodies heartwarming stories about changing their minds now :D

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Well I was going to but I changed my mind...

Mitch :D

4. Oddsbodskins

Tempted to reply to this and then delete it, but then no one gets to see the joke...

5. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

When two people have an argument, it is very rare that you change people (I do not think I have ever seen it). Both parties try their best to convince the other they are right but it is an absolute waste of time. You could argue for weeks but it is absolutely pointless. You may see the other person go yes I agree with you, but usually they are just being the other man and / or are bored and want to end the argument.

"In all fairness, no, you wrote specifically about posting on forums and the people in this particular conversation"

Well did I convince anyone in this conversation? No. Did they convince me? No. Also, as another example, noticed how you never changed my mind about people changing their minds and vice versa. Things like this go unnoticed. Trust me, it is very very rare when two conflicting viewpoints collide on an internet forum for either to convince the other.

End of the day Mitch I know your type. Think they are far superior to others and know it all. Think they are free of the ego, yet what they do not know is the ego has come in through the back door and they are more identified with their minds than most. You most probably take your role as forum moderator very seriously and actually get a kick out of the 'virtual' power you have. You most probably think it is a serious, well respected role and when you die god will look on it favourably. But how deluded you are. When you are lying there on your death bed and you think back of this one life and realise you spent most of your days posting on an internet forum and that virtual role and virtual power did not mean a damn thing and was not very real. I feel for you man. While I am getting sex, you and your cronies are posting on internet forums dreaming about becoming the next bruce lee.

You (and your kiss-ass cronies) will probably come back with something clever. You are probably more clever than me, I do not dispute that. But cleverness does not always get you anywhere (no doubt you see forum moderator as an achievement however) - remember that.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I once said any top boxer would walk in to a UFC match and destroy an MMA fighter. My mate laughed at me and told me I was talking crap. He told me the boxer would just be taken down. Time passed. I watched a fair few MMA fights and I finally realised a boxer would get his ass whooped. The point is, it was not my mates argument that changed me, I had to watch MMA and educate myself about it before changing my mind. I had the UFC Vs Boxing argument on youtube and forums. People argued this and argued that, they never changed me, I still argued my point. They never changed me and I never changed them. It was not just me, there were quite a few on the boxers side and quite a few on the mma side. No one convinced either judging by the fact we were all still arguing at the end. So just because someone changes their minds, it does not mean your actual [forum] argument changed their minds. Their minds were probably changed with education and time. In other words, 'you' can't change people.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

As for your ideas of roger Huerta - that guy is the man.
    No one else wanted to confront this cocky linebacker for his actions (because not only was he the pride of a team he was also huge!) and the football player tried to run away, huerta tried to chase him down so the police could deal with it and the guy tried to fight him then run again!
    safe to say that no cop would say that huerta's actions were unjustified.
    as you brought up, the real question is why no one else tried to stop the linebacker.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Going straight for the "ban me please" option?

9. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

No, but the 'you' that is the forum mod/poster/teacher or whatever can provide the necessary materials and lessons that constitute the education that, by your own admission, changes minds.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You are sooooo far from the mark chap :D Taking myself seriously, getting a kick out of virtual power etc etc is a long way from where I'm at. What matters to me is my wife and kids; MAP is fun and I've met and corresponded with a lot of good people as a result. I hope you do the same :)

I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to a friendly post in the way you did?

Mitch

11. Oddsbodskins

To be honest you'd have been closer to the mark if you aimed that vitriolic post at me Hughesa, I'm a pretty relentless egotist hiding it carefully behind a thin veil of altruism and even-handedness, believing wholeheartedly that I'm better then everyone else. However, I'm perfectly happy with it :D

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Well that was a bit of a risky gamble. If it had paid off then you'd have looked pretty cool and insightful as you accurately predicted and decimated someone's personality from just a few day's encounter over the internet. As it happens, however, you're so wide of the mark with your assessment of Mitch that all you've done is made yourself look a bit silly to those of us who have known him for longer.

13. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

lol I just realised something when I reread some of these posts (including the one from Mitch). I forgot my own argument. I said that 'you/I' cannot change people, not that people cannot change. Of course people can change. I have changed my views (e.g. the boxing vs mma). But it was not the person who changed my views. For example, the other person will argue their case to the death but I am already fixed on my opinion, and same goes for them. You only have to look at internet forums or real life arguments to see that. Both sides mistake their views as fact and even if they realise they are talking crap, they usually keep arguing.

14. Mangosteen

i believe this is called being closed minded and not wanting to see the value in another persons point.
    its pride, ignorance and close mindedness.

15. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

My own admission was that I changed my mind. I had the ufc boxing argument every time I seen my mates. None of us changed each others minds. I had it on a forum or two. None of us changed our minds. I had it on YouTube. None of us changed our minds. Me or my friend did not turn around to each other and say, damn it, I just realised, you are right. My friend did not provide me with any materials and lessons, I just thought it be wise to educate myself on the sport. It took time, but I realised what he was saying was probably right. So it was not him that changed me. Surely you have had enough attempts yourself at realising that 'you' cannot change people. I do not want to say it is impossible or never happens as I cannot be sure of that. But I would say in 95% of cases, you cannot change people. The truth is, the only people you can probably change are those free of identification with their minds (ego) and so the 95% prediction is probably fairly accurate. Even if someone realises suddenly in an argument that they are wrong, it is rare (I don't think I have ever seen it) for someone to turn around and go you know what you are right, I am wrong. Even when you realise you are wrong or you forget what it is you are arguing about, you still argue, as admitting you are wrong is like death. Even when people say 'you know what you are right, lets just leave it at that' or ' I will be the bigger man here and end this' they still have not accepted they were wrong, it is just disguised.

16. Oddsbodskins

Okay, you're not prepared to change your mind, and you haven't convinced us. This doesn't mean we aren't prepared to change our minds if convinced.

17. Mangosteen

Your know you're a bad friend when:
    You can't even admit sincerely to your friend that you were wrong!

Why learn BJJ is great for the psyche: you learn to tap, signifying that you back down.

18. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I think you tap in BJJ because you do not want to get your arm broken.

19. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I am not even sure if I am still arguing here because I genuinely believe in my argument or if I am afraid to back down and admit I was wrong, you are right. Maybe a bit of both. Part of me still believes in what I am saying and other part does not want to back down and look stupid.

20. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I have usually found that those who claim to be the most open-minded are in fact the opposite, and do not even realise it themselves.