Mixed martial arts fighters stop robbery of L.A. motel

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nekoashi, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm not on my high horse chap, just asking you to stick to the terms of service of MAP that you agreed to when you joined. Eff off is also not appreciated. PLease don't use bad language in posts on MAP again.

Mitch

2. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

@mushroom You're joking me? I could have sworn they had a batman costume on. Will have to clean my glasses.

On a more serious note, there are too many people who have been a to a few martial arts classes and tend to go looking for 'situations' and sort of see themselves as some sort of defenders of the weak, public protectors, police. That sort of thing should be left entirely to the police. I have seen an have a go hero guy chase a guy who stole from the tesco and he knocked the guy unconscious. I remember that ufc guy who knocked the big black guy out who hit the woman. That is perfect example of the 'policing the streets' I was talking about before. He should not have got involved in that.

What people forget to realise also is there is always a context for everything but they usually do not see that. I remember my mate was attacked at by some girl and her heel. She whacked him over the head a couple times leaving him covered in blood. One of my other mates flying kicked her and when she got up the mate covered in blood got a few kicks and / or punches in too. Now imagine if some mma, have-a-go-heros had been around and only seen the latter part. We could have all been seriously hurt. But as it happened, there were bouncers and even police about who seen what she did and just stood there when she got hurt back.

The only time you should really use your martial arts skills is in self defence (as a last resort). Of course there are some exceptions. If you see guy getting outnumbered, kicked on the floor, begging to be set free, then you could not begrudge a martial artist stepping in and helping the guy out.

3. Osu,

That was a very polite request to stop swearing from Mitch. :)

Osu!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  4. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Fine, I won't use this language again. However, who has ever read a terms of service before? Anyone? You get used to those things being so long and cumbersome that even if one was short you probably wouldn't even notice it. And no offence but never been on or heard of a forum that is strict against the use of 'bad language' in the context of the way I used it. I can maybe understand bad mouthing other members but this has to surely take the biscuit. Fair enough if it was a kids forum, but my guess is the majority of people on here must be over 15.

5. You obviously frequent the wrong places... :)

OSu!

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ooh, a morality lesson, how nice. Pity the facts are wrong.

Pre-emptive strikes are legal in certain circumstances, but lets not let facts get in the way of a good arguement.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Luckily you have people to politely bring it to your attention :)

Mitch

8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

If there're exceptions, then who decides where that line is? While you seem to have decided it's you, I'm fairly sure no-one gave you that right any more then they gave martial artists the right to 'police the streets', as you seem to be convinced they do. A person who steps in is accountable for there actions, and whether they were right to do so will be decided by the courts, who WERE appointed to do that. A person can only be expected to do what they think is right at the time and be judged for it afterwards. Regards your mates, from your description of 'getting a few kicks in' it sounds like it went past what was necessary to defend your mate and into retribution, so, actually yeah somebody should have stopped them after the flying kick.

9. Simon

You agreed to the TOS, so surely you read them before signing up.

Keep posting and arguing and you will find it is not only the MOD Team who pick you up on the TOS. Many of our members do a lot of the policing for us and are more than aware of the TOS.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Agreed, there are some with fantasical ideas of what they believe can do better.

That was Roger Hueta, once again, a certain time and certain place. He was not 'Policing the streets', he was just there while on a night out. In situations like these, your own moral compass kicks in. We can discuss how "Oh if I saw A doing B to a C...I would etc etc" but when it comes down to it, it never happens like it does in your own head.

Kinda like what you say.......

Then are you Policing the streets then? Or you just happen to be there?

11. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

You reworded what I said which is not really fair when quoting someone as slight word changes can make all the difference to what was said. I have been a member of a variety of forums over the years, ranging from football, boxing, student, web, business, all kinds. I am a big advocate of free speech and people should be able to say/write as they feel is natural to them. Obviously, personal insults may be taking it too far, but seriously, if you can't take an insult over a message board then how can they have survived in the real world. And bad language over a message board is fine as far as I am concerned. It is just written on a computer screen after all and it is not like you can hear them swearing. We live in a world that is far to formal, rigid, far too many health and safety laws and regulations, and just generally far too many laws and regulations, and to be told off for saying the S word on a martial arts forum just reinforces in me how the world has gone mad. Me, personally, I am a very tolerant person and understand people are different and you should try not to judge a person as you have no idea of their past so I am one who is able to let things go like.

12. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

No, I just forgot to put 'in my opinion' as that is all it was an opinion. Learning a martial art should not be a licence to go and beat people up unneccesarily. Martial artists (the good ones) have hands and feet that could arguable be classed as lethal weapons. You talk of pre-emptive strikes, but too many martial artists use these and too many people end up with permanent injuries.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It doesn't matter what you think should be acceptable on a forum or not. MAP has it's rules and by signing up you agreed to abide by them. You are welcome not to post here if you disagree with our policies. However, if you choose to post here you must stick to the rules or face Mod action.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Dun dun Duuuuun

15. Simon

You need to back that up with something more than that.

Too many martial artists use pre-emptive strikes. Do you have facts and figures to back this up, and are you still talking about defending oneself?

As for the permanent injuries I need facts and figures. Anything else is just guesswork.

16. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

It was just a very general opinion mate. I did not get too specific about when they should be able to use it. My point was more of when they should not be using it. Regards my mates, the first one flying kicked her off my mate as she was banging her heel on his head. My mate was about to walk away until he noticed all the blood. He seen red (literally) and turned back and went for her (who wouldn't? he lost it, she could have caused serious harm). If some self-righteous martial artist had seen that but not the earlier stuff he probably would have waded in. We may have then tried to help my mate and then we all could have ended up in the hospital (missing teeth, broken jaws, whatever). That is perfect hypothetical example of how things can go badly wrong when a martial artist thinks he can police the streets.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  17. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

No I did not read them. Who has ever read a TOS? That is just ridiculous. I once asked a group of friends have they ever read a TOS and not one had done. You telling me you read a TOS before? Maybe if they were not 50,000 characters long or I knew I would live until I was 100,000 years old then I would do.

Oh and do not worry mate, I will not be a frequent member of the forum. I actually only came on here with a question or two and made the mistake of taking part in this discussion and now I am involved in this debate/argument. I have been on enough forums with strict mods who really get a kick out of their virtual power and really take this fictional role to heart to know I do not wish to stay around for too long.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  18. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Whether you're saying when to use it or when not to, you're still taking it upon yourself to decide what's appropriate. Aye, well, seeing red is generally not a defense against assault charges. And if a martial artist saw, waded in and injured your mates? Guess what! They'd be in the wrong too. Minimum necessary force is the phrase where I'm from, and it varies depending on the circumstances, but seeing red means you weren't fit to judge what was the minimum necessary force, and that almost certainly means you can't defend your actions. Defending your actions as self defense to the courts relies on what you believed to be the case at the time, and whether your actions are considered to be an appropriate response to those beliefs (and no, believing that revenge is right doesn't count).

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Ignorance of the law and not reading the ToS is not an excuse, particularly when a mod has pointed out the rule to you. Another part of the ToS is that if you have a problem with mod action you don't clog up threads whinging about it, you take it to pm.

20. Simon

No problem, you're trying to be clever, that's fine. If it comes back and bites you though you have been warned.