Mixed martial artist defeats of Pro Wrestler, Kurt Angle.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

You probably mean "Sacred Sword". I like Oddessey in Blue Springs.

2. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

hay it's not actuely fake they do all real stuff but softly

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I heard about this. It's just classic. I'm pretty sure Angle is swearing at him at the end saying "are you frigging stupid?" or something to that effect a couple of times. He looks serious enough anyway. Hilarious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It sure was excellent :D You could cut the tension between the both of them with a knife. I really wish you could hear what they were saying, but the WWE muffled it out :(

I'm actually supprised there has been no interviews with Puder about what happened.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Aren't the Tough Enough contestants under a WWE contract ;) (And not a wrestling contract whcih is the prize).

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm sure they are :) If he doesn't win the final, lets hope he talks to the press about it :D I'd be very interested in hearing his personal account of what happened.

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Courtesy of Ron Merrill and InsideFighting.com:

"Fifteen months ago Daniel Puder readied himself for the fight of his life as he prepared for what would be a night of many firsts – a first professional appearance against newcomer Jay McCown in Brian Johnston’s inaugural X-1 event, and an important first professional victory that would serve as the catalyst for things to come. Fast-forward to the present, and the WWE Tough Enough finalist is on the brink with a 50/50 shot at a $1 million contract and the chance at making his mark on over half a century of storied professional wrestling history.

Being so close could cause many to lose focus. Coming so far might lead to a false sense of security about the final hurdles ahead. But not for Puder.

“I’m just taking it day-by-day and week-by-week,” Puder remarked of his attitude during this final week. “I’m just thinking, ‘Okay, I’ve got three days of training. I’m gonna get through those three days.’ And we’ve got one travel day, and a TV day. I kind of do it that way usually. But usually in the morning I just get up, get a little breakfast in me, go for a run and stuff like that and get it going.”

Unlike the past three Tough Enough seasons, this installment has taken the attention off the day-to-day lives of the contestants, favoring weekly challenges at live Smackdown tapings over the testosterone-driven Real World spin-off of old. And while the format allows for the preservation of each wrestler’s ring persona by way of separating the whiny confessional banter from the rage-filled promo cuts, it does nothing for selling the audience on the human side of what it takes to succeed at this level. However, fans of the old format can rest assured that the blood and sweat continues to flow behind the scenes as freely as ever.

“I get up about 8 o’clock on the days that we train with Al [Snow]. We get to The Track, which is their gym, and we do about two laps, (which is about a mile)," he said. "Then we do push-ups, sit-ups and all that other stuff. Then we start going through the pro wrestling side of it. We usually do about 6 hours straight of working out. The training is totally different on one aspect. Then on the other side 6 hours long is harsh. I’m not used to that, so I had to get used to that pretty quick.”

In the face of each early rise, long day and late night, Puder remains focused and keeps his mind on the task at hand.

“I’m just thinking, ‘Hey, let’s go do another day. Let’s train hard and give it my all.’ That’s what I’m here for every day," Puder explained.

But even the most focused of athletes maintains a human side, a childlike sense of imagination that perhaps fueled the initial desire to compete in his or her sport. Maybe it sprung one Saturday afternoon from the vicarious enjoyment of watching Steve Sax launch one over the wall of Dodger Stadium on the grainy 13-Channel Zenith? Or maybe larger than life legends of the ring like Gerry Cooney and Larry Holmes left an indelible impression in a 10-year old's mind back in 1982?

The lifetime worshipper of pro wrestling would face his own misconceptions and stereotypes when he finally stepped into his childhood dream.

“It was weird. It was different,” Puder said of his first live appearance. “It was kind of like the show [X-1] that I did in Japan...it’s along the same lines but just bigger. I figured I was going out there [in both MMA and pro wrestling] to do the same job and that’s to win. So whatever came in front of me [winning] is what I’ve got to do. It’s better than what I thought it was going to be. The superstars are a lot … I didn’t really even think about it as far as how they would act, but I really like who they are as people. And just the training and everything else, how it’s all set up, I like that. We did clotheslines a few days ago and after we did the clotheslines I jumped up and said, ‘Give me another one.’ It’s so… I don’t even know. I absolutely love it. It’s fun.”

While Puder was realizing a lifelong dream, fans of Mixed Martial Arts met his Tough Enough success with mixed resolve. Some would embrace the young fighter in his quest to better himself through whatever means he deemed necessary. Others would chastise him for what many regarded as an early exit from a promising MMA career. When confronted with criticism, it became evident that Puder’s mind was never far from his beloved sport, or its fans.

“MMA is a very small market compared to pro wrestling," he said. "What MMA needs to do to become a market on the level of boxing or the WWE is grow. And they need big names. My goal…I don’t know what Vince [McMahon] wants from me. I’m going to have to sit down if I win this and talk to him, but it would be nice to have some ultimate fights because that would create a bigger name for the UFC and more of the public from the WWE would watch the UFC and vice-versa. So both would grow. It's kind of like Ken Shamrock did, but he didn’t do both at the same time. But I think that ultimate fighting would have to look at the bigger picture and ask what I can do for the MMA market. I think they need bigger names. Tito Ortiz is a big name. Why? Because people know who he is. Ken (Shamrock) is big because of the WWE. He’s not big because of ultimate fighting.”

Whether or not a marriage of Mixed Martial Arts and WWE can coexist on a U.S. pay-per-view will remain to be seen. However, one thing is for certain. The struggling WWE organization began a recent foray into the realm of both boxing and shoot fighting with a past shoot match between Puder and heavyweight star, Kurt Angle, as well as a boxing match taking place on this Sunday’s WWE pay-per-view card. Puder will face fellow Tough Enough finalist Mike ‘The Miz’ Mizanin in three one-minute rounds of boxing.

Puder was not shy about his feelings for the former Real World and Battle of the Sexes turned Tough Enough competitor.

"‘The Miz? He is so annoying," Puder said. "He walks around and every girl he sees, or every girl who comes up to us or whatever else, he goes, ‘What do you like better, my charming personality or my boyish good looks?’ And the other line that he has is ‘Every girl wants me and every guy wants to be me.’ And because of those lines I’m going to knock him out. I’m sick of his lines. I don’t want to deal with it anymore. They are actually getting me a state-sanctioned boxing license and we just did physicals yesterday, and this is a complete shoot and I’m actually going to knock ‘The Miz’ out.”

With only a week to go and one final hurdle to overcome, Puder reflects upon the struggles of the past few months and says he owes a lot of his success to an outstanding work ethic and perseverance, as well as determination to leave the celebrating at the finish line.

“I don’t think they understood,” Puder said of his Tough Enough teammates. “I think they made top eight and most of the guys go, ‘Hell yeah. Let’s train hard. Let’s party hard. Let’s have fun.’ But the thing is, this is a business. This is not a party. From day one they partied, and I see it as a career. I see it as a business. If you party your ass off you’re not going to last long. The company is not going to want you because you’re not going to last long. And I’m willing to offer the company more overall with my marketing skills, my athletic abilities and my time.”
    Win or lose, the experience will not have been wasted. Daniel Puder looks to emerge a stronger individual with a keen sense of purpose

“Man, I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned to show up on time everywhere," he said. I’ve learned little things about who I am, what I’m about. Just little things about how I’m pushing myself harder, what I want in life and how to get it. I’ve always pushed myself hard, but this is a little bit harder than what I’ve pushed myself before.”

Fifteen months ago I interviewed Daniel Puder just days before his professional debut. Fifteen months later, he faces yet another landmark as he looks to become the first mixed martial artist to successfully advance through the Tough Enough ranks and into the WWE and MMA history books. At the time of that first interview I concluded with the question, “What message do you have for your fans?” To which he replied, “What fans?”

The answer I received this time would bear testament to over a year of dedication and hard work.

“I’d like to just thank all the MMA fans for supporting what I’m doing, talking about me on the underground, every website about me and Kurt Angle," Puder said in closing. "I just want to thank everybody for helping me. I appreciate all my fans.

I realized that I do have a few of them.”

Everybody please vote for Puder again this week.

VOTE!

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

He's got my vote! Thanks for the info as well 1ONE :D

I've been waiting to read interviews with him since it happened :)

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Puder and Miz boxing?! Puder by murder! If you clear your cookies, you can multi-vote :)

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Puder wins by DECISION. By all accounts, no technique shown by either competitor.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Non the less, still glad to see he won it :)

12. Trent Tiemeyer

SMACKDOWN SPOILER.

Daniel Puder is the 1 Million Dollar Tough Enough Champion.

It was also announced that Puder will be the first entrant into this year's Royal Rumble.

Congrats to Puder, I hope he lives the dream.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Awww excellent :D Congrats to Puder!!! :D

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I'm pretty excited about this... I like WWE but get tired of the higher emphasis on the soap opera and less on wrestling. I juts hope they don't hink they need to "package" Puder and make him some sort of character (like the guy who sells health products) and I hope they don't give him a fake persona and most of all, I hope they let him use his martial arts training instead of forcing him to quickly learn a bunch of wrestling moves.

I think playing him as himself would be a breath of fresh air for the WWE (of course they can still fix the matches!)

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

A better person couldn't have won if you ask me :) He trains hard, and deserves the victory.

16. I agree.

Simon? :D What a plonker :D He's signed a wrestling contract now, BTW. :bang:

He'll have some soap style rivalry with someone in a few weeks. Someone wil knock him out of the royal rumble of he will knock somebody out, and they will have a rivalry involving a ridiculous storyline :D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2004
  17. Trent Tiemeyer

Simon Dean is actually a great wrestler. He was Nova in ECW. The name "Simon Dean" is actually a rib on Dean Malenko, whose real name is Dean Simon.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Apparently all the Tough Enough contestants have signed a developmental deal and are currently in the WWE training ground, OVW. "?Ohio? Valley Wrestling"

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It seems Daniel Puder has become a world wide hero since his wrestle with Kurt Angle :)