Mixed martial artist defeats of Pro Wrestler, Kurt Angle.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

This really made me smile when reading it :)

Last night on WWE Smackdowns 'Tough Enough' tournament, Kirt Angle was trapped in a keylock by a mixed martial artisted name Daniel Puder.

The overall winner of the Tough Enough compitition received $1 million and a WWE contract.

Below is an extract from a respected Pro Wrestler insider, named Dave Meltzer.

" It was real. If you don't follow fighting, Puder had Angle locked in the Kimura, or keylock as Tazz called it, although Tazz didn't let on the move was fully executed. Not only was Angle not getting out of the move, but most MMA fighters would have tapped already. Angle couldn't tap for obvious reasons. The ref counted a three even though Puder's shoulders weren't fully down, trying to end the thing, because the reality was Angle would have been in surgery had it gone a few seconds longer or had Puder not given up the hold.

My impression is, since this was a taped show, that nobody in enough power in the company actually understood what happened and let it air, and figured most would see it as a pinfall in 40 seconds. And they were 98% correct, between the commentary and the pinfall, that is how most saw it. It was only when it was all over MMA boards last night that "unknown shootfighter really beats Kurt Angle" and was the hottest topic all night, that they took the footage of it off their web site, and replaced it with copy that said, "Angle mauled Nawrocki, before taking volunteers, next pinning Daniel Puder in a slightly tougher, but still relatively easy match.

This is when you know a company is doomed. When God hands them an angle that would get people talking like nothing they've been able to create on their own, given them the potential for legit water cooler talk had they played it right, and they are so blind they go in the opposite direction. Tazz called it like, "well, so much for the UFC." Yeah, and so much for The Invasion angle as well.
    "

[​IMG]

When watching the full video of the thing. Kirt Angle stands up, walks over to Puder who's hand is out offering a friendly good game hand shake. And Angle looks angry. They stand there in a staredown where Angle is saying something to Puder.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

That's very impressive, especially considering Angle is actually an Olympic gold medallist in greco-roman wrestling

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Its just a shame that Puder appeared to have lost because his shoulders were down on the mat lol.

4. whaledawg2

whaledawg2 Runaway love machine

Yeah, you know that's all fake, right?

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I knew someone was going to say this.

If you read the extract, you'll see that it was actually a real, unplanned matches, grappling event where the winner received $1 million dollars, and a WWE contract...

6. whaledawg2

So, everything else the WWE does is fake but this is real? In spite of the fact that the author admits any MMA would have had to tap by then?

I have this sweet bridge....:D

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

This was definitely real. I was just as impressed with Puder's stopping Angle's takedown attempts as with his kimura.

Angle was not getting out of that.

link to vid

These kids aren't trained enough to do a worked match yet, much less one that makes people argue whether or not it is worked.

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yes, this particular ' Tough Enough ' event was apparently, a real grappling match. Like professional wrestling, you have to pin your opponent.

In getting Kurt Angle in the Kimura, Puder put both his shoulders on the mat, so he technically lost. And due to the fact that tapping doesn't release the hold in pro wreslting, and than Puder didn't put the submission on all the way because it would result in destorying Angles shoulder; Angle did not tap.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  9. Trent Tiemeyer

Angle COULD NOT tap, his reputation would be shattered. The ref counted Puder down to save Angle. If you watch the vid, you can see that one of Puder's shoulders are up.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Now that i did not know :)

As for the video, it looks like your going to have to copy and paste the link into the address bar as it appears that angelfire do not allow direct access from forums!

11. whaledawg2

If you watch any WWE match, you'll see their shoulders are usualy up.

How can you honestly think this one was real? Why would the WWE even risk hurting Angle in a real match? It just doesn't make any sense.

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm still in awe that this guy who has only had ONE MMA fight (source, Sherdog fight finder) was able to hang so well with Angle and get the upper hand like that. Like I said, he's a gold medal wrestler
    Like 1OneFighting said, this guy's just not had enough training to fake that. Hell, most guys on the WWE roster can't act well enough to pull something like that off

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's dam impressive thats what it is :D

I love the staredown at the end of it all... but i really want to know what he was saying to Puder.

14. whaledawg2

You mean the staged confrontation that all wrestling matches have?

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'll look into it...

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol this event was not fixed like the other WWE smachdown events. Download the video, read the whole thread and the extract :p

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've had a breif look, but couldn't find anything. From what you can hear, it sounds like Angle is telling Puder this is a different game to MMA. And at the end, you hear him say to Puder "Now get outta my face..."

18. whaledawg2

I watched the video, it looks fake to me. It looks more realistic then normal matches yes, but mainly bc they look like real moves. If you watch you can see pauses where Angle is over the MMA guy and gives him time to roll over before he gets on top.

I mean, who wrestles multiple matches in a row? There's no way he'd have anything left in him by the end bc Angle hasn't been a real wrestler for yrs, he's not in that kind of shape.

19. Trent Tiemeyer

Angle is in phenomenal shape. Look at him. It was Puder who should have been broken down and exhausted, because the contestants were doing sprints all day, were forced to drink a lot of milk, and then do squat-thrusts in cadence.

I know the difference between a scripted and unscripted match. I have done both. I was a pro wrestler for three years. You will notice Puder is working Angle's RIGHT arm. In any pro wrestling match, all locks are placed on th left arm, in case something goes wrong as most guys are right handed.

Maybe Angle could kill Puder nine out of ten times, but this must have been that tenth time. Angle got caught.

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Sounds like we could write a book about you 1ONE :D

You've done pro wrestling, Pro fighting & your a bouncer... what havent you done lol? :)