Mixed martial art gloves

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Anybody tried these for stick sparring? How are they? What brand(s) did you use? Any you recommend?

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I use my MMA gloves for stick sparring - they work. I prefer hockey gloves because they protect the wrists more.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ouano mma gloves. i was sporting an injured knuckle then and needed to protect it. they were no help really. stick to the roller hockey gloves. just cut away at the palm area.

4. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

If we're playing with light padded sticks & I want to work my hand movment, I might use my harbingers. Considering the lack of protection to the fingertips, thumb & wrist I wouldn't recomend them for anything heavier, unless you've been training a while & really want to push yourself.

Shootdog's on the money, stick with the roller hockey (or if you can get them I prefer Lacrosse) gloves

5. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

go to a site like cheapboxing.com and check out their kempo gloves, they are full finger and padded better than.... well.... no padding at all :confused: . And they dont really restrict wrist/ hand movement

6. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

i use both mma gloves andbad gloves.mma gloves good to hold stick,but bag gloves offer more protection

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Go with street hockey gloves or gloves that are specifically made for stick fighting, much better and less cumbersome than the Kenpo Glove. There too much like strapping pillows to your hands.

Regards

Pat

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Or Lacrosse gloves. I've found they offer the right mix of protection and articulation. With the palms cut out of course.

- Matt

9. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Is you crazy? You'd lose all your fingers. Sometimes it hurts even when you wear those lacrosse gloves. Why would you want to use less padding?

10. Scotty Dog

To make you Move your hand ???

too much padding = bad habits

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Naturally????

But getting rattan on the fingers repeatedly is going to make you drop the stick and not be able to pick it up for a while.

12. Pat OMalley

And too little padding and no picky upy sticky for many weeks and your work could be up the spout for that time too.

It's a fine balance betwen reality in FMA and reality in day to day living.

13. shootodog

then there is old school no gloves, live stick, real time, real pain.

i like doing old school from time to time, it keeps it real for me. most of the time i want to coat my hands in titanium.

14. Scotty Dog

Never said we do it all the time, most of the time we use padded sticks & light gloves (I preffer LaCrosse for raw rattan & Light street hockey for padded sticks). It is good to push yourself once in a while, but again as I mentioned earlier, I tryed the MMA gloves & wasn't to impressed

15. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

But don't you find it hard to grip ur stick with the street hockey gloves, and a little too restricting on ur wrist movement

16. Pat OMalley

The wrist part of the gloves are quite wide so they tend not to restict your movement, and as for gripping, cut out the palms if you have to, but after years of training with an iron bar and sparring in WEKAF tournaments, fighting in limited armour and using padded sticks as well I have found I have quite a good grip.

Even padded sticks can cuase problems with grip. Get yea old tyre stack and start bashing it to death with some heavy sticks, this will improve your grip no end.

Regards

Pat

17. shootodog

that's the arguement of old school dudes! that's why they don't wear gloves or head gear for that matter.

there are trade offs involved. more freedom of movement = less padding. more padding = less freedom of movement.

18. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

well actually, i had a friend, i can still try to get a hold of him, who used to make custom gloves. He was really good at what he did, perhaps you can create your own gloves, and send the blue prints over. I can't guarantee anything though.

19. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Does anyone have any links to gloves designed specifically for stick sparring, preferbly in the UK, I currently use Blitzsport MMA gloves but if there is a specific glove out there I want to know !

20. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member