Mirrors in the Practice Area

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Paratus, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

This one comes from a conversation I had with someone else at my dojang.

Would it be a better or worse to have mirrors around the training area. Would it be for the best because it would allow the student to see imperfections themselves and correct, or would it become a distraction during practice.

I believe it would become a distraction, but as my friend pointed out you would probably get used to it. Personally I'd be more worried about falling into them ;) :D

What're the thoughts of the MAPers out there?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  2. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Or flying into them :cool:

3. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I think it's better because you'll be able to see exactly what you're doing.

4. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

I found them very useful in my old dojo. I think our sensei did fall onto one once, but it didn't do much damage :p I would suggest putting them on there. Maybe framing the mirrors with black frames to let peole know they're there.

5. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I don't think they would be a distraction because IMO you're supposed to be concentrating on yourself anyway. If there are mirrors you can check that your technique/stance looks OK. However, I don't think it makes a huge difference one way or another.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

We have them and everyone practises facing towards them, it's very easy to see mistakes in your technique when you're facing a mirror. I think they're boss.

7. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

i hate them, but just cause they make me feel more uncomfortable than i do already in my weapons class (i'm a serious beginner so i look crappy!) but they're handy cause the better people get to see what i'm doing wrong behind them and help me out :D

8. Martial Mark

Martial Mark Valued Member

I personally think its a good idea, so long as you work with them, if you have mirrors at sides of the dogo/dojang, but do all drills etc facing forward so the mirrors dont put them off what there doing, and for forms practice etc they can face them to perfect moves.

9. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Definitely a good thing - helps with refining technique.

10. Kosh

Kosh New Member

yeah there is often a difference between what you are doing and what you think you are doing...the mirrors help you learn the difference.

[edit]

you can also pretend you are in a martial arts film.

11. Tika

Tika New Member

There has been one wall of mirrors in every dojo that Ive trained in. I always hated having to see myself, but it does help with technique. One of the places I tried out htis year did not actually face the mirror during warmups, and I found it very difficult to correct my form when I couldnt look around at myself and others in the mirror.

12. nitroice0069

nitroice0069 New Member

Mirrors are good and bad. They are great for someone that understands the technique and is trying to make it better, but I have also found that the little kids love them selves. Lets say we are doing side kicks to a bag. Often times the 9 year olds and down will watch them selves instead of looking at what they are hitting. Therefore they may miss the bag or just glance off of it and fall over because they were expecting all the power to be taken away, not put straight back through there body. This will also teach them a bad habit of not looking at there target. So if they are ever in a real fight they may look away and totally miss. Which would lead to them getting pounded.

JamEs

13. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I love them. I've seen the difference in students, too, in dojos/dojangs that have them and those that don't (and not just because of differences in the quality of the instructors). Students in mirrored rooms pick up on the subtle movements the instructors make, much more quickly.

In short:

Mirrors: I love 'em
    I recommend 'em
    I use 'em.

14. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

We don't have them in our training hall, but I sometimes use the studio of a local gym for some solo-training. For forms, and for using my reflection as a target for punches and kicks, I think they are great for spotting errors of stance or movement that you would need an instructor to point out for you.

Down side... I've had the odd cane and nunchaku go flying through the air in the past (Whoops!!) :eek:

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm surprised by how many people said things like "they would be... " as if they hadn't experienced it before.

Out of curiosity, have many people trained in places without mirrors? The vast majority of places I've trained had them. The BJJ school doesn't. And some of the JKD places didn't (but they were usually conducted in parks, garages, and corners of the gymnasium. But for the most part, they were standard issue.

Not to say that they're essential. Obviously they're not. I guess I'm just surprised.

Stuart

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

our karate club doesnt use mirrors, the main reason being that we use a school sports hall or gymnasium. i reckon having mirrors in front of you would be beneficial when doing things like kata, letting you check your techniques and stances as you go, or when learning a new kata, and sanbon-gumite, again to check stance and technique, but also to see what your opponent would see.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I think that's probably common for areas with dual purpose. But I can only think of one dedicated martial arts area that hasn't had mirrors. The BJJ school. And really, you can't watch yourself in a mirror when you're wrestling. Besides, most of your feedback is tactile in that case anyway.

I was reading recently that students tend to learn by modeling their instructor. (Obviously, I already knew this, but bear with me.) By imitating their instructor's movements, the student learns what it feels like to do the move (presumably) properly. So they can internalize that feeling by way of the observed movement. I think mirrors are helpful in determining whether you are correctly modeling your teacher.

Obviously, though, you don't model the teacher forever. Beginning students model the teacher, try to replicate it, get a physical feel for how the technique is supposed to work, and then make tweaks to the movement based on that feeling.

Stuart

18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I train at two different Dojos.

One Dojo is purpose build and has full length mirrors on 3 out of 4 walls. Brilliant for checking things like stances and techniques.

The other is just a Hall that the club hires. It doesn't have any mirrors. When I train there, I miss them. :(

Cheers. :)

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh. Just realized that my last post was number 666. Post count of the Devil.

20. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I dunno if mirrors are good or bad for someone like me. It's good to correct stances, posture and movement when doing an empty hand form. But they distract me, and I have problems focusing. So while my techniques are precise, I don't look where I should be looking while I do them. Plus, mirrors make me admire myself, and for me ... there's a lot of admiring to do :D :D :rolleyes: