Mirrors in the dojo.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dori_kin_86, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

Anyone know the purpose of mirrors in a dojo? I've never seen the purpose of them, but others may have a different explanation.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Didn't we do this thread just last week? :rolleyes:

3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

In short they let YOU see what YOU are doing. Many people have no acclamation with their body, which means that even though they can understand what they are supposed to do, that it is not certain that they are doing it, I.e. a straight punch going out to the side over their shoulder instead of in front of their body. They're great for narcissists too.

4. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Also its useful for instructors to teach movements while performing along with their students a given tech, kata, mat drill, etcetera.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

to perfect your form. mirrors play a big part in shadow boxing because you can see exactly where you are going wrong in your techniques.

6. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Yep you can't shadow box correctly without a mirror..

7. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I usually just thought that my instructor was just a "pretty boy" for having those mirrors in our dojo. :D :rolleyes: ;)

8. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

A certain student I know uses it to fix his hair every time he does groundfighting :p

9. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I think arts(mostly striking) & artists that like to be as athetically pleasing as poss' would be the ones that would use a mirror. Those that only care about knocking ten kinds of mucky stuff out of the opponant wouldn't use them too much.

A mirror(pun intended) of this would be the body builder & the power lifter??? Any thoughts?

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

actually, i see more thai boxing and boxing gyms with mirrored walls than dojos and kwoons

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Shark!! Long time no post dude!! Hey everyone, do a search before making a new thread once in a while.

12. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Shadowboxing is propperly done with a mirror. It doesn't matter if you're Brad Pitt , Ed'o Neel , or John Candy. If you wanna do it properly , you'll do it with a mirror.

13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Too true - i never thought of that & totally agree!!

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

When we do multiple-attacker drills (in the center of a circle of attackers) they are useful for keeping an eye on the people behind me.

15. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Don't that kind of defeat the object??? Just asking...

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.