Mirrors in dojang

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Apr 4, 2007.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Why do Dojangs have mirrors? What is the purpose of them, how do they aid in training, and are they neccesary in a martial art school? Just curious.

2. Willow

Willow Valued Member

I'm assuming this is just a discussion question and you really do know the answers to most of your questions.

They enable people to look at their form and technique from a different perspective, allowing you to fine tune things when working by yourself and need another visual perspective. That and people just like to see how cool they look :rolleyes:

I don't know that they are necessary, but I do find them useful as does apparantly most every other dojo, dojang, boxing gym, etc. as I don't know that I've ever seen a place without them.

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

Also if the instructor is infront and he has his back to you, you can see what the rest of his body is doing too.

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

We don't have mirrors in the dojo because it'd be too dangerous with the amount of throwing we do. Its not about how you look, its how effective your technique.

We had railings on the side of our old dojo wall, I threw someone and their legs broke the rails :D

5. Boxerboy

Boxerboy Valued Member

yeah ive never seen a gym which doesnt have mirrors on the wall somewhere. useful for a bunch of things, particularly shadowboxing and making sure your hair looks good before you hit the town after training

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

When I want a different perpective I record myself, Ive found it a better tool than a mirror. I do see the piont with teaching, but I dont turn my back to students, if neccesary Ill do the hyung, or w/e opposite sided. The reason I asked is because they are one of the highest purchases when building/ preparing a practice floor, just wanted to see what every one thought why dojangs need mirrors, maybe need is not the correct word, but you get my drift.

7. Willow

Willow Valued Member

I agree video is a useful tool, but most students aren't going take the time do that. However many will glance in the mirror to see how linear, low, straight, smooth, balanced etc. they look while doing certain techniques and forms during class.

As for how you look vs. how effective you are, I generally don't check myself out in the mirror during techniques with a partner or sparring :D

8. Boxerboy

Boxerboy Valued Member

Mirror gives immediate feedback and i dont think most of your students will be toting their cameras around at training. They really do have a very beneficial effect when shadow boxing which is something every fighter should be doing. They do cost quite a bit though

9. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I like mirrors for checking my form, but a camera at the school would be awesome. Who woudn't want a video of themselves doing their early forms and techniques to look back on and chuckle? It's a long road that yeilds quantitative results. It would be great to have a record of the progress.

School owners could sell DVD's of students as training aids as well.

10. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Now that is a damn good idea, especially with adults. I find it interesting that its usally the adults who dont believe that they have improved over a year, it would be nice to have/ give them video evidence to show them how far they have come. With kids/juniors the parents usally can tell, and the kids usally already know.

11. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

I use them to see how damn sexy i am when getting radge in there,

My verdict............

VERY SEXY

12. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Well you're right. Mirrors are certainly not "necessary" , and they do have some danger in breaking, but most mirrors are installed with what is called "mastik glue" which looks like tar, behind them. this mastik will hold them in place even if they are broken. I am not sure that a lot of throwing poses much of a risk unless the dojo is very small and you have no choice but to throw your partner at the wall, which brings up another point. Most dojos are pretty small, and having a wall of mirrors is a relatively cheap way to make the place look much bigger.

Actually, effective technique usually begins with using proper form of movement. and the best way for a student to self check their own position during class is to see themselves in the mirror. I know you are talking about how you look cosmetically, and you are correct, but as a teaching tool mirrors are extremely useful. I am hoping that where I train we will soon have a part of the dojo where there are mirrors on the ceiling, so while learning ground fighting they can be used in the same way!!!!

13. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

For a newish person like me, there are a few other things:

Helps me see if my strikes are landing in the same place
    reminds me to go lower on my forms

I've trained in dajangs with them in the front, on the side, and none at all, and having the mirrors is good if only for the sake of how nice they look. certainly the place without the mirrors was fine, but I think I stay lower longer with them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  14. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

I couldn't train effectively with out them. :)

I need them as a reference point especialy with stances and form...not defensive tech, but definately kicks.

I agree use of a recording is also an effective tool..however, you can correct alignment or other mistakes immediately in a mirror rather than watching it after and having to remember to correct next time - to me that doesn't make any sense, and is much more difficult to correct - especialy if you have practiced for an hour and your body has formed the habit.

If you are using a recording device and mirror together that would be much more effective, otherwise skip the recording and stick with the mirror. :D

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I love the mirrors, helps me look at my form during patterns and helps to see reverse techniques when the instructor is demonstrating things.

16. ember

ember Valued Member

I've used mirrors to help find my target point when we're doing hand-strike drills.

And now that lifting someone for hip throws is not such a good idea, the mirror was a pretty good partner for working on that sport-style jahp ki set.

I bought a small set of those 1'x1' mirrors to put up at home, but haven't gotten to it yet.

17. kiseki

hehe...

my apt was chosen because of the price, not the size, and there is definitely not room for me to hang mirrors. However, if I am in a low stance, I can see myself in the mirrors between my cabinets and stove top.

In order to use those though, I have to move a bunch of furnature, and the kitchen table is home to all of my food at the moment, since I've been to lazy to put it away.

My dream house woud include a home dojang, and a "room of deep contemplation" partly for meditation and mostly for playing go.

18. ember

ember Valued Member

*shrug* One room of our house came with a full-size (wallpaper) sunset mural, so we made that the two-fer. Dojang, meditation room, place for prayer, etc.

19. Zentenk

Zentenk Valued Member

The mirrors are great for making sure the hot chick is doing her forms correctly.

20. kiseki

if it was just for meditation and training, I would do that same, but if Go is involved, I will wanted them decorated differently and the go room must be small and in the Japanese style, while the dojang must be larger.

Dream house by the way, I have no illusions about ever wasting that much money.