Mir Injured In Motorcycle Accident.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir was injured while driving his motorcycle today. Reportedly a 70 year old man ran a yield light, and sent Mir 70 feet through the air. Mir landed on the grass, but has suffered a broken Femur.

I hope he recovers quickly, as this is a terrible way to lose a belt. No word yet on the title picture for UFC 51.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Hope hes alright and heals 100%. 70 feet through the air is quite some distance. They both must have been going very fast.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

That's a real shame. Lucky he landed on the grass. I hope he's OK and can get back to training again soon. Hopefully his recovery won't take too long and he and Arlovski can fight for the title soon.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Word has it that Mir will be out for about a year. How do you guys think this leaves the title picture? Who should Arlovski face for the belt now?

5. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

That sux. hope for a speedy recovery.

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Probably Arlovski versus Sylvia for the belt, but it would be cool if they brought in a couple new heavyweights and held a tourney.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

He's out of some Pride tournament as well according to sherdog. Shame such talent can come so close to being ruined by carelessness.

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I was really looking forward to seeing Arlovski against Mir as well :( I hope hes better soon thats for sure. Any more details on his recovery?

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I haven't heard any updates, just that he's out of danger and that he'll be out for about a year with a broken femur and damaged pelvis. That's gonna put a dampener on his wedding plans, poor guy. I've heard about some boxers being banned from riding motorcycles by their governing bodies because they're too dangerous, maybe MMA organisations need to instigate such a rule
    As for the title, I think 1OneFighting hit the nail on the head - the UFC needs to get some new heavyweight talent and have a tournament since they've only got three healthy heavyweights right now - Arlovski, Shamrock (well, as healthy as Shamrock gets) and Mike Kyle. Sylvia probably won't be finished rehabbing that arm until the new year, and I'm sure there's going to have to be some discussion of rules with the amount of titanium he's got in his arm now - that's got to be an unfair advantage when it comes to forearm strikes. Frankly, they'd be hard pressed to say that either Kyle or Shamrock deserve a shot, though Shamrock would probably sell tickets

10. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

****...I was actually looking forward to the UFC's in the near future.