Minimum requirement for self-defense (physical side of it)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Feb 18, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Because of all the milling they do?

haha very good point actually!

Wasnt VZ doing KM last time he mentioned it outright?

3. David Harrison

He did it for a bit, but I think he said he isn't anymore.

I'm not talking about fighting skill, even though I'm sure he could teach us all a thing or two about kicking. But lecturing someone who's been to war about adrenaline dump is ridiculous.

Let's look at Simon's list and just think about whether an ex Para might have experienced these things once or twice:

You hit the bars in Colchester, pick a Para at random and call him absurd to his face. Maybe you'll have the technical advantage to beat him, but he won't be phased by aggression and he won't make it easy for you.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ultimately this is the person you are training to deal with.

Low IQ, maybe a bomb or two gone off a bit near to his head and isolated from normal society. :D

I'm teasing of course, but even occasional exposure to this type of aggression will make you review your SD training methodology.

I'm doing another SIM day in September under the guidance of John Titchen.

Other dates are available throughout the year, so if you're in the UK why not come along and train under pressure but with the latest protective equipment and expert tutelage.

5. David Harrison

And VZ has been exposed to it for real and come out the other side. He's ended bar brawls with head kicks for crying out loud! For EdiSco to be so dismissive of his advice without at least asking for more detail or background is plain rude and ignorant. Polite ignorance is fine, rude ignorance rubs me up the wrong way.

/rant over

6. Dead_pool

Its quite possible he wasnt aware of VZs background.

Like most ex forces, he doesnt go around using it to bolster his already solid discussion points.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Yeah , I've found the genuine guys don't tend to shout about it , the posers however .........

8. David Harrison

Sure, but you at least ask a question, no?

Anyway, doesn't matter.

PS. Chadderz' advice in this thread is also great. Just thought I should say that in lieu of the thanks button :)

9. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I didn't call him absurd. I called his post absurd! Esp. the following:

- which is basically implying that there are no deadly death touch moves in combat sports. I thought this street vs sport argument had been dealt with decades ago?!

- no explanation needed for why I think this is absurd!

- Going against another trained fighter in the ring/mma platform etc. provides more than sufficient pressures to learn to control adrenaline, emotions, FEAR! I can't think of a better method.

If he were to post something like this on Bullshido, they would go for the jugular!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Simon

It's different on the cobbles.

For a start there are rules and a referee in boxing.

Those rules don't apply outside.

There is fear of repercussion outside, fear of the law, their mates, your attention on your loved ones and not knowing who to protect and how and so the list goes on.

Combat sports give you an understanding, but as has been said many times here, self defence is different.

Many of us would rather take on a half decent fighter than a half decent rugby player.

11. Dead_pool

I think whilst exposure to sport does help control adrenaline, the social aspects around violence are still very much there.

Unless your a natural psychopath.

Which is where good sd specific training comes in, added into the sport basis.

12. EdiSco

That's interesting Simon. Is it because of the sheer size and strength they posses or is the amount of contact involved in the sport? If a BJJ blue belt (2 year experience) of same size/strength etc. went against an average Rugby Player, who would you put your money on?

13. Simon

It's the contact, the standing grappling, the attitude and the like that makes them similar to the thug you'll encounter on a Friday night outside the club.

A pit bull terrier is scary because it doesn't care.

It's all out aggression and no worry for it's own safety that makes it so hard to
    deal with.

The thug is the same. He's been fighting every Friday night throughout his teen and 20s.

He is used to being hit, which is why he has a brow like a car bumper.

That and his attitude make him look like the pit bull. You are scared before you even start.

The rugby player I'd suggest would be less phased by this.

14. EdiSco

I found a video on youtube of rugby players fighting (below). What I find interesting is that majority of them use heavy punching and rudimentary wrestling for fighting. But I see what you mean by the attitude etc. I would put my money on an MMA fighter of the same size/strength against a Rugby Player:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBXWY9YTd6o

15. Simon

At 14 seconds into that video there is already a defensive error.

You can argue each guy was wrong to push and re-enter, but to go back into head butting range is a schoolboy error and shows the difference between being able to fight and being able to defend yourself.

What you are faced with in this clip is now a square go, a one on one fight to see who is best.

In SD you don't want to give the other guy that chance.

Also note how in all of these encounters both parties stay in the channel and that's why they get tagged.

That's bravado getting in the way of self preservation.

16. David Harrison

A professional MMA fighter fights for a living. I would expect them to be very good at it.

Someone who trains MMA as a hobby is not the same thing at all.

17. David Harrison

Thanks for breaking his post down and explaining your points. Much more helpful and conducive to conversation than a dismissive word or two.

I think you're looking at this too black and white. VZ is no stranger to full contact competition.

Sport fighting gives great fundamentals, but that doesn't mean that you can't add extra nastiness on top of that. Look at the stuff Hannibal and Simon do for good examples of that.

The sport vs. street argument goes that pressure-tested fundamentals win every time over compliantly trained dirty tricks. The argument is not that dirty tricks can never be useful in real violence, it is just that "clean" pressure-tested fundamentals need to be there as a bedrock to build on.

Yes, there is a need for you to explain why you think that is absurd.

How many people have you punched without wearing gloves?

How many other methods have you tried? Have you been in a full contact competition fight? Explain the skill transference between competing in a full contact combat sport and being the victim of a deadly assault.

The Bullshido membership are not the final authority on surviving violent assault. I would wager that VZ has more experience of both competition and violence than the vast majority of posters on Bullshido.

18. Dead_pool

A large portion of "pro fighters" definely don't make a living from it.

That said a BJJ Black belt who trains MMA on the side is a very different prospect then a One fight pro "cage fighter" out of a unknown gym.

Most gyms are full of ex forces, forces and rugby guys.

Theres too many variables to draw any meaningful conclusions.

19. David Harrison

Yeah, I worded that badly. All I meant was that someone who does something full time is going to be good at it, and in a different league to hobbyists.

20. Dead_pool

Most pro fighters arnt full time, theres UFC signed fighters that arnt full time either.

The money aint good at all!

but now I'm being pedantic!