Mini Map Meet - The Gathering.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 12, 2014.

?

When do you want this event?

1. Interested before Christmas

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Interested after Christmas

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Gave the new padded sticks a little test run this morning and took a shot across the face without a head-guard.

Just a minor sting, nothing more, so because we'll be using head-guards (bring yours if you have one) we'll not have any problems.

Starting to get the buzz for the meet.

2. Simon

Day off work tomorrow, so will be making a couple more padded sticks, slightly shorter than a regular rattan one, which will make the close quarter sparring easier.

Times are 10.00 till 16.00 and spaces are still available.

Venue is High Wycombe Judo Centre, Barry Close, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP12 4UE.

I'll be there from 09.30 and will either be in the dance studio (downstairs), or in the bar (upstairs).

If anyone is still unsure about being hit by a stick, don't be.

This is a fun event, not a sparring contest.

Everyone will be looked after and we'll have loads of helmets, gloves, forearm protectors and more to take care of you.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

We've ended up with visitors I cant put off this weekend, so I'll have to make sure I can do the next one! Have fun folks :)

Mitch

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Saturday right?

I'll be running around in the rain in Chinatown from 10am right through to the evening. Sorry folks.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I have to work I'm afraid :(

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Sorry Simon cant play ....family visiting from Dublin

have a wild time

Smurf

7. Simon

Only a few confirmed, so hopefully we'll get a few more on the day.

We'll have fun and learn some stuff along the way.

I've a good plan for the day and will get some videos, which will appear Sunday and Monday.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  8. ned

ned Valued Member

I managed to wangle the day off from domestic and work duties and will be making the short drive down the M40 to meet some friendly MAP folk and swing a stick at them ! :)
    Hope any of those still undecided will make the effort to come along for what is
    a very reasonably priced full day's training with an experienced instructor.

9. Simon

What an excellent day.

Single stick, double stick, kickboxing with a stick, padded stick sparring, full armour sparring and a great deal of fun.

I have 45 videos to edit and sort through and I'll try and post something later as a taster before doing the final edit.

I must say that since none of the participants had done any stick work before they went about it with gusto.

Quote of the day from Mascarenhas, "bloody hell, it's like being attacked by a helicopter".

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Andy was a maniac with double stick!

A testament to Simon's awesomeness and a reason you should all try to make it to the next meet, I was waking home with my girlfriend (who also attended the meet and has done little MA) and picked up a twig and tried to hit her and she did the last disarm we learnt at the meet.

11. Simon

I'll edit the videos quite tightly, because we have 6 hours worth.

I'll get something about 5 or 6 minutes in length, but hopefully have something that captures the entire day.

For starters though here is Ned facing Macarenhas and Jackie.

2 onto 1 padded stick sparring.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSNO9iiwgzc"]Two onto One Sparring - YouTube[/ame]

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I have to say, i have some serious respect for FMA folk now. There is so much to learn and so much to loop together, so many angles.
    And its all essential.

Can you post up the vid of me and the helicopter going double sticks?
    Really shows how terrifying fighting with sticks is even when you cant feel the shots (cos of the armour)

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'd like to see more videos of Ned getting battered please! ;)

14. Simon

Ask and you will receive.

This was shot at the end of the day after several hours of training.

The armour can be a bit scary and having the helmet on and being hit in the face is a bit like having a dustbin on your head and someone hitting it with a stick. It rattles you somewhat.

With that said I was very impressed with all participants and how they took new skills and managed to actually apply them under pressure.

Here is Ned and myself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMxsBrcZV8"]Ned's First Fight - YouTube[/ame]

15. Bozza Bostik

Thank you Simon!

Excellent work Ned. I'm just signing you up for the next DBMA Gathering. :)

16. Simon

It was really interesting to see Ned trying to insert his own stuff from his Tai Chi, Wing Chun and CMA training.

I'll try and include that in the final video.

17. Bozza Bostik

I can imagine there's a lot of cross over, especially between WC.

Look forward to seeing that.

18. Simon

Mascarenhas taking one to the head.

Snapshot 1 (22-02-2015 14-11).jpg

Jackie (not her real name) had two levels of intensity. 10% and 100% and guess which level this strike was?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  19. Simon

Here's the first video.

I was hoping for one 6 minute video, but we shot 47 separate clips and this video covers the first 21.

Rather than remove all volume and add a music clip I've opted to leave all wording in, as you can hear the laughter, words of support and sections of instruction.

Please give some feedback, as I'm sure the participants would appreciate it.

Part II will come along in a day or so and will start at two onto one, then move into full armoured sparring with a rattan stick, rather than the padded ones.

What I like about this video is the use of the techniques drilled at the start if the session, rather than just swinging the stick about.

Before the first clip was about 45 minutes of basic tuition on basic strikes.

Although heavily edited each sparring session was about 2 minutes long.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaM549oMiyY"]Eskrima Seminar Part I - YouTube[/ame]

20. Bozza Bostik

If I can give a tip...

Masc: Check the start when you are targeting the hand. Look at your stance and weapon hand and look at your partners.

Maybe work with your right foot forward a bit more (when your weapon is in the right hand). You tend to be in a left lead with the stick in the right hand. Better for keeping your body out of the way. You don't have to fight like that all the time, and of course you will mix up leads, but it might help a little.

I am sure Simon can explain things better than I can.

*Runs off - Hate correcting people*