Mini Map Meet - The Gathering.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 12, 2014.

?

When do you want this event?

1. Interested before Christmas

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Interested after Christmas

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I know he has a recently recovered hand and now I've been reminded he has a dodgy knee :p

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I will wear my POWER SINGLET!

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Part of his sneakiness is pretending he's injured and then suplexing you into oblivion. Tricky ones, those shroomsters

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I've had my first one and my next is due on Monday, so fingers crossed I should be able to make a MAP meet of some sort this year.

Giving blood every two weeks is a flipping joke though, thankfully it's not every week yet.

I look forward to hitting you all with my rattan.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Sounds interesting but just wondered what sort of kit people will wear and what sort of weapons. If you are used to a staff then a light rattan thing will be all over the place. Could wear the DART type armour but it might get damaged.. we always used heavier weapons to train with to get a feel how things would move/bounce/react as well as to see how it feels when something heavier is hitting your weapon.. thoughts?

LFD

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The idea is to have little to no armour.

Headguards will be essential and I'll supply those.

I would also recommend hand protection in the way of hockey or lacrosse gloves and again I'll supply those.

Weapons will be padded eskrima sticks, which I'll make and supply.

This isn't a free for all.

I'll have a structured session teaching some basic strikes and some basic blocks and I'll then have two minute sparring sessions using both stick and empty hand.

If anyone wants a little more power then I have two sets of full WEKAF armour and rattan sticks can be used.

Personally I think we'll have enough fun using the padded sticks.

This is a fun event with limited numbers due to the size of the hall I'm hiring.

If it goes well I can run another event, get the large hall and get a lot more people involved.

That said it shouldn't detract from the main MAP Meet and it may be better to run two or three of the smaller meets each year.

The other option is that I come to your school and run an event (for charity).

First off though let's get this event done, post some video, get some feedback and grow it from there.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

is the date confirmed yet? since i wanna go and watch southpaw fight on march 7 i might be able to make it if it's nearer that date (also feb 20 is my dad's birthday so that makes timing tricky if it's on the 21st).

i wanna bash people with sticks too :( :ban: :evil:

8. Simon

I'll confirm next week when the Judo centre is open.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I am still game for this and finally make a meet! It has also been awhile since I have done any weaponry so will be education and also sounds like fun.

Only consideration for me is I am starting a new contract in Feb and being a shift worker I will need to give plenty of notice if I am scheduled to work on the date (21st is good through)

10. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

I would be very interested sounds a great idea. I also have a set of kali armour that could be useful?

11. Simon

This is now confirmed for Saturday 21st February. 10.00 to 16.00.

I'll confirm costs shortly, but you can now put this date in your diary.

12. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Bugger I think I am at another seminar that day!

13. Simon

Who's definitely coming?

Places will be limited for this particular event and I'd like to know who's in.

I'll spend some time later writing a brief programme.

I think I'll teach a familiarisation session with a regular rattan stick. This will show you the basic strikes, blocks and counters.

We'll then have a single padded stick sparring session. two people up at a time.

This will be low armour, so a helmet and padded gloves (supplied), but bring Yours if you have them.

The next and biggest session will be the single padded stick and kick boxing session. Here you'll have a chance to test your regular empty hand/foot sparring, but will a padded stick in the mix.

The idea is not to go mad, but to see how the weapon changes the dynamics and ranges of what you're used to.

Other sessions we can do are double padded stick and stick and knife.

If we have any time left I'll be taking WEKAF armour for those that want to do some competition type sparring.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I may not be able to make it, got to see if I can put some friends off visiting and get them up another weekend :(

Mitch

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My work are potentially moving that weekend and there's a fair chance my sister will be having her baby very early around that time , though I may be able to po in and say hello.

16. ned

ned Valued Member

I'm up for coming along if numbers allow .
    (- easier to say that now Bassai won't be around to bash me up !! :p )

17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'm not definitely out , I just can't say I'm definitely coming until pretty much the day before so felt it should be made clear so that other people might jump in.

18. Mangosteen

ill come along simon as long as its not stupid expensive (over 30 quid)

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Stupid expensive?

You've been spoiled. If MA prices kept up with inflation then based on what I used to pay for a normal hour's class in 1995, I'd expect to pay £8.77 an hour now. High levels of competition keep the prices at most MA clubs artificially low even though hall rental and the other overheads have not stayed static.

20. Mangosteen

Stupid expensive may have been the wrong phrasing.

Expensive for me - as most folks know, im incredibly broke at the moment and 30 quid is what i would spend on the gym (and my upper limit for a MAP meet), so i'm sacrificing the gym that month for MAP meet.

which is completely worth the experience