Mini Map Meet (DART Sim Day 6)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by John Titchen, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I can only speak for myself, but embarrassingly missing! Especially considering before the day started I assumed I was going to elbow my way out of everything...

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

4. Llamageddon

Indeed. Must elbow under pressure more.

5. John Titchen

Hardly. Rather you should focus on the elbow strikes you are doing on a regular basis (for example the three Uke techniques I mentioned earlier) and visualise their use appropriately.

6. Llamageddon

Point taken!

7. John Titchen

Just going back to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBtYIYun9zc"]Sim Day 6 Scenario 4 - YouTube[/ame]

In particular I'm looking at the fight started by DART instructor Sampsi 'in short notice character' in the bright blue shirt after I pulled him out and sent him back in mid scenario.

1.51 Scenario starts.
    05.04 Sampsi comes back in.

Sampsi's target is George. One of the things that works very well in his favour is that George thought he was the one role playing and likely to attack if anyone made a fuss about his (in character) predatory advances. As a result George is genuinely surprised by Sampsi's assault even though it is preceded by a lot of pre fight indicators well acted by Sampsi.

Sifu Ben in red does the natural 'pull back' type thing initially, but seems caught off guard by just how explosive the initial attack is. The same applies to George's friend Gary and the other bystanders.

Gary attempts to protect George and engages Sampsi - but a lack of tight high guard means that he gets less shots initially on Samps than visa versa. Sampsi attempts a kick but misjudges distance, a mistake which he manages to make up for by quite a funny slip round Gary as Ben begins to step in to back up his mate.

Throughout the event we can see individuals going through their OODA (observe, orientate, decide, act) loops.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The whole day was very enlightening and I'm still digesting it now. If you watch scenario 3 , in the first round I control the verbal conflict well, but don't really have a good fence. When Sampsi throws a sort of half punch I go to check it, which then triggers the fight. It's obvious to me now that as soon as his hand came up I should have fully retaliated (it had after all become obvious that there wasn't going to be a peaceful resolution to the scenario). Indeed, in the second round I'm MUCH more primed to throw a punch, and I didn't get punched full in the face.

9. John Titchen

One of my favourite 'acting' moments:

Attached Files:

• you.jpg
      you.jpg
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Llamageddon

That bit was hilarious. In fact, I reckon guy could be up for a few awards from that day:

• 'Best Rabies patient' for his screaming
    • 'Best returning to the scene of the crime' when he decided to come back and mug a second person!
    • 'Best surprised participant' when he expressed shock at being kneed in the acclimatisation.

Good times!

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the event from the photos and videos posted on the event. All of it attempts to get as practical/real as possible and it looks like it was a really good training environment that can shock you into realizing your shortcomings or what you're good at. The guy yelling in the first video pretty much brought flashbacks of Green Street Hooligans with the accent for me, being a yank and all.

12. Llamageddon

I'd also like to point out that I think there's a reason for the humour alongside all the serious stuff (which I was thinking about this morning). I think without the injection of humour both at the time and afterwards, it could all become very stressful on the mind. Some of the situations weren't nice, especially when someone tells you you've been stabbed and you had no idea, for example.

Without making the jokes - the gallows humour if you like - I think I may have found it all very different indeed.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The most painful place to be kneed there is.

14. John Titchen

You have to have tension release after the scenarios. If you're not careful resentment and anger can build up against the people who've just been hitting you.

Of course you do find out a lot on these days. Who knew Guy could fly? Or (in a spoiler for the final scenario videos) that the sight of Gary and Sifu Ben leaping over a bar would induce widespread panic?

Attached Files:

• fly.jpg
      fly.jpg
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:
    • Run.jpg
      Run.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I completely agree with this. The humour never detracted from the simulations which had the potential to be very stressful with repeated situations where you know there's a good chance of violence.

If you watch the first video where I point and run, it's in character with the role I was given and although fun for the observers it also simulates a potential situation. I wasn't sure what response the other guys in the scenario would have to my actions so I purposefully did it on the slow version.

When we were reviewing the scenarios there was often humour, some at what we saw and some at our responses to each scenario. It never eclipsed the value of the revision and certainly helped dispel any shadow of self consciousness we may have had. It was a great mix and I felt it left us all feeling like we were in it together rather than harbouring negative feelings throughout the day.

16. Gary

I found that hilarious when it was pointed out, in the simulation I was only focused on one person, having it pointed out how everyone reacted to a 200lb guy ready to jump was great to see on video after!

17. John Titchen

Here is the final video of the day's training.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBtYIYun9zc"]Sim Day 6 Scenario 4 - YouTube[/ame]

Looking back over the day, it was a very different event to previous Sim Days we have run.
    Sim Day 5 had a much greater focus on verbal and body language use to avoid fights, while Sim Day 4 had more intensive fighting.

Ultimately the content of the day is dependant on the student mixture. On this particular Sim Day I tried to use Sampsi less as he has become 'associated' with the aggressor role, and I wanted a greater element of surprise. I gave fewer 'talk down' roles to potential attackers as while the defensive responses were not poor, they certainly needed more practice. Why do I say Sim Day 4 was more intensive? Two reasons. In part because we had a greater number of participants who could role play a loud aggressive large male, and in part because we had more participants who sustained their attacks and defensive responses rather than adopting a sparring hit and withdraw mechanism.

18. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

;are you talking about me or Gary:woo::woo::woo::woo:

19. John Titchen

Are you calling Gary loud aggressive and large?

20. Gary

I don't think I'm aggressive enough. Yet.