Milk As Protein

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by special43543, May 15, 2010.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

My brother is a skinny(ish) strong man. He use to drink whey protein shakes. He now thinks they are "unnatural", and has since moved on to Milk. He also eats a variety of other protein foods such as tuna, chicken, oats, eggs, ect. His post workout shake is literally milk, instead of a protein shake. When he made the switch, he began to lose some weight. I suppose this was muscle. Since then he has gained the weight back, still using milk.

I have began working out on the 5x5 stronglifts routine for about a month and a half, and instead of using whey protein he has convinced me to go the "natural" way. It works for him, so it will work for me right? I have been doing this as a post-workout shake. I feel good. I have kept my diet pretty strict, and have cut down my calorie intake quite a bit.

I do not know how to measure my body fat percentage, but it do not seem to be getting any lower. I was thinking, maybe its due to the amount of fat in milk? Should I start using whey? I am 165 and 5'10. I'm not fat by any means, I just have a little excess flub that I would love to work down.

I also run about a mile and a half on my workout days. Should this be increased?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. righty

righty Valued Member

What type of milk are you drinking?

3. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

I did this and it worked pretty well. I always drink skim milk...and yes, whole milk has a high fat content so you need to have a rather active workout routine to keep up. Taking milk immediately after your workout is important. I take protein shakes now/again though.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't drink milk. I read a book that give many reasons about why milk is bad for you but I don't have that book with me.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Milk is a great source of protein because it has both whey protein and casein protein in it. Whey increases your protein synthesis while casein blocks the breakdown of protein, so using both together is a powerful cocktail. Add into it that milk tastes good and you can drink a lot of it, and it's great.

If you want to gain weight, just drink lots and lots of milk. Not just an extra glass of milk a day, but literally lots of milk. Shoot to try to drink a gallon a day.

6. benkei

benkei Valued Member

The extra fat in whole milk has nothing to do with you not seeing a decrease in body fat. Repeat after me people: DIETARY FAT =/= BODY FAT.
    If you are only 6 weeks into stronglifts you have alot of improving to do, so don't worry too much. Once the workouts start to feel quite heavy and your progress slows you should start to see the changes come more noticeable.
    Upping cardio is always good, especially straight after you hit the weights.
    It's just going to be a case of monitoring yourself and what changes you go through and adjusting accordingly. No weight training program/diet is a one size fits all thing, you will have to change things up to make your body work to lose the fat.
    And for the record there is nothing at all "unnatural" about whey protein. It's a naturally occurring byproduct from the cheesemaking process, technology means we can simply filter it down and get the pure product to take advantage of. Ever seen the liquid on top of cottage/ricotta cheese that's been sitting a while in the fridge? That's whey protein.....

What are you trying to get out of stronglifts exactly? Most people don't cut calories when starting out. You'd be better served eating hard, training hard and putting on some decent muscle. Then when you cut down on the milk (which you should be drinking lots of), the sudden lack of simple carbs from the lactose not to mention the extra calories will enable you to get rid of the fat that much quicker....

7. Evainski

Evainski Valued Member

I'm not that big on the supplement protein, I feel I get most of what I need from my food. I do usually have some whey protein after training and I often have it blended with milk and a banana. Seems to stop my muscles from getting too sore, plus it tastes pretty damn good.

8. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Milk and whey are great in general don't really how one's better than the other. Variety is the spice of life but I'm lactose intolerant so anymore than a tablespoon will give me severe indigestion at least. If you like it stick to it but experiment man. Love it while you can man. I miss drinking milk but whatever.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I drink soy milk, rice milk, and I eat soy cheese. At my age, I don't want to take any chance. The book that I read was "How to stay away from cancer" but this report shows my main concern - farmers artificially inseminate cows every year.

http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp

Corporate-owned factories where cows are warehoused in huge sheds and treated like milk machines have replaced most small family farms. With genetic manipulation and intensive production technologies, it is common for modern dairy cows to produce 100 pounds of milk a day— 10 times more than they would produce in nature. To keep milk production as high as possible, farmers artificially inseminate cows every year. Growth hormones and unnatural milking schedules cause dairy cows' udders to become painful and so heavy that they sometimes drag on the ground, resulting in frequent infections and overuse of antibiotics. Cows— like all mammals— make milk to feed their own babies— not humans.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  10. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Wow, that site is terrible. Talk about scaremongering without decent research to back it. Some of the claims are quite ludicrous and misleading too, this is the problem with the internet, any idiot can put an opinion up no matter how terrible and someone will always take it as gospel.

11. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Yeah, my best friends father is a dairy farmer (very small farm) and they don't do any of that stuff. Drank milk straight from the cow there before! (and its gross!!).

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I do not think milk is a better source of protein than fish or meat.

13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

It isn't and no one said it was, but it's not far off.

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/proteinrating.html

And Pitfighter, have you never heard of lactaid?

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's like the "global warming" issue. I prefer to believe it's true than to believe it's not true. I don't have cell phone because I believe that one day the science will prove that "cell phone will cause brain cancer." I do try very hard to live beyond 100 years old. :hat:

15. 47MartialMan

Your chart that you had linked-referenced is incorrect.

It is far off.

Milk: 8 grams (looked on label in frige)

Steak: 20-42 grams

Tuna: 30-40 grams (pending brand)

Protein in natural foods also depend on the body to process per the weight. You also need to look at the quality of protein in a food, not just the quantity. The BV (biological value) of protein was determined and used some time ago. Lately, there is another way to determine protein quality and actual accounts called the PDAAS ( Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score ). The PDAAS uses a 0-1 ratio scale. This determines the amont of protein actually "asorbed" into the body. Nutritionists and scientists recognized this as more accurate to determine protein in foods.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  16. 47MartialMan

:rolleyes: Funny, some say this about TVs, Microwave Ovens, Computer Monitors, and the Internet :)

17. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Ummm, the chart at that link doesn't tell you how many grams of protien are in each source, it tells you how much of the protien your body uses from each sources.

18. 47MartialMan

Ummm, the BV rating is antiquated. PDAAS is more accurate.

19. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

dairy is bad for you

great source of protein for gaining muscle maybe, not for health.
    The best protein source I have tested so far is Spirulina. Hands down.

I know ive had this argument with kuma more than once lol. let me guess "wheres the evidence in this"... etc etc.

about 75 percent of the world is lactose intolerant. As we get older we have decreased abilities to metabolize lactose. Look at other mammals, just like us they feed on this product as newborns and as they get older they completely stop eating it, all but humans. Instead we start eating other animals breast milk lol.

Many experts that work for the USDA are in the meat and dairy industry... read the china study, watch food inc... etc.

Walter willet phd at harvard says that usda pyramid is ridiculous, there is no strict evidence that comsuming 3 glasses of day of dairy is good for you.''

-According to the health study, drinking milk doesnt decrease fractures, but increases the risk of fractures by 50%.... this was just a belief, there was no real studies, just the idea that "me drink calcium me get strong bones" (since bones are made of calcium....)
    -countries like asia and africa with the lowest degree of dairy consumption also have the lowest degree of osteoperosis.... ((Allergies, Disease in Disguise, Carolee Bateson-Koch, ND)

-calcium has shown to increase prostate cancer 30-50 percent by wilkens, AND casein protein is linked to growth in ALL types of cancer (china study)

finally, some better sources of calcium from altmd.com

1 cup of cow's milk provides 288mg of calcium. Other sources and the amount you can get from a typical serving are:

Nuts and Seeds
    Almonds 1/4 cup 150mg
    Hazelnuts 1/4 cup 106mg
    Sesame Seeds 2 tbsp 264mg
    Walnuts 1/4 cup 54mg
    Sunflower Seeds 1/4 cup 65mg

Butters and Milks made from nuts and seeds are also be great sources of Calcium. And since these products are not heated or cooked, the calcium is highly absorbable.

Vegetables Most vegetables (especially GREEN ones like leafy greens and broccoli) provide between 20 and 75mg per half cup. Lamb's quarters provide 232mg in a half cup! Sea vegetables (agar, kelp) provide about 60mg and Wakame provides 150mg

Beans (1 cup servings)
    Chickpeas 80mg
    Navy beans 128mg
    Soybeans 460mg
    Tofu 258mg
    Tempeh 172mg
    Pinto beans 82mg

Canned Fish (5 oz serving)
    Salmon 338mg
    Sardines 625mg

Molasses (1 tbsp)
    Blackstrap 137mg
    Barbados 49mg

the FTC foudn the following ...:

• Milk doesn't benefit sports performance.
    • There's no evidence that dairy is good for your bones or prevents osteoporosis -- in fact, the animal protein it contains may help cause bone loss!
    • Dairy is linked to prostate cancer.
    • It's full of saturated fat and is linked to heart disease.
    • Dairy causes digestive problems for the 75 percent of people with lactose intolerance.
    • Dairy aggravates irritable bowel syndrome.

connected to
    • Allergies
    • Sinus problems
    • Ear infections
    • Type 1 diabetes
    • Chronic constipation
    • Anemia (in children)

AND all this information i have showed you was not taking into account that if you dont get raw organic milk, all the pesticides, hormones, pesticides, effects of homogenization and pasteurization..

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

And you're entitled to your own opinion. However, keep in mind that one study does not make things fact and there are always studies counter to what one might believe. Such as...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7801188/Chocolate-milk-can-help-athletes-recover.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/148381.php

And so is other non-dairy types of calcium.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Scienc...ncer-say-researchers?utm_source=RSS_text_news

Saturated fat causes heart disease so that could be why. And what if you drink low or even non-fat milk?

And celiac disease is just as common (1 out of 6 people have it) which gives people problems digesting the gluten from wheat. Obviously if you're allergic to something you don't do it. I used to love shrimp, but I can't eat it due to allergies anymore.

So does a ton of other foods, such as red meat, egg yolks, fried foods, nuts, oils, etc. Again, if your doctor says don't eat it, don't eat it.

That's why it's important for people to try things for themselves and see what gives them the best benefit, rather than be afraid to try anything because everything has a study that says it's bad if you look hard enough.