Military Press or Overhead Press

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by liero, Feb 3, 2012.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

So I know they are pretty much identical exercises. EXCEPT the military press is harder because the feet are together.

Which is better as a whole body exercise for improving strength to translate to MA performance.

How does the push press fit in with this equation as well? (bent not locked knee's and hips).

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Do you do MAs with your feet together often?

Push press it pretty much a cheat press. You use it to press more weight by using momentum coming from your legs as they drive up.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

double post.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The old form of the military press was with the feet together. Nowadays it's just really any press that does not use the legs to give it any momentum.

Push press just uses leg drive to get the weight overhead, resulting in heavier poundages.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I wouldn't bother with millitary press unless you intend on competing in a Olympic lifting comp before 1970 something.

Overhead or strict press, since you're unlikely to need your feet together and be strong any other time. IMO

6. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

even if you do it with your feet shoulder width apart ? its one of my favourite exercises, trains one of my favourite muscles, seems to do the trick. would be sad to drop it from my repertoire.

EDIT:feel I may have gotten a little confused, is what im describing what you mean when you say overhead press ?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Yeah lol, I think strict press is awesome! Do not drop it! I just don't see the need to do it with heels touching (ala 'military') I'd advise a shoulder with stance (ala 'strict')

Also I love push jerks, but that is hugely irrelevant.

9. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Get your press to bodyweight before you start worrying about the little stuff.