Microsoft to buy antivirus company

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by BlueDragon1981, Feb 11, 2005.

1. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

I read an article the other day about this. They are going to include it with there operating system.....which means now Norton and MacAfee will now feel the squeeze that Netscape and other browsers did when they decided to include internet explorer.

They plan on having an emphasis on email virus scanning to "better" the product over Norton and MacAfee. This is not a good thing for consumers in my opinion. Microsoft already has a monoply even if they won't admit it, now this just puts more strain on the market going against the giant. We should have never let Microsoft get so powerful. In some ways it is our own fault...we continue paying for their software etc.

What do you think about this....

2. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

So you would buy inferior software because you don't want a monopoly?

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

We buy it because it's universal and (sometimes) the best for the job.

Unfortunately when someone gets as big as Bill Gates, wihtout any real competition, it'll take alot for any comapny to get close to their sales and reputation. Time will tell....

4. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

Saying they have the best software is matter of opinion. I see a lot of open source things I like better. It is universal because we made it that way. We started to rely on them so now we are used to their format. The coding for software is done for windows platform...third party companies have no choose if they want to make a profit....I'm not saying Microsoft is all bad but they soon will have to much of a monoply. Then prices will skyrocket. That is how they can keep the price of their software so high. It is not the best system out there...but that is not why I posted this anyway....

I want to know what you think about them doing this...and possibly causing trouble for other companies because they will put it with windows and since many people just use what microsoft gives them and they don't look for alternatives even if they are better.

Mozilla Firefox is a much better browser than IE, Mozilla Thunderbird is much better than Outlook Express. You can get Open Office for free and not have to spend so much money on a licese when most people simply use it for its basic functions such as word, excel, and powerpoint.

I'm just saying this is going to hurt other companies....which have been working with vendors to make a large part of their profits. Such as Dell puts Norton on systems....Norton gets money for this.....So Microsoft benefits everyone else does not....

5. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

My computer came with Internet Explorer. I don't use it. Just because something comes with your machine doesn't mean you can't use something else if it's better.

6. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

but how many people know about better programs? Hell, I'd be surprised if more than half of the computer-using population knows about Linux or Unix, let alone Firefox, OpenOffice, or AVG.

I, for one, will fight the power, and not use their products unless I have no alternative. It should be stated, however, that currently, I HAVE no alternative, so it's a moot point either way :rolleyes: I mean, I'm using Windows XP right now, and it hurts my soul! :D

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Microsoft can't even make a stable operating system; there software has always had holes in it, breaks and gaps. There's no way in hell im going to trust my files to a Microsoft Antivirus!

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Personally I'd be glad to see the back of norton, no matter how they go. For myself however I'll stick with Sophos and/or AGP. Although have to admit the microsoft anti-spyware program is nice.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm quite in love with Panda :) Hasn't let me down since installing it. Though if you set it to ultra secure mode; it deletes your Battlefield Vietnam config file! :( (as ive found out 2x already)

10. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

Viruses are often designed to target Microsoft products. If they include AV with their operating system, I don't think that is a good move for the consumer.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So wait, because viruses are designed to target Windows programs (not always specifically microsoft products, but usually windows as anything else as an operating system is relatively rare, having built in anti-virus protection is a bad thing?

Nope, can't see the logic there. Sorry.

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I be suprised if it's not nearer to 1%.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I predict Virus Writers producing malware that specifically targets Micro$oft's Anti-Virus program. - Don't you?

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You mean like they already write in stuff to their programs to target Norton and McAfee?

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I mean 'as in more focused'. :eek: