MGS CQC, what real martial arts go into it and how would one recreate it?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheUnnecessaryEvil, Mar 8, 2021.

1. TheUnnecessaryEvil

TheUnnecessaryEvil Banned Banned

So just to nip this in the bud.. I know that Kojima had a military consultant with him who claimed that CQC is real and is taught to special ops everywhere and whatever it is.

Unfortunately this has led many a basement-dweller to dismiss this question on the basis of..

"blah blah SWAT guy interview yada yada
    <opinion>"

Well.. good thing this is a place for intelligent discussion.

So let me tell you what I see.

CQC from the games is mostly a combination of Judo throws and Karate striking. The karate is mostly Shotokan (especially in Phantom Pain) but I do see elements of Kyokushin.. specifically in the infamous three hit combo from the early games. The grabs and chokes strike me more as Japanese Jiu Jitsu than Judo. Finally.. I do detect trace bits of FMA in the knifework and blade disarms that we see.

So what I think is that in order to recreate realistic mgs CQC.. one would need to specialize in a combination of Karate and Jiu Jitsu (the sport of Kudo would be a good way to go about this), study JJJ for a few years, and do about a year of Kali.

Now what do you think?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Are you asking how to fight in the same way as a video game ?

3. TheUnnecessaryEvil

TheUnnecessaryEvil Banned Banned

Lmao no. In that case you'd just copy the movements directly and humiliate yourself in an actual situation.

I'm talking about making a legit version of what we see in the game by deconstructing it and then reconstructing it with the various disciplines we find.

4. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

"CQC" stands for "close quarters combat" so it's real in the sense that fighting in "bad breath" range is a thing; of course braining someone with a brick technically qualifies as CQC (or attempted murder, I suppose, but that's neither here nor there).

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Not played the game but - if it cost anything to develop it would have been researched - so if you want to recreate the "art" from the game then look at what they might have researched. Obvious place to start is captain w.e fairburn's all in fighting handbook used to train ww2 commandos. Fairburn himself had experience of both Indian and Chinese martial arts. was well as, i assume, British wrestling and boxing. I read that he also had judo experience but I am unsure if judo had been around long enough for him to have done much of it.

Then there is krav maga - based on European wrestling and eastern European fencing techniques. For blade fighting the sensible place to research is where people still carry kives and fight with them on a regular basis, the Philopeans and any of the many silats come to mind.

military combat arts tend to stress not going to the ground as it is easy for a passing enemy to stick you with a sharp and pointy.

If any of the game designers were American also look for moves from wwf cos the moves look cool !

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Fairburn arrived in Shanghai 1907, judo was well established at the Kōdōkan in Japan by 1885 so it's more than possible he studied it extensively. Indeed I have read he received a Dan grading in judo.