Metacarpal recovery time?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by mjl, Mar 22, 2015.

1. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

Hi folks, I recently broke my 5th metacarpal in training (just unlucky, the club has an excellent safety record), fortunately it's a clean break at the base of the hand, alignment all correct, no op necessary. But I'm 2 weeks into a 6 week long cast, and wondering from the good people here what to expect in terms of recovery of the hand muscles and integrity of the bone after the cast comes off?

Basically the question is, how long should I wait before using the hand again for bag work and light-contact sparring?

TIA

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I did something similar, did my 8 weeks In a cast, tried to do bagwork and rebroke it almost immediately, I'd be very carefull and avoid all bagwork on that hand for a good few months at least.

3. mjl

Ok thanks Fusen, guess it means I'll have to take it easy for a bit. I'm an impatient sort though, just want to get back to it :)

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Broke my hand quite recently.

I was in a soft cast for about a week and a full hard cast for another 2. I was then placed in a splint for another 2 weeks.

Once again the Dr said I had a quick recovery time. But I still werent allowed to punch with that hand for a total of 10 weeks.

As even though you're out of the cast, the bones are still healing on a microscopic level.

I have seen that my knuckles no longer level, the bone has healed slightly off.

To get my grip back, I been squeezing and playing with a twnnis ball.

5. Mushroom

Behold!

Attached Files:

6. mjl

So my cast came off yesterday. My expectations were obviously different to reality since the pain levels when trying to move my wrist were significant (but not around the injury area). A little better today (maybe up to 40-50% range of motion).

Decided to avoid TKD tonight as no chance of doing anything too useful - and would probably be too risky so went for a run instead. :)

7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Not that I have much experience with this, but almost exactly a year ago in a class I broke my little toe in a, well, not the greatest way - the flesh was also torn (so I got stitches) and the base bone broken and dislocated, the whole toe disfigured. I got a wire drilled in for a month to hold the bones in place. I spent 7 weeks walking with crutches and at least another three limping around with the whole foot swelling if I didn't take proper care of it. No running until almost 3 months later.

But I ignored the doctors' advise and went to a big karate seminar 6 weeks after the injury. Still had to use crutches and couldn't put any weight on the toe, but since there is not much actual walking in training, I was able to endure it while replacing some kicks with hand strikes. The mobility and pain actually improved then, but as a result my ankle hurt for a couple of weeks, because I put the weight on the foot in an unnatural manner.

From this experience I think you yourself will know how much you can use your hand. If it hurts, don't hit anything, when it doesn't, but the hand is still weak, go slowly. Well, that's what I would do, it's not that I know anything about it :) I was able to go to classes regularly after the seminar, just avoiding things that hurt...
    My toe still hurts a little when I tense the muscles and for about half a year it wasn't comfortable to kick the bag with it. It still isn't very comfortable if somebody stomps on it....

You'll see, best luck with fast recovery :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  8. Mushroom

I suggest to take much time off as possible actually. Stay fit obviously but don't do anything where your hands may have to come into play...ie falling from loss of balance and using your hands to break your fall.

The cast comes off as to help with the healing and to assist with flexibilty recovery, it doesn't mean it is completely healed.

Lots of finger wiggling. I still suggest playing about with a tennis ball.

9. mjl

Thanks guys. It's a bit of a timing nightmare as it's our club's TKD comp next weekend. Obviously I've been keen to do it but it's a struggle to grip anything and no chance of wanting to punch or block yet :(

Aarggggg so frustrating !!