Met some Go Kan Ryu people tonight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I saw a GKR muppet walking round York the other day in a GKR Tracksuit with "Go Kan Ryu Karate" emblazoned on the back.
    I wanted to hit him just to see what happened.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

the idea of no contact sparring is silly. Going from sparring pretty hard to no contact can be really confusing, because you just stand there knowing that nothing is going to hit you.

3. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

He'd break your neck with contemptous ease :p

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Now this is priceless...a go kan ryu competition.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE4mg-sqFcc&mode=related&search=]GKR championships[/ame]

This is truly poor.
    I guess that's what no-contact means?
    Bear in mind you only need watch the first exchange of "techniques".
    EVERY other exchange is the same thereafter.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Oh dear. Don't like the look of that. It doesn't even look fun.

6. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Is the referee wiping his brow a traditional gesture?

PS sorry if that's offensive, he just looks like he's being silly.

Also, what is this kata, and it that the usual way of performing it? he looks like a bad dancer.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIG_rZQJOM"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

O... M... G!!!!

I can imagine the school playground type arguments....

GKR1 "I soooo hit you then, you'd be knocked out!!"
    GKR2 "no that would have glanced off my chin!?!?! and my punch to your stomach would have winded you and then I would have finished you off"
    GKR1 "that punch wouldn't have even made contact?"
    GKR2 "Thats part of the rules though?"
    GKR1 "but if you had of tried to hit me with it that wouldn't have made contact!"
    GKR2 "but I would have"
    ME on the side of the matt: "well I would have hit you both with my chi, but I stopped it just before it made contact..."

8. Moosey

Your link has a malformed URL or something :eek:

9. Rhea

oops, hang on I'll try again.

10. Rhea

Go to the original link and look for

"GKR Karate - world cup 2007 - 16-20 silver medalist kata"

I can't get it to work other than that.

11. Moosey

I think it's saifa - Sam or any other wado people might be able to confirm that as it's not a shoto one.

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Moosey's right it is Saifa, which I think is a Goju kata.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIG_rZQJOM8&mode=related&search="]GKR Karate - world cup 2007 - 16-20 silver medalist kata - YouTube[/ame] - Working link if anyones interested.

PASmith:-

See people this is what training in contact karate does to people, turns them into mindless thugs. NON CONTACT KARATE FTW!!! :p :ban:

13. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

When does it start?

I was wrong: it's not like active standing around, it's like the playground gesturing when the kids don't really want to fight. That's really great - I've always said MA training should include fight avoidance... this one has organised fight-avoidance competitions and exercise at the same time.

It's all fun till someone steals your lunchbox.

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

So ippon is through telling to teacher?

15. forever young

forever young Valued Member

whoa i never thought i would see something that sucks AND blows at the same time but GKR managed it..... :woo:
    on the same theme i had a gkr door knocker at my house a couple of months ago but no matter what i said he wouldnt spar with me :( so i told him where to go (to a real martial arts class ;) )

16. Any mod just wanna change the thread title to "Post how much you hate GKR?"

17. volcano-boom

volcano-boom New Member

i used to do gkr (i was 8 at the time and didnt know any better please dont hit me =p)

i remember doing the gkr nationals when i was about 11 and there was this little australian dude wandering around calling himself a 'shihan' and making people bow to him before they were allowed to talk. anyways he did this demo just before the finals where he was supposed to break a few bricks and show how hard he was. he failed. 3 times. and then had to get some one else to do it for him.