Met some Go Kan Ryu people tonight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, Jun 23, 2007.

1. So I went into the next town to meet this girl. [Blonde, Double D breasts :love: ]

And soI meet her friend and at some point she asks me about my Martial Arts. And then tells me Taekwon-Do and Kickboxing suck and Karate is better. [First sign somethings wrong really considering ITF Taekwon-Do and Karate are the same thing.]

So she tells me she does Go Kan Ryu. And I remember hearing that a lot... And remembering hearing a lot of BAD things about it. If I'm thinking of the right one.

So I asked her about it and she told me it was great and her instructor was really great and promptly dismissed the other local Karate school [Which from what I've heard is pretty good] - And then showed me how she would break somebodys neck. [Honestly it was really easy too. The UFC is extremely lucky no Karate guys go in there because the fights would be over in Seconds! :rolleyes: ]

So we ended up in Karate girls house and I met her Dad and her 18 year old old sister. Who despite being very petite assured me they were very good, and told me she was a Sensei.

I dont know if she runs her own school or just helps teach. I shoulda asked her to elaborate.

One of their friends is a Karate world Champion. But on further questioning they told me that they only invite other Go Kan Ryu fighters. :rolleyes:

And then I asked if they did door-to-door sales and they [Girls and Dad] said "yes" and then started telling me how they are all like a big family.

So then we were going and I shook his hand and said goodnight and all and got back to the girl.

-

I actually didnt know we had Go Kan Ryu. I thought it was an American thing but... Is it even worth having a look at their school do ya think?

Anyway. It was still a fun night and I'll have to see if they get in on any open comps so I can watch or spar them.

-

Here's a guy getting hit by a big tire:

[​IMG]

Also yeahhhh - WUMA English Championships tomorrow at Worcester. Any of the usual lot, if you're going, gimme a PM or a phonecall. I'll be dressed in white with a dragon on my uniform. Come and say Hi.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

No they're not, ya wee monkey! :woo:

Shockingly enough, it's far more common in the UK than in the USA. They spread from Australia to the UK in the first wave of invasions whereas they've only colonised the USA fairly recently.

Depends what you hope to gain from the experience...

I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

3. They pretty much are really.

4. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

If you wanted to, you should just go down and have a look, but if they are rubbish I wouldn't go and lord it over them (not that I'm suggesting that you ever would), that wouldn't go too well.

If you think that it is rubbish, then maybe you could invite one or two people from their school over to where you train and let them see what better training would be like. It would seem like the polite thing to do and it might open their eyes. If their too brainwashed to realise this then turning up ala Gracie and doing the strking equvilant of a double leg + armbar in three seconds and telling them how rubbish they all are will probably do more harm than good (again not that im automatically suggesting that you'd do that).

If on the other hand you would rather spend the time doing your own training (or anything else for that matter), then screw it and leave em be.

5. I probably would. My ego is roughly the same size as Mt. Everest really.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

What you could do is turn up, ask if you can spar because you've done a bit of MA before. Then shamelessly pound them all into the deck and say you might come back later.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Never gonna happen , because
    1/ They tend not to let people show up on spec and watch.

2/ They spar no contact

Leave them be and move on (although stick with the girl if she's hot :p ) .

8. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Better still, convert her :D

Yes I am from Australia, and I am sorry we have given the world Go Kan Ryu and Zen Do Kai, but really it is not my fault.

In the competitions here, which are open to all karate schools (no contact or light contact, I am not sure), the Go Kan Ryu people seem to do really well. But it could be because there are so many of them :p

Regards,

9. TheCount

You could always offer to show the girl some real moves... :p

10. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Look, the girl's hawt by your description, ignore the friend for your sake. :D

11. Moosey

That's because the National All Styles are run by GKR and all the referees are GKR referees (allegedly....)

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That was the funniest thing I've seen for a while! I'm surprised no-one else has commented on it. I'm still laughing now. :D

13. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I feel your pain. I used to work with this really hot girl, started to take it to the next level and then found out she/her family were Jehovah's Witnesses. Talk about an almighty **** block.

I freaked out and bailed. Probably one of my biggest regrets to date, but there was really no way around it.

14. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Hmm, I will look into this, see if the martial arts magazines which have the results I am referring to also have referee information. I will let you know if I find something different.

Regards,

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

If it's blitz magazine i wouldn't bother as they're pretty much a gkr mouthpiece.

16. I think everyones mis understood here. The girl I was with aint into Karate. Her FRIEND is. Re-read it.

And yeah she's hot but...

You can decide :D

[​IMG]

I'm working lates every day this week anyway so I aint gonna be checking them out. Working lates even though tomorrow is my 19th Birthday. Yep really.

And for all the people who did ask [None of you] - I did exceptionally well in the English Championships. Except the refs gave the fight to the other guy despite the fact I headkicked him and put him on the floor 3 times - and anyway there'll be a video later.

And the pic of her aint staying up too long coz 9/10 times I get in trouble for doing stuff like this.

-

Anyway. Here's some ROCKING pictures.

The Venue:
    [​IMG]

Me having not took my make-up off properly. Clearly:
    [​IMG]

Random Warm Up Pic:
    [​IMG]

-

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Yeah, sorry about that. I was too busy laughing at the guy getting hit by the tyre.

So, CONGRATS Rags! :) :)

18. TheCount

Ditto, hehehe

19. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

*waits for Moosey to boot Photoshop*

20. Moosey

There's nothing I could do with it that would be funnier than the existing picture of a grinning teenage girl pointing a long pink object at her face.

The fact that this is now cached on a million strangers' computers without her ever knowing it was posted here is, in itself, pretty darn funny!

One day someone from here's gonna meet her and be like "Wow, it's you! You're a MAP legend!!!", and she'll be like "Map? What?".

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007