Met Bruce Kumar Francis

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Sandy, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Well, I went to my first Bruce Kumar Francis seminar and it was pretty darn cool!

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hows the bank account? :D

3. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

hahaha... syd that wasn't nice :p though i have to admit i probably would have asked the same question.. so... how IS the bank account? :D

was planning to go to one of his seminars, saw the price, and decided that it might be a better idea to come to china :cool:

4. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

The bank account's OK. It's ages since I booked the seminar, but I seem to remember paying about 65 pounds for the day. From people's comments, I presume his longer courses are substantially dearer!

For the price I paid, it was excellent value. I went with a degree of scepticism beforehand, but left feeling very impressed by him.

5. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

What was the seminar focused on?
    Any moves done by Mr. Francis to wow the crowds? :)

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Is this the guy that demonstrates the mighty power of internal MA by throwing guys half his size about the place? :rolleyes:

7. zanflad

zanflad Banned Banned

so what did you learn from the seminar ?

8. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

The seminar was a chi gung day, so no throwing people around the room.

What I learnt:
    - Some specific stuff about chi in relation to joints to get them to pulse and relax. My joints "pulsed" and (eventually) then relaxed. I can't explain, but it felt really weird.

What I came away with:
    - A stronger feeling and awareness of chi. I now feel chi flowing powerfully when doing yoga! I hardly think this was what the day was intended for! (Although Bruce does mention yoga in 'The Power of the Internal Martial Arts'.)

What did I see?
    - Bruce Kumar Frantzis doing impressive self-manipulation of his own joints (pulsing and relaxing chi) and powerful healing. (I know the healing wasn't faked, as he did it on my partner.)

I have no personal definition of chi. Nor do I know what to believe, as I'm a biology graduate with healthy scepticism. However, I was impressed by what I saw and felt. I don't to assign any mystical explanation. If it works, that's good enough for me.

What else?
    Bruce Kumar Frantzis came across as a nice guy and very relaxed, which I didn't expect from a lineage master of internal chinese arts who's spent years living in Japan and China. As you might expect, he was also adept at marketing his other courses! See www.energyarts.com

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  9. Azer

Azer Banned Banned

Did BKF mention why it is good to pulse the joints?

10. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Yes, but the better question is how much can I remember?

I think the logic was ...
    - There's a chi centre between your joints.
    - Moving the joints gets the chi flowing (and visa versa, but it's an easier way round to start by pulsing the joints).

Plus, the pulsing is relaxing.

However, I'm extremely novice in the internal arts, so more experienced people will have picked up more.

11. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Mr. Franzis doesn't look very healthy from a western medical viewpoint :eek:
    he looks a bit overweight to me. That in itself can cause high-blood pressure, onset of type 2 diabetes, increased risk of heart attack, and a whole range of other stuff, ranging from arthritis and gout right through to some types of cancer. I don't think that a guy that size should be charging money for folks to get fit..bit like the kettle calling the pot black :)

12. woodrow

woodrow Banned Banned

Depends on your view of fit.

If you think fit is weightlifter muscles and a six pack, I think that is unhealthy from an eastern standpoint.

Last time I saw a picture of Kumar, he was fat in the belly. Fat in the belly is a sign of power in Asia.

If you do not understand what you are looking at, it is easy to assume a person with a big belly is an overweight watching the TV kind of person

13. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Somebody posted a small vid clip of him..............and he looked fat in the belly and fat in the butt. I know that they say fat in the belly means Chi development :rolleyes: .but it can also mean too many cream cakes. He looked positively pear shaped :eek:
    Just coz you are into eastern stuff shouldn't mean that you ignore western medical research.I knew a Kung-fu doctor who died of lung cancer.because he smoked, some Chinese don't believe that smoking causes cancer :(

Any truth that he now lives in the UK in Wales

14. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Your thinking of Erle Montaigue.

15. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Syd
    Thanks for that...just been reading the thread about Earle :D .maybe I got it from there.

16. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

No worries. :)

17. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

is that NSW or Wales.I go on holiday to wales.....wouldn't like to bump into him in........I might say something....and I'd get far jinked.....or worse talked to incessently

18. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Wales in the U.K these days. Erle is actually very reclusive when not teaching. As to how and what he teaches ... works for me, and Fajin is no different to the concept of Bruce Lee's one inch punch technique. It is a legit element of the internal fighting arts and something that Erle places allot of emphasis on in his teaching; and rightly so in my view.

19. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Syd
    Only joking M8 :D :D ...Wales in the UK is a well kept secret, most beautiful part of the world I've ever been.......as to Earle, never met the guy,read the book or saw the video.if it works for you then cool,
    what works.....works ...........doesn't have to come from Won-Long-Pooh...to be effective :D :D .take care

20. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Yep, that's him. For the record though, I've seen students of Bruce Kumar's 1/2 kumar's size toss around guys twice their size. I've also been tossed around by one of Kumar's guys(both willing and unwilling) but I'm probably a forth kumar's size so I'm not the best example.
    If your like me and have constantly had your joints compacted from stick work, its nice to have something to get the joints opening and closing naturally. One way to prevent repetitve strain injuries.