Messed up shoulder?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Southpaw535, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That is true, but I've already missed about 5-6 weeks of training and a Judo grading and am starting to get a bit frustrated. I really need to choke something and I don't think my cat will be best pleased if it's him!

It hasn't helped that my lifting has been on hold the last couple of weeks because I tweaked my back! I've been doing lots of long walks, and really need to get the pile of mats that are on top of my bike moved out of the way so I can up the intensity of my cardio a bit.

I think my body is starting to decide that sport is bad for me! :(

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

The manager of the gym I train at messed up his shoulder last night doing a bit of wrestling. We were going to do some pad work today but that'll be off for a while as he isn't to put any pressure on it for a few weeks.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

ok ok

Well as much as I like to let people founder here is a nice little basic program for impingement problems if anyone wants something to try out :' )

This is very basic but gives some basic protocols. The # sign in NA is the same as pound and refers to weight. Don't forget posture and scapular (shoulder blade) stability is important to allow the rotator cuff to work in best alignment and reduce irritation.

As a general rule find a way to stretch to the edge of discomfort and then increase this over time repeating a few times , a few times daily. Strength exercises should be painless to start. I think you can blend the first and second parts if you are careful although strictly speaking some feel that you should get mobility before trying to increase strength. Personally I blend.

This is a general program for an injured person who is more that likely a NON-athlete so don't go on at me that it is too simple, not hard enough etc.. just something to try out if you like.

I followed this with some some modifications and additions when I tore my rotator cuff getting caught in by an ippon seionage. It took 3 weeks before I could sleep without meds and at least 3 months before I could lift my arm sideways without a big twinge!! BUT of course I was playing rugby and teaching KF at the same time so what can I say (you should do what I say and not what I do ;' ).

Something for nothing.. hope it is useful.

powchoy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. Frodocious

Thank you (yet again!).

You're a fantastic human being - I only wish you lived in Liverpool!

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Just for interest I wanted to say that people are a bit aggressive about getting on with returning to heavier exercise. You can do stuff if you are careful and lucky but it is often better to try something else that needs work rather than go mad on fixing your shoulder over night. I saw one study where an older fellow had ripped the cuff and did not want to have surgery. He started with a few painless small distance movements in each direction and the tear was fully healed after a year. Sometimes it is hard to be that patient!!

I found that although I could not do press ups horizontally I could do them against the wall with my arms kept low enough so as not to irritate the tear. As things got easier I mover closer and closer to horizontal.

You can find ways to work your shoulder and also do carido (ie bike)/ leg training (kicks/stances/sweeps etc). Frodo you could do uchikomi using an inner tube with only one arm!! Where there is a will there is a way.

If you must train be creative and you will find it is not quite as bad as you thought. Heck I only tackle with my right shoulder for 5 months!! When I seperated my AC joint twice the next year I was ready and it took no time at all to learn to only tackle with my left shoulder for a change!! :' )

powchoy

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  6. Frodocious

Thanks Powchoy! I'll rig up my resistance bands on my power cage and start doing some uchikomi. I like your press up suggestion too. It's really difficult to resist pushing the recovery when I'm missing out on enjoyable training stuff, but I know that I need to be careful - easier said than done though!

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don't do that much work when I'm fit and healthy! Also my cat likes being choked he keeps licking me (in before any triangle comments)

8. Southpaw535

And now to annoy those of who are still injured I finally got to step on the mats again last ngiht and it went suprisingly well. Couldn't do one of the takedowns and only had a shadow roll at the end but I'm happy as hell this morning :D

Only downside is my climatisation to the rooms gone out the window

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I might try a little session in the gym later as I'm bored off my tree and it's only the second day of the holidays. Shoulder is still giving me problems but Ill drop the weight and see what happens.

10. Frodocious

I HATE YOU! (In the nicest possible way of course!) ;) :)

11. Southpaw535

Good luck with it man

Haha! I'm too lovable to hate :D

if it makes you feel better instructors shutting the club a week early so I've only go tthis week then I'm back with you lot doing nothing for 3 weeks :(

12. Frodocious

Long walks and Stargate are keeping me (relatively) sane at the moment! I'm going to start some mobility drills tonight and introduce some easy weights later in the week. I did 30 mins of intervals on my bike (on a turbo trainer) yesterday, which went ok - aside from having a sore bum today

13. Southpaw535

Ah the lotion jokes..... :p

Good to hear its getting better though! Watched stargate the other night, universe episode was fun but Atlantis one wasn't overwhelming

14. Moi

Need a kiss better?

15. Frodocious

I like Atlantis, but not to the same level as SG-1.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

You know, I really should have learnt to think more carefully about what I post by now - with you and Mitch around! :rolleyes: ;) :)

16. Southpaw535

Remember watching SG-1 ages ago and enjoying it but not a big tv person so never watched it again. The atlantis episode I saw (think it was atlantis) just involved three people talking about escaping a cave there was a distinct lack of shooty things

17. Moi

There's me just trying to be friendly x

18. Frodocious

Sounds like the episode 'Trio'. I like that episode, but I think you need to be more familiar with the characters to like it. It's not at all shooty, much more of a character based episode.

Of course you were! Sorry! :)

19. Moi

:)

20. Southpaw535

This was really in November? :eek:
    Anyway reviving this for a moment to ask a quick question. My shoulder is by and large fine its got a full range of motion, I can grapple and wrestle with no problemsexcept maybe a shadow of an ache when we go hardcore, and the big test; I can punch full strength and speed with no pain. My problem is I'm trying to get back into doing conditioning at home and push ups and dips still make that shoulder ache far quicker.
    It's been 6 months (I am still suprised as hell its been that long) and I can do all the other strainful stuff with practically no problems hell I can even do my wierd attempt at chin ups without my shoulder going early. Sooo while I know ligament damage takes time to heal this wasn't a serious injury and I an do all the other stuff, so is this just something to do with the nature of those two exercises or a possiblity my shoulder didn't quite heal properly?