Merged Threads: UFC74 (results included)

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Ufc 74

UFC 74: AUGUST 25, 2007 IN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
    venue: Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada

-Randy Couture (#5 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (#6 Heavyweight in the World)* - Gonzaga
    -Georges St. Pierre (#2 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Josh Koscheck (#4 Welterweight in the World)* St. Pierre
    -Joe Stevenson vs. Kurt Pellegrino - Joe
    -Marcus Aurelio vs. Clay Guida - Marcus
    -Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. David Heath - Babalu
    -Kendall Grove vs. Patrick Cote - Kendall
    -Travis Lutter vs. Ryan Jensen - Travis
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

2. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

can't wait. i really hope randy pulls off the win. also GSP.

3. BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony Valued Member

Im goin with Randy Couture and GSP in the main events

4. gornex

gornex Valued Member

super excited for this event i am big fans of randy and gsp. Their my 2 fav fighters and i can't wait to see them fight.

5. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

go randyyyyyyyyyy

I hope he can pull off retiring as the heavyweight champion...

6. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

same picks i have. but i really hope Couture wins. GSP and Couture are my favs; diamonds in the rough.

7. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Another good card! I hope GSP wins, I am not a fan of Koscheck.

8. gornex

gornex Valued Member

GSP vs Koscheck & UFC74 (Results)

I am not sure if anybody else is as excited for this as i am but i thought i would see what you guys thought about how it will go. GSP is by far my favorite fighter and i have to say i am not as confident in this fight as in some of his others. Koscheck should be good and he is just coming off a huge win and GSP the opposite. I think GSP is much more well rounded and although Koscheck is an amazing wrestler GSP is very very good at wrestling as well. I am hoping GSP will win, probably by knock out because on the ground Koscheck is usually on top. What are your thoughts?

9. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

I'm also a huge GSP fan and think he will win. Of course anything can happen in this sport. I don't see Koscheck winning this fight really. He might be able to take down GSP as he did at the end of round 1 with Diego, but if you recall he was immediately swept and had his back taken. GSP's stand-up striking far outclasses Koscheck's, so he won't be able to do what he did for the rest of the fight against Diego either. Should be a good fight and a great card.

10. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I think GSP will take this one, they are a different fighter. Koscheck is good but GSP will prevail. Besides he's a Canuck

11. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I was excited at the prospect of probably the two best athletes at 170 (possibly in MMA) would be going at it.

I think GSP will take it 'cause he's got more tools, and despite the fact that Kos has been heralded as having the best wresting in MMA by some, I think Georges has fought comparable, but bigger/stronger wrestlers in Hughes & Trigg, and an MMA pheonom in BJ Penn. I think Kos might make the mistake of trying to stand with GSP early on, and he'll eat a few shots. After that, I think he'll go for takedowns. I don't think he's got the subs or GNP game to finishe St. Pierre on the ground, and I think St. Pierre's strong enough and skilled enough to defend most of the takedowns and/or keep Josh from getting a good possition.

As far as personal bias goes, I like GSP more, and since he's got more to loose, I'd rather see him get the win anyways.

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There doesn't seem to have been a huge amount of interest in this event as a whole; not just on this forum, but in general. From what I've seen of it so far, there were some pretty good matches

[EXPAND="Results"]
    Clay Guida def Marcus Aurelio by Split Decision

Thales Leites def Ryan Jensen by Arm Bar at 3:47 of RD 1

Frank Mir def Antoni Hardonk by Kimura at 1:17 of RD 1

Renato "Babalu" Sobral defeated David Heath by Anaconda Choke at 3:30 of RD 2. Nice to see Babalu get a win, but word is that he's going to lose half of his purse to the NSAC after holding the choke on after the tap and the ref's instruction to release it. I've not seen it yet, but Heath apparently wore a shirt with Babalu's mugshot on it from his recent arrest. There are fighters you can mess around with like that; Babalu ain't one of them!

Patrick Cote def Kendall Grove by TKO at 4:45 of RD 1

Joe Stevenson defeated Kurt Pellegrino by Unanimous Decision. Really exciting matchup; Stevenson probably moves into title contention with this win when the UFC finally figure out what's happening with the belt

Roger Huerta def Alberto Crane by TKO at 1:50 of RD 3. Huerta was looking good in this one. One of the greatest bits in the UFC ever featured in this one: Crane gets Huerta's back and Huerta used the big screens to aim precision elbows from that position :D

Georges St. Pierre def Josh Koscheck by Unanimous Decision. By "unanimous decision," read "domination." GSP stopped most of the celebrated wrestler's takedowns and took Koscheck down seemingly at will, passing guard, working solid GnP and submission attempts on the ground and looking very sharp on the feet too. Good to see GSP back on form

Randy Couture def Gabriel Gonzaga by TKO at 1:37 of RD 3. No one bet against Couture, right? Couture pressed the pace hard and broke Gonzaga's nose early on. Couture scored with slams and classic Couture-style dirty boxing as Gonzaga gasps for air towards the end of the first.
    Gonzaga tried a high kick early in the second which Couture ducked and clinched with him. Couture got his back on the feet before Gonzaga told Herb Dean that he couldn't see due to blood. They restarted in the same position and Gonzaga grabbed the fence to stop the takedown and Herb Dean took a point away with no prior warning. I'm all for enforcing the cage-grabbing rule but the UFC refs just cannot be this inconsistent with the way they do it. Couture struck inside with uppercuts and hooks at will as Gonzaga spat blood as the second round ended.
    The third round started with Gonzaga trying the high kick again, Couture blocked it, clinched, tripped for the takedown and moved to half-guard, finishing with punches from that position

All-in-all, there were some good fights, and some questionable decisions about the card's arrangement (Guida & Aurelio on the undercard?!), but it was a solid event[/EXPAND]

13. gornex

gornex Valued Member

wow can't believe some of that stuff, only fight i didn't get the winner on is the grove fight, but i didn't see that coming.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm with Sever... while there didn't seem to be a whole lot of excitement coming into this event (???), lots of great fights, but the undercard decisions were just insane, IMO. I'm still finding it hard to believe Babalu and Mir get untelevised undercard fights????

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think that's an indication of how big the UFC has gotten especially with importing some of the Pride guys. There's a lot of talent out there so guys who were big time but lost a few may now be on the undercard.

16. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

It was one of the best UFC's in a bit where all the fights were very good to watch.

17. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
    Randy be da man. Great inside punching by Randy Couture on this match up. Gotta say Randy's head movement in the stand up wasn't half bad. Saved him from taking a few on the kisser that could have been problematic.
    Impressive to be able to keep a guy of Gonzaga's size and strength tied up against the fence for so long. Respect.

19. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I thought Gonzaga was a jujitsu guy? Meaning, why did he have a hard time in the clinch. Maybe I need to look up Gonzaga, before I wrote this.

I agree Randy is starting to move his head some! Still needs some refining like to use the muscles of the torso. Which adds move movement and angle control when punching (MPO). Is it me or does Randy Couture look bigger in the muscle department.

He is Brazilian Jujitsu, 8 wins and 2 losses for Gabriel Gonzaga

His fights are nice and exciting!
    http://fcfighter.brinkster.net/fighter.asp?FighterID=243959

And Randy Couture with,
    16 wins and 7 losses
    The best fights to watch over all!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Couture

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  20. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member