Mental Toughness as a Block to Synchronicity

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dac, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dac

dac New Member

Recently, I have inclined to a softer idea of mental toughness than I am used to reading or hearing about. In the popular conception sports psychology tends to be about pushing through obstacles, ignoring the negative, overcoming pain and adversity. We don’t usually hear, from the common voices of little league coaches, fathers, school teachers, solidly grounded advice that would truly allow us to dwell in the moment. While the “spiritual” disciplines have provided bountifully to the work of depth psychology it seems very little of that has trickled down to the psychology of sports performance. As a student of psychology and a competitive athlete I was surprised to watch my high ideals degenerate over the years into a few shades of dominance and submission. That is, the desire to dominate over opponents and my own mind. It would seem that with too-fixed ideas about good and bad (thoughts, emotions, sensations, and even winning and losing--in the small sense) we miss out on the opportunities for the richest and deepest transformations. These transformations would leave us as not only better performing athletes but more integrated human beings. It seems that it is a tough job that is asked of the sports psychologist. He must constantly balance the true psychological needs of the athlete with the athletes desire for an immediate winning result. I am increasingly curious whether a long term depth approach for talented athletes would, in the end, better serve their needs and goals. In this curiosity I have begun my own athletic pilgrimage, examining ideas such as synchronicity, dreamwork, and the unconscious--I am largely working with the ideas of Carl Jung. I am undergoing a three year experiment to train for a world championship event. If you are interested or can offer insight, I would appreciate it if you could visit me at <<snip>> , and put some ideas down here or there.

Edit: Link removed. MAP has a no advertising policy, please contact an Admin if you wish to discuss Advertising rates.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

thats a big chunk of text to read....

3. dac

dac New Member

It is for a taekwondo guy. Just kidding. Maybe it was a bit much. Anyway, I've been informed I can post my link, but only in my signature. There are lots of big chunks of text there. I'll practice hitting the return key.

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Its not about ignoring the negatives, rather facing them and working a solution so it becomes instinctive within us to find a reason to overcome those negative thoughts.

In all things we need balance, even 'mental toughness' as you call it.

That's where I disagree, you speak of 'shades of dominance and submission' but you use 'coloured' language. Discipline over one's mind/body, submission etc. are not negative attributes. If one practices and trains with good spirit, without malicious, ego driven intent...to submit one's training partner, one's mind etc. is not bad or without 'depth'. It is part of the athlete's performance and psychological experience.

Comes down to the individual, some may start with fixed ideas and through their own journey find their balance and do explore the depths of themselves.

I'm not touching on your research as I really have little idea, I know what works for me and this has changed over time.

That's not true at all, you really need to do your research.

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Nice post Lily :)

But I keep seeing this equation in my head.....maybe you can help me out........

Lily=Mental....something :D :Angel:

6. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I think you're full of it... stop posting giant advertisements for your "quest" all over the place and ask a reasonable question/make an intelligible comment. And if you must use words like "synchronicity," please define them.

Also... paragraphs.