Men in Women's self defence.

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

A question for anyone who runs a women's self defence class or attends such classes.

Does your class run with a "women only" policy in view of catering to women who may not join in; because they don't want to be in a strange environment with men?

Or do you have male helpers in the class to get women used to role-playing scenarios/drilling/resisting actual men?

Considering that in women's self defence, "defence from male assailants" is going to be one of the major topics discussed, what is your attitude to male involvement in women's self defence classes?

I have an interest in the theories and strategies employed in psychologically preparing someone to escape/resist a potentially violent encounter. This is a particular question I was pondering and thought that it would make for good discussion.

Enjoy, :)

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

When my aikido dojo ran women's self defence it was men and women.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Not that I run my own. But when I attended one the topic came up.

The instructor said they used to get men in to act as the 'bad guy', however they had to stop it because the men were getting hurt and injured. The women in the class thought they were there as a boxing bag and so did not really think about their safety. They were basically taken for granted.

I think this is another point towards having a long term self defence oriented class where more womens specific self defence is part of it. In this case you learn more aspects of self defence and actually get used to training efficiently with everybody - injury is not efficient training. You also get to know all class members (male and female) and respect them.

4. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

No men. You can offer self Def as well for those women wishing to be co-ed.

5. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Having volunteered to be one of those dummies, I have to say that even with the headgear on, when you get women being told to let it all out, and you're THAT guy to them (the guy that put them in the class to begin with), it's a little like "Where are your Rebel friend's, now?!?!" when they're showing ya the love. ;)