Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nice one simon! in karate it's typical to do that but with basic kicks.

in fact, this gives me an idea...

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

'Laughs to self'.

What is Fish up to?

3. Fish Of Doom

nothing horrible, just a drill using squats and leg techniques :p.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26adHMbwQ4"]YouTube- squat + leg techniques drill[/ame]

you'll notice i have horribad balance on my right leg and i flail my arms when i kick fast with the left :D

4. Simon

Nice one Fish, a tough drill done as slow as that. My balance on one leg definatey needs work.

5. Fish Of Doom

than again i'm using karate technique for my kicks. this should probably be modified according to each one's way of doing said kicks for maximum effect (although shotokan's horizontal roundhouse is still one of the best leg control exercises ever)

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

just a drill using squats and leg techniques

Now that my friend is a good drill. I've done (and taught similar) but not in that format. I'm having that. :)

7. Fish Of Doom

currently editing a video with some more kicking control stuff (that means "what i should do every day but instead do three times a year" :D)

i even get WAY off-balance a couple of times :p

8. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QmsiVE_UCA"]YouTube- Kicking exercises[/ame]

tis done

balance oopsies abound!

this is the kind of exercises we did for kicking when i was training shotokan (although not the exact same ones)

now hopefully someone with better leg strength will decide to film this, giving people a better example :p. that said, i've kicked 6' tall people in the head more than once, so i know this kind of training works at least a little bit :p

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

IGNITE SC - zig zag ATG squat hops

Ok guys... been rammed out... but managed to get pretty much a final cut on this one up on my blog:

IGNITE SC - zig zag ATG squat hops
    http://ignite-strength.blogspot.com/

Feedback, critiques and questions all welcome.

I'll pop back and add comments to the other posts in this thread when I free up later this evening.

10. Simon

The best one yet Slip, not for the faint hearted. Simple, does what it says on the tin, but hardcore. I totally approve.

11. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Very good exercise - all the best ones are simple. It's worth making sure that when people do this that they know how to do a proper squat and keep their head up so they avoid injury however. I've seen too many people in the gym putting far too much strain on their knees by not knowing how to do a squat properly.

12. slipthejab

Agreed. Sometimes simple is best.
    (on a philosophical side note though... even simple has a necessary complexity to it once you scratch the surface - read on and you'll see what I mean)

I'm in the process of putting a disclaimer on these - all the legal blah blah that has to be on it I suppose.

In terms of squats... it interesting because the bodyweight squat is in some ways quite different from the weighted squat. While there are some doing ATG squats weighted... they will by far be the minority. And while I agree that a heads up posture for a weighted squat is a good thing (as shown in in the video by MAP's own Simon S) to help keep the lower back from rounding out... I'm not entirely convinced that on a bodyweight plyometric squat like these that it's A) necessary and B) feasible.

I've played with the movement a lot and really studied it - using myself as the guinea pig. As I'm based in China I'm well versed in sitting on my haunches... this is the style that many Asians all over the world sit when waitinng for buses... doing chores... or just carrying on a coversation - the ATG lower position. In fact most developing countries and indigenous populations tend to sit like this. It's primarily in the developed industrial world that we sit on chairs more than in an ATG type lower position.

So what I've found is that your hips and pelvis will round out at the bottom of the movement naturally no matter what. It's a biomechanically sound. So why then would people say eyes up... straight lower back when squating?! Well for good reason... under load like the type you'd be carrying in a gym under an Olympic bar... you don't want to be pushing your luck in that end range of motion. It will lead to injury.

Much the same way the knee position in the bodyweight ATG squat differs quite a bit from the squat under load as you'd have in a gym. The knee has that range of motion... moving out over the shoelaces naturally. But you don't want to be squatting under load with the knees moving forward... again the load dictates that you need the knee over the ankle. Even at that many people do manage ATG squats under load with a both a bit of rounding in the lower back and knees creeping forward with no problem. However I don't recommend that they push it under load with that form.

So when I shot this and cut the footage... you sit there and go over and over and over the same clip while editing... you start to notice things in a way that are hard to pick up while you're doing the movement. My head doesn't stay up all the time... there is a natural roll... just the lower back does as the pelvis tucks as I come into the bottom range of motion on the squat. I believe this to be not only normal but quite functional.

Proprioception is a big part of this drill. Sticking that landing and being able to rebound out of it on stairs three flights up... necessitates that you be able to spot your landing first. So the head goes down a bit more anyhow... it would be the bodies natural way of protecting itself. Override that mechanism and I believe you start to risk a much more serious injury... mainly a stumble and fall on the third flight of stairs... ouch. It wouldn't be pretty.

This drill as I've done is really a fair bit different in mechanics than a standard squat where you stop with the top of your thighs parrallel to the ground. I believe the dynamic motion dictates most of what your spine and lumbo-pelvic hip complex do.

Actually in retrospect... I don't imagine there are going to be many people attempting this one. It's hard. I'm not going to lie it's a hardcore blast to the quads and the legs... and pretty much everything. There is two days of recovery after this. Anything else would be not smart. Shooting the vid I managed the zig zag ATG squat hops up the three flights... three times total. I was wrecked. It was proper wrecked. In addition to other drills going up those stairs that I'm still in the process of cutting down. While cutting the vid I was having a laugh because I only show the one time going up. When in reality it was triple the amount. But that's the breaks. You can only watch so much footage of someone going up stairs doing squat hops.

I've yet to ever run into anyone else working these outdoors. Ever. That's a damn long time of training out of doors. Which leads me to believe in all reality there are very, very few people going through this type of conditioning. The only other people I've seen do it... would be fighters that I've run through it. Shame really... if people want strong, explosive legs that has huge carryover to the fight game... this IS the drill.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In fact most developing countries and indigenous populations tend to sit like this.

I think it's funny when people say squatting ATG is bad for the knees. If that were the case people all over the world wouldn't be able to take a dump without doing themselves a mischief. :)
    What's bad for the knees is living a western life for 30 years where your knees never bend more than 90-100 degrees and then going ATG straight off the bat.
    But really, knees are meant to bend that much naturally.

14. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

we now live twice as long as we're supposed to though so our bodies do need a bit more care than they did before - because they were never designed (I use that term lightly - don't get me started on creationists and intelligent design etc.) to take that much wear for twice as long.

The bove exercise is great. Typically at my gym we'll do this without the zig zags maybe twice a week for the 8 weeks prior to a fight. Usually stopping a good week before so that you're nice and rested for a fight.

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Simon, I tried your bouncing push ups yesterday. killer!

thanks(I think);)

16. slipthejab

Video or it didn't happen! :p

I have avoided those. They look hard. They look like the kind of thing designed to make my body type sore as!

17. Simon

That is exactly what this thread should be about. We will all warm up, condition and cool down in different ways and sometimes get stuck in those ways. This is our chance to show what we do, some will like it some won't, some will try out the drills, some won't.

Even if you don't like the drills there will be bits or ideas you can take to put into your own routines.

On top of that Slip in particular gives an experts view on the mechanics of it all.

Also we get to put a face to the name, the whole thing now is like a small club and has a nice personal feel to it.

18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I know this is for members vids but look at this guy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCryg7Y_iYk"]YouTube- Chin Up x 6[/ame]

To train for them im doing 3 sets of 20 second isometric holds at the top 3 times a week.

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That's a good video, but can I ask that we keep this thread for members videos as far as possible please? The only reason I can see for posting a non-mapper's video is for comparison purposes to critique a MAPper's technique.

I know this probably makes me sound officious, but it's to try to stop the thread devolving into a mess of random you-tube clips.

20. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkw-2UMV_ec"]YouTube- bounce pushups[/ame]

10 bounce pushups on palm, 10 on seiken. my cam quality is <beep>, so with the motion blur on my feet it looks like i'm humping the ground :p