Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

IGNITE SC - horizontal rows

Ok guys... NEW VID!!! Just got it up on my blog. With a description of what it does and why you should be doing them.

Nothing too exotic.. just good old fashioned hard work. This is a drill pretty much everyone should be putting in their routine.

IGNITE SC - horizontal rows
    http://ignite-strength.blogspot.com/2010/06/ignite-sc-horizontal-rows.html

Critiques, comments and feedback welcome. Either here or on my blog.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

questions: 1- what about using a different grip? how would that change the muscle recruitment during the exercise? maybe someone could try doing it with towels?

2- would arching your back help or detract from the effectiveness of the exercise?

3. slipthejab

yeah totally. The same way normal strong people do chin ups... rock climbers do them on campus boards... that have strips of wood in varying degrees of narrowness. Some of them not wider than a dime across. So pull this movement from a horizontal position on something like that type of grip would be A) insanely hard B) run the risk of tendonitis unless you built up to it very gradually and C) were in insane shape.

ahahaha 'maybe someone'... step right up! :p
    Yeah I will give that a try tomorrow. For sure it will be grip strength sapper right off the bat. I've played with the idea of taking two baseballs and drilling I-hooks into them... then running loops of webbing off of that around a horizontal bar and using them for pull ups. I just need to find some used baseballs - new ones are too dear to drill through. :p No doubt it'd be an insane grip workout!!

Yep it would. Anytime your start changing the grip or even the orientation of the palm or the thumb you start making subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) shifts in the recruitment of muscles groups. One major thing you'd want to watch out for is the make sure your joints don't take a beating.

You mean arching up towards the sky? I wouldn't think there would be much benefit in it. The body is rigid so that you focus on your upper and mid back. The core isn't a mobilizer here but a stabilizer. Arching the back may run a risk of some type of hyper extension or pull. Not so sure I'd be the test pilot on that one.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that maintaining a flat back during chin ups is one of, if not the best core stabilisation exercise.

I'll try to find the link.

EDIT:

http://bretcontreras.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/25-random-thoughts/
    Number 4

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  5. slipthejab

Great blog that. Brings up a huge amount of questions I have about stuff I work into workouts. In many way it's impossible to know unless one starts to measuring movements with an EMG. And then of course interpreting the resultant data. Not likely for 99% of us. (Though I'm going to check into how much that type of a set up costs and what it entails)...

One thing of note and probably another thread all together is that the guy goes for strength alone. Oldschool style on the classic lifts. So much of what he does won't apply to martial artists in the sense that most martial arts... well at least ones that have a sporting element have some time parameters... so muscular endurance is probably a bigger factor than strength is. Simply because you have to be able to throw that jab or pop that sprawl or wing that roundhouse out there dozens of times over the course of a fight. Strength alone won't do that. Of course it takes a certain amount of strength... but I'm not so sure that strength is the first and foremost concern after a basic level of it in a martial artists training program. (God did I just say that?) So it's a lot of food for thought. That whole site is a tasty piece of reading! :)

6. Fish Of Doom

screw you i still have DOMS from tuesday :p

i'll look into it tomorrow

7. slipthejab

Oh I hear ya bro. Just FYI the vids that I shoot and cut together are usually done on the tail end of one of my workouts. So I'm usually wrecked... but being the selfless kind of guy that I am I give my all to my people at MAP! :p

I may have lost a client because I asked him if he was interested in going through a routine with me... and he said yes... but he had no idea that it was going to be as monstrous as it was. He couldn't walk for two days. lol. And that's just at bodyweight!

So sit tight... I have plenty of good stuff coming up! :)

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I will post a new vid later today, when I finally get my backside down the garden to film it.

Nice and simple punching drill using resistance bands. 100 punches, with the second 50 being faster (I hope) than the first 50.

9. Simon

New video done. I have called it the 100 punch challenge.

I really like this drill. There have been arguements for and against using resistance bands for increasing speed, personally I have found that it works.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQdvMsVLwY"]YouTube- 100 Punch Challenge.wmv[/ame]

You can come off of the bands and go straight into the contrast phase, which would be punching without the resistance bands.

Speed when punching relies on acceleration, but there are three types.
    1. Accelerate at the beginning of the movement, but slow down near the end.
    2. Start of slow but accelerate at the end.
    3. Accelerate out of the blocks, but maintain speed throughout.

Using the resistance bands helps development in maintaining the speed throughout the movement.

10. slipthejab

11. slipthejab

I like it... clean production values. Straight ahead shooting. Breaking it down in front of the camera. Short and too the point!

Your vid is a great example of the oldschool method that I've seen the guys at VOS gym in Holland using for their fighters. Very cool.
    This drill will send the heart rate through the roof as well! Great for endurance of the shoulders and core also.

I'm also liking that you worked in ways to do it without the bands and went on to talk about the contrast phase. Well done.

Big props for shooting this gettin' in on here! This is EXACTLY what MAP needs more of!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  12. Simon

Big thanks Slip. You are obviously an expert at what you do and I appreciate your kind words.

13. slipthejab

You know in this day and age it doesn't take much to get a decent bit of production going. Considering that so far everything I've posted was shot on a point and shoot cam... not even a video cam and it was edited in the bog standard Windows Movie Maker... I would have thought more guys would be keen to jump on in here at MAP.

I'm now at the point where I will stop shooting off the cuff and get down to brass tacks and get a bit of a story board and some more visuals for info and the musculature going on. I often just ad lib with what hits me at the moment in relation to the drill... but I want to move it the next step along in terms of being able to pass on well presented accurate information on the movements and anatomy and carry over to martial arts.

This thread has picked up a nice bit of steam so if we keep at it hopefully others will jump in as well. Fishy has put a lot of effort into jumping and wrecking himself as well!

14. Simon

Fish is a star, mad, but a star and he will be back with more.

I just wish people would leave the ego behind, stop worrying about what others may think and get posting.

It is all about getting ideas out there.

I have a nice bodyweight squat combined with a hamstring stretch, inspired by your last clip. A nice powerfull movement. I will hopefully shoot the video in class tomorrow.

15. Fish Of Doom

ok, mostly recovered now (adductors still sting a bit), so i'll film something today (not now since i woke up like 30 minutes ago :p).

slip, have you considered doing the hi step overs while holding your arms up and looking at your hands (like the wall stretch gymnasts use to test shoulder mobility, but looking up) to prevent lower back bending? of course care would need to be taken not to fail hard, but failing is funny so meh :D

16. Fish Of Doom

isn't that basically the same concept as the dragon flag, but isometric?

17. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU-C0Mhiys"]YouTube- Towel horizontal rows[/ame]

fear the hair!

now we need someone with some actual strength (slip, flaming?) to do them with one hand

18. Simon

Here's today's offering. A dynamic hamstring stretch combined with body weight squats.
    This has always been one of my favourites.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgF2DLdtK2I"]YouTube- Dynamic Hamstring Stretch.wmv[/ame]

I wasn't really at the races this morning when I filmed this, but even so it was promised so I thought I better deliver. Editing has helped I think.

19. slipthejab

I'm diggin' it. Well done. This is a great dynamic warm up. I particularly like the tip about looking up towards as spot high on the wall or the ceiling. Very important! Nice to see other people putting out vids with good habits in them!

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member

That bad oneis the way ive been trying to do them. I thought the last one was bad. :confused: