Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Dear Mr of Doom, or can I call you Fish?

There are some good drills you can do in the headstand.

1. In your start position, before you raise your legs, place them in a straight position behind you. Walk you feet in slowly until you can just raise them off of the ground. Your legs should still be straight. You will effectively be in a headstand, but you will be bent at the waist with toes only 1 or 2 inches off of the floor. A good core workout this one.

2. From this position you will need to really engage the core to raise your legs. Keep them straight at all times (no tucking in). Slowly, slowly raise then until straight up above you. I likethis movement as it uses so many core muscles.

3. As number 1, but this time start with legs apart. Raise them (straight legs) a couple of inches off of the floor. Once you have this down you can raise them (straight legs still) above you. Draw them together at the top of the movement.

When you come down from your handstand it looks much more professional if you lower then straight legged, rather than tucked.

If that makes no sense let me know and I'll shoot a video.

Core workout with knobs on.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

so like an upside down L-sit?

then from there raise legs until i'm in a headstand the third variant being the same exercise with open legs, closing at the top?

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sounds spot on to me. Good luck.

4. Fish Of Doom

i won't try it right away though. sub wrestling just fricking killed my abs even more, so i'll have to skip the workout today :cry:

i'll try tomorrow or on thursday depending on how i heal up.

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

FOD: What PASmith said about the handstand. Though it is possible to do them with arms wide, it is a difficult variant.

paz,

dormindo

6. Fish Of Doom

interesting. i would have thought arms wider would have been more stable. i'll try with a narrower grip next time, cheers. any tips on hand position?

7. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

In your pockets. ;) Video or it didn't happen. :Angel:

8. Fish Of Doom

just tried to go from headstand to no-hands headstand but couldn't, so i just did it on my fingertips. also tried narrower handstand, but my balance still sucks balls. videos coming in a while.

9. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HMlyXTs3A"]YouTube - ‪moar headstand!‬‏[/ame]

headstand with vague and unsuccessful attempt to remove one hand from the floor to put it in my pockey :p. i just went "screw this" and went up on my fingertips for the lulz

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3I1tD1bMc"]YouTube - ‪failstand chronicles 3: the lean, mean, leaning machine‬‏[/ame]

narrower handstand attempt. balance still sucks, and i think i identified the source of my leaning (i appear to straighten one arm more than the other).

10. Fish Of Doom

and i still look like krusty the clown while upside-down with my hair untied.

11. SpikeD

I want to borrow your hair next time i go for headstands. I have none and my scalp hurts still from yesterday.

12. Fish Of Doom

hahaha! maybe use a towel?

13. SpikeD

The missus may complain. Oh, you mean the other type. :ban:

14. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Nice headstands/handstands. On the latest handstand, are your hands even/on the same line because--and this may just be perspective from the camera angle--it seems as though your hands are uneven (left slightly ahead of right). At any rate, it definitely appears that your torso is twisting to the right when you're inverted. You certainly want to straighten out both arms the same, though don't lock them out. All in all, it's coming along nicely.

paz,

dormindo

15. Fish Of Doom

cheers man, hadn't considered hand aligment as a factor. need to check that next time. incidentally, is it detrimental if the angles of the hands relative to each other vary? building off of that, what are generally considered the best angles to have the hands in?

16. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zYaTgmbKI"]YouTube - ‪random idea - two attempts‬‏[/ame]

excuse the shirtlessness, but meh. just trying out a random idea i had.

17. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vem-ySVH_CM"]YouTube - ‪static hold tries‬‏[/ame]

i need more triceps and lat strength. and better posture. dips time!

18. Fish Of Doom

also someone else post something, please.

19. Fish Of Doom

i know!

when i get to the UK, i'll do a headstand, spreading my hair out behind me, then you can do a back-to-back headstand behind me and use my hair as a cushion.

20. SpikeD

With the epicness of the Fish hair we could probably get a convoy of MAPpers headstanding. Heads around the world.