Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nice work Slip. I love Spiderman press ups, as a variation I like to lift each leg up behind me, look over one shoulder and go much lower on one side than the other. Increases the ROM of the motion without having to find some blocks to dip between and works that core stability too.

I've been meaning to see about getting some Youtuube footage up so I might try and do a vid myself.

Always good to see Youtube peeps doing their thing. We do so much internet gabbing it's nice to see people training too.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Good stuff, definitely want to try that out! I'll do what I can to get something recorded but my camera is crap with a capital C :D

If not I'll post some results when it's finished raining and I have somewhere to go

Also, spiderman press ups are like the best things ever!

EDIT: just tried a few out in my room, and my arm is still strained. So wont be able to do them properly till that's sorted :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Totally dig these... I call them Scorpions if we are thinking of the same thing and they are great to open up the hip. The make them crazy hard... the side the leg stays down on really has to work.. the shoulder chest.. core... all of it! Thanks for the reminder!

Yeah man go for it. Good fun and a great way to start seeing your own training. I pick up on so much stuff when I watch myself. I spot all these tiny errors in form etc. So it's really a good way to give yourself feedback.

4. slipthejab

No excuses! It couldn't possibly be worse than the phone on my camera used to film this first clip.

No excuses! Get out onto the pavement in the rain. Nothing makes you tough like training in the elements! Seriously!

Yeah bro have to do something to keep press ups interesting after all these years!

5. Llamageddon

lol - point taken!

6. slipthejab

Ok good news.... lol. I've shot a ton of stuff... and started to cut it down for presentation here. I've uploaded a quicky edit for you to get a feel for the flavor.

OVERHEAD STEPPING THRUSTERS - USING 25LB RESISTANCE BAND
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bag4nYUXZIQ"]YouTube- IGNITE SC - overhead thrusters drill[/ame]

I'm going to work in a bit more of actual instruction into them. Will start off with mores static movments and work towards more dynamic movements.
    Give people something to progress towards.

Let me know your thoughts! Feedback and critiques welcome!
    Feel free to leave comments on and 'likes' on the YouTube page as well.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  7. slipthejab

ok got another one up...

LOWRIDERS - prone drill using 25lb resistance band

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu9WjgjOqJw"]YouTube- IGNITE SC - lowrider drill[/ame]

Let me know your feedback people. Let's get more people uploading drills!!!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good stuff Slip. After reading some Ross Enamait books I've come to realise how versatile resistance bands are. They always seemed a bit "pilates" before.
    Now I've got some old bike inner tubes attached to my garage that I use for resistance punching/core drills. Hook your elbow through and throw some hooks basically. Keeping that core nice and tight.

And it's no wonder there aren't any kids using that playground.
    "Mommy, mommy, a strange man!"
    :)

9. Llamageddon

I did actually think that myself! :eek:

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've got a fun workout I've been working on I may film for this given a chance. I call it "The Lumberjack" because it involves pounding tires with sledgehammers, dragging weights, carrying weights, and lots of pull-ups.

11. slipthejab

Here goes yet another... Yes one more drill that just takes a $4 resistance band and the will power to get it done. This ban was one that I actually wore out... and it snapped. It turns out to be hella useful like that. So it's a mad bang for your buck considering it weighs nothing and covers so much ground.

IGNITE SC - slip line drills
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5Tmo3Ky6s"]YouTube- IGNITE SC - slip line drills[/ame]

Comments, ratings, critiques, questions all welcome.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This thread needs re-naming (or a new thread doing with some of these posts in it).
    "MAP members workout vids" or something.
    Exercise ideas, drills (not pure combat drills I'd suggest), routines etc.
    Then sticky that mofo.

13. slipthejab

Yeah Im up for it. It's a good motivator to keep posting this stuff up. I still have tons of stuff I shot the other day to cut down and get up. Need to get the editing and instructional part up to scratch as well. Lots of stuff I'd like to include in terms of the whys and hows of what Im doing and how the carry over works.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What are you using to edit this stuff slip?
    Anything freeware I can use off the interwebz?

15. slipthejab

Yeah man this is the low of the low end:

Camera - Olympus FE-230 7.1 megapixel
    Software - Windows Movie Maker
    Computer - Dell Inspiron laptop
    Operating system - Windows Vista Home

So as you can see in terms of editing. It's bottom of the barrel. Seriously. But... the key was this... if I waited until I got Final Cut Pro set up on my other computer and got my HD cam set up right... and lit it and shot it and all this other crap that would be come an excuse to NOT just get it done. I'm the king of NOT getting it done... but I've decided to change it. I'm gettin old man I got to do it some time soon... lol

So yes... Windows Movie Maker is free with most Windows systems I think... if not you can easily download it for free from many places.

It's pretty easy as far as editing clips go on a time line. Nothing fancy... but you don't need it. Let me know if you can't find it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  16. Llamageddon

Done :)

17. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

It aint my workout guys (I'll try and get some of that recorded and put it up) but you guys GOT to look up the workout that the guys did for the movie 300. My coach likes things like this for ideas for circuits at the end of training.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6Dncpan4w"]YouTube- The Making Of 300 - Training[/ame]

18. slipthejab

Yep it's been done and widely discussed at MAP... the whole 300 thing. But the whole focus of this sticky is more so that members can post what they are doing in terms of workouts and movements. We should keep it that way... otherwise it could be any thread on MAP with random YouTube workouts.

19. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

fair do's. I'm coaching up at a gym tomorrow - might video the circuit I test them with. All of them novice level or lower.

20. slipthejab

Ok here goes the last one for the day:

IGNITE SC - sideline crossovers
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_8wcuMcWo"]YouTube- IGNITE SC - sideline crossovers[/ame]

Read the rest of the info on the YouTube page to understand where this type of movement is coming from.

Feel free to add feedback or give me critiques... or even post your vids of the same types of movements or variations there of!

Looking forward to it!