Melvin Guillard's (sp?) post fight comment

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by kgrad5, May 30, 2006.

1. kgrad5

kgrad5 Valued Member

Im a huge MMA fan and ive started taking MMA classes (although i enjoy bjj more so im starting to take that more then mma) but i think Melvin's post fight comment was uncalled for. For those who dont remember it, he said that kenpo does not belong in MMA..

Honestly, win with some grace, dont bash the guys style.. hes in there fighting with you, thats gotta say something. not everyone trains in just bjj and muay thai (doenst fedor have a sambo background?) anyways just wanted to voice that.. anyone else with opinons?

2. stump

stump Supersub

Didn't hear the comments or see the fight - what was the context?

3. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

He said something like "and to me, karate has no place in the octagon." I think it was in response to some sort of question regarding agressiveness and aiming for the KO and I think with a lot of karate/TMA's as far as fighting in the octagon is concerned, it would be pretty effective to rush in as a boxer and just throw combination because the other fighter was trying to fight from the outside and land those side kicks or whatever.

It's just his opinion (and the opinion of most competing fighters/trainers) and it's not a big deal.

4. stump

stump Supersub

Probably wasn't the classiest thing to say then - imo if you can beat people with it you belong in the octagon - but as you point out stomp it's probably a fairly accurate statement.

5. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I'll tell ya what, I was at a grappling tourney/MMA fight night in Little Rock on April 1st and Melvin was working the corner for his guys. He AND his fighters were about as low class a bunch of clowns as I have ever seen. Seriously. It was awful.

6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

*cough*who cares*cough*
    *cough*truth*cough*

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't know, who would take him seriously?

It's not like anyone in the UFC is going to act on his opinion, there are fools in every sport and maybe he is one of them.