Meh, why can't I hit my bag properly?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KidCanFight, Dec 22, 2006.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Ok, well I am a blue belt in TKD and I have recently got out my kicking bag after about 8 months of not using it. I try kicking it, and I just can't seem to do it properly. I can kick quite well into nothing, but with the bag I hesitate, and the kicks usually hit the side and make the bag spin around.

I guess that is why bags are so good, you get used to where to stand and everything.

I know practise makes perfect, but are there any other ways I can improve my kicking into a bag?

Thanks!

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Sounds like maybe you've developed some sort of mental block when actually making contact with your bag. It could also be that your distance is off to the bag, therefore your kicks are not making proper contact with the bag causing it to spin. Kicking in the air is fine in terms of having zero resistance, however once you incorporate any form of bag or pad training then your leg/whole body needs to adjust for the effects of the impact from your kick. Depending on the kick you are practicing, try ranging yourself properly from your bag. Execute the kick starting out with minimal power and increase it from there. Hope this helps :)

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This is becuase TKD is for big girls blouses. What you want is to quit TKD and train in something you can use on the streets. MMA.

:D

4. KidCanFight

That doesn't really answer my question.

5. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Let's ask Bil about that. :Angel:

He's just jerking your chain a bit, Kid.
    I'm assuming you are talking about either front or sidekicks, both?

6. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

if your kicks aren't working, shoot. ;)

make sure you're aiming through the bag. beyond that, talk to your instructor.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

exactly.
    98.24% of all fights go the ground.
    Therefore... MMA is the answer to your question.

:D

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Are you using shin or ball of foot? Shin should make it easier, stop it spinning so much. It requires you to change your distance though.

Check both your range and the angle of your leg to the bag when delivering the kick and where on it's curve you're hitting - are you hitting past 90 degrees, so catching the rearward part of it and spinning it.

Other than that, just keep hitting it! :D

Mitch

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

For God's sake Slip I wish you wouldn't spout your ill-informed garbage to impressionable youngsters who may not know any better.

It's long been established that at least 98.75% of all fights go to ground, do try and keep up ;) :D

Mitch

10. KidCanFight

I try doing front kicks, side kicks and turning kicks. I have tried jumping back kick and stuff, but they are really hard.

Anyway, I use the ball of my foot (thats what we do in TKD) so yeah.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Oh dear, Slip's been on the Christmas sherry already!

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

how heavy is your bag??

Dont try and go balls out if you arent used to hitting something when kicking. Start nice and light untill you are more comfortable. Make sure you arent losing your technique because you are trying to hit it too hard to start with. Also ask your instructor or someone in your class who trains on a heavy bag to help you out- show you how its done.

do you warm up properly before?

13. mrsumo

mrsumo Invictus Maneo

What exactly is the problem you are having? Are you missing the target or holding back on power? If targeting is the issue you can try putting some X's on your bag with duct tape. One at chin height, one at the solar plexus and so on.

14. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

You'll find that bags spin when you hit them with a straight kick most of the time to some extent, your kicks shouldn't be slipping of the sde though, that sounds like you'r having a hard time with the accuracy part, the only way youtr goig to improve that is through more work on the heavy bag.

The reason you think that your kicks are ok in the air is because you don't have anything to measure them against, you aim for a point in two dimensions at best bedcause you have no good feedback on depth (Which in turn messes up the height of your kick) and you have no feedback about whereaboiuts on your foot/leg the impacts taking place.

15. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

LOL! Not sure why I found that funny, I haven't heard that expression before!

:D :D

16. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

KP.......oh where oh where did your mind wonder off to :eek: ;)

17. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

what weight bag are you usuing? size of the bag? there are factors to do with the bag which influence how well you can work with it, failing that just keep working your kicks into hopefully the right technique will fall into place, its the same for everyone, you work at it a while and then your flow just comes and your working the bag properly, keep trying :)

18. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I have a feeling you might not be totally confident with your contact point. Try this, before you start kicking pull your toes back and practice striking with the ball of your foot against the ground, genlty at first and then with a little more force. This will help get you used to the postitioning and keep you from throwing the accidental "toes first" front kick (ouch).

19. Evil_Monkey

Evil_Monkey New Member

I'd suggest marking a spot on the bag with some tape. Start with slow-motion kicks and push the bag rather than strike it, at first. Gradually work up the speed and intensity until you're hitting near-full force. This'll help you get comfortable with both the balance, aim and weight distribution issues that aren't prevailant when you're kicking air. When you get a little more comfortable with the bag, mark a couple other spots on the bag and try to hit them all without lowering your leg, again starting slowly and working your way up until you are accurate with rapid succession.

Best of luck, my friend!

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ask your teacher.