Meeting the Parents

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by warriorofanart, Dec 21, 2013.

1. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Hi guys,

It's been a while :)

So, I am meeting my girlfriend's parents for the first time. They graciously invited me for Christmas.

I know they'll ask me about my job, major/career aspirations, family, etc. Those are simple questions. The whole act polite, don't be exceedingly "affectionate" with your girlfriend in front of her parents, and the ilk are all common sense, and I can hold a conversation rather well.

BUT! My girlfriend just texted me that her mom "jokingly" told her she'll ask me a question like "Why are you good enough for my daughter?" Now from what my girlfriend told me, her mom does not have a sense of humor and I think I am in for a grillin'. :eek:

Any advice on anything related to meeting your SO's parents for the first time would be appreciated. :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope. It's going to be uncomfortable now and in the future. It sucks all around every time. Good luck!

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Haven't been in this situation yet. :D Sorry I can't help, mate. :/

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

God help you. Remember, there's no atheists at the in-laws' house.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Try to watch some movies and you may be able to borrow some good lines.

You can say,

- "I love her everyday and twice on Sunday." (from tv series Taken)
    - "When I look at her, I swear that I'm looking at heaven. I promise you that I'll love her for the rest of my life ..." (from Tombstone at 0.42 and 1.11 - I think this is better)

To her mother, your love to her daughter is very important. If her mother wishes to have a boy friend like you when she was young, you won't have any problem after that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whLOSRkoewQ"]Tombstone the Movie - Clip of the Final Scene of the Film - YouTube[/ame]

6. warriorofanart

Thanks for all the responses!

I am just going to dress sharp and be one hell of a gentleman.

Edit: Just saw your response YouKnowWho. I'll see if it's appropriate to drop lines like that once I meet her parents. I think they'll probably care less about how I express how much I love her, rather if I'll treat her right :p

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You could say.

"Well she has chosen me after spending time and getting to know me, she knows her own mind and is capable. I feel I'm probably not good enough for her but how she looks at me and makes me feel means that I'm spending everyday making sure that I will be. Anyway like I say she's actually chosen me it's not like she's stuck with me by some accident of birth or anything..."

:D

8. warriorofanart

WOW! This is perfect!

I was going to say: "No, I don't think I am good enough for your daughter, because she's the most wonderful person I've met and she inspires me to be the best I can be, everyday. It's hard to match that."

BUT, I like your response a lot more. I thought mine showed a lack of confidence :p

Edit: Obviously I won't be saying that last sentence XD

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Oh er alright, cheers.

Just take off that last bit of mine. :D

10. Ero-Sennin

Dropping that line on the first meeting is not an option, unless you don't want there to be a second meeting. This is true no matter how good of a sense of humor they have. Don't do it.

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I dunno man, my parents get along with my sister's current bf better than they do with me some days. :D

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I won't suggest that line. You have to show self-confidence. You need to give her parent an impression that you will be somebody oneday. If you say, "I don't think I am good enough for your daughter..." What if her mother says, "If you don't think you are good enough for my daughter, what are you doing here for?" You may just put yourself in a bad spot that it will be difficult for you to recover after that.

This is why I didn't suggest the following lines.

"I have nothing left, nothing to give her, I have no pride, no dignit, no money, I don't even know how I'll be able to make a living. But I promise ..." (at 0.53)

In the Tombstone movie, he only need to impress the girl. There were no parents involved. Since the girl was rich and didn't care about money, that line would work for her.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whLOSRkoewQ"]Tombstone the Movie - Clip of the Final Scene of the Film - YouTube[/ame]

13. Ero-Sennin

That's because he's always sucking up to them!

14. unpossible

unpossible Valued Member

"I've wondered that myself. Maybe you could ask her and tell me."

15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Just say “if im not, does #girlfriend have any sisters you think i‘ll be suitable for?“

16. Rand86

You two win the Internet for the day. How you split it is up to you. :D

17. Rand86

Ha! I can get onboard with that. :D

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Whatever I do, it's the opposite. Can't really be any clearer than that sorry :)

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"Dat ass" - what you should NOT say if asked what you like about her!

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

First time of meeting my ex-in laws we where walking across a lovely village pub carpark towards them as they were there with a group of friends. Half way across the carpark I pushed my wife to be away and said in a really loud voice "I don't care how much money you offer me, I'm still not sleeping with you!"
    Like I say, do the opposite of me and he should be Ok :)