Meditation...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Anarch, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Can someone explain the benefits of meditation to me? What is it suppose to accomplish and how does it help in your style?

Also, if you know of a website or something I can check out to learn meditation and info on it, please link me.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

meditation should benefit you as a person. not your style. it is suppose to create balance and focus in your mind by helping you cull the unnecessary things that block you. also, it gives your body and mind a time to relax.

om harmonics has a good demo here www.omharmonics.com/

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Strange how meditation is thought of as a quasi-martial art activity....... :(

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

we do om harmonic type meditation as part of the warm up for indian classical music and for the cool down.
    yoga stretching might be better for MA

5. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Well since my meditation would be for martial arts and having a relax time and focus time, that's why I geared it more towards being associated with martial arts. Not saying it's just for MA but my trainer, who did Iron Palm, used to always talk about meditation, relaxing, focus, etc. and I'd like to use it in my training as well.

6. Meditation won't make your MA better until you start actual training Anarch! ;)

Osu!

7. shootodog

yoga will help you more.

8. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I am ;)

9. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

It helps you to leave your ego at home which is a great help when it comes to not getting involved in silly incidents and arguments that lead to fights.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

There are lots of different types of meditation. I like a simple Buddhist one. I sit in a comfortable position and count my breaths. You can count on both the in and the out or just the out. Don't try to think about anything and don't try to not think about anything, simply count your breaths. I do this for 15 minutes a day. When your mind wanders away from the counting, and it will, simply detach from the thought and start counting again at one. When you get to 10 start again at 1.

What I get from this is that I find it a lot easier to turn down the volume on the noise in my head as well as being able to stay in the current moment better. I don't focus near as much on the past which I can't change anyway or the future which hasn't happened yet.

11. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Thanks for sharing this meditation drill!! I always wanted to try some meditation exercices but I didn't know from where to start or where I can find information about meditation. I am going to try it out:cool:.

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

OP, I would say meditation has a indirect effect on improving your MA.

It has been shown that meditation has beneficial effect on health, research has demonstrated its positive effects on the cardiovascular system (blood pressure, stroke/heart attack recurrence/recovery), the brain (neuroplasticity and learning) as well as the psychological state of mind (improved sense of well being). There is a lot of info and studies online, have a Google if interested.

So taking the above in to account, if you are healthier and mentally more sound, this will not impede and will likely improve whatever it is you are doing, including MA.

Also, through meditation, you tend to develop greater awareness, which includes greater awareness of yourself and your surroundings. Greater awareness of yourself allows you to control your body and mind better and greater awareness of your surroundings keeps you safer in terms of seeing potential threats etc etc.

There are many different types of meditation, so I think first you should see what appeals to you, then find a person that can teach you. A lot of Buddhist centers do free or cheap workshops, might be worth seeing what’s in your local area.

Here is some info from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

13. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the links and try the method posted above.

14. 47MartialMan

Hence my post-Strange how meditation is thought of as a quasi-martial art activity

I know a lot of India(ns) who mediatate and only one of many actually had involved it with martial arts

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  15. shootodog

meditation is not some button that you push to go into hyperfocus so you can channel all the comsmos' energy into your inch punch.

16. 47MartialMan

What? I've been lied to....it helps my Chi button

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i like this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFlrdXVFgo"]how to practice zazen - YouTube[/ame]

18. shootodog

i honestly enjoy my 15 mins of blanking out. it helps me stay sane.

19. 47MartialMan

You mean cat napping???? :heart:

20. shootodog

no that would be 30 mins. power nap after lunch. gets me ready for the rest of the day.

my blank out is scheduled after the post run (or post workout) stretch. you sit. breathe. clear your mind. remember to breathe. remember to clear your mind. stop thinking. i said stop! oh, it's 15 mins. already. nuts. hit the shower.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012