medieval eye candy...

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Reiki, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Behold! My new 14th C hourglass gauntlets & manifer... custom made for me :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Nice.
    What is the purpose of the manifer?

3. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

The manifer provides extra protection for the hand, wrist and forearm on the side which gets smashed by the lance...

It goes over the top of the hand and vambrace on the forearm so that if you are unlucky to get a hit there, hopefully the arm isnt broken at the wrist and the hand isnt smashed.

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Interresting! Is it based on historical sources, or is it a modern sports-precaution?

I've discovered that hourglass-gauntlets is a must if you want to do longsword on foot, and I've come to the conclution that gauntlets that don't allow wrist movement are gauntlets meant for mounted soldiers (only two swordstrikes from horseback, acording to my knightly friends, it is because if you start angeling your wrist as you cut and the sword gets stuck, your wrist breaks. If your thingie is a historical piece, the gauntlets not allowing wrist movement could allso be for reinforcing the wrist-region if struck by a lance... think I learned somthing new! :D

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Very nice, Who made them because that's a very good eye and hand that di them.

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Awesomeness. I'm saving up for some gauntlets myself.

-Mark

7. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

manifer

also:

man•i•fer

Pronunciation: (man'u-fer", -fur), [key]
    —n. Armor.
    a gauntlet for protecting the left hand when holding the reins of a horse. Also,main-de-fer. [Random House Unabridged Dictionary]