Measure your punching progress

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Alyaa, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Alyaa

Alyaa New Member

Hi All

We are basically trying to develop a prototype for a wearable device that can measure progress of kickboxers in particular, like telling you how strong your punch is, how fast is it, how much does it compare to other trainees/trainers, what type of punches is your best ...etc

So, what do you guys think ? Does it sound interesting ? Do you think such a wearable device would be useful to kick boxers out there ?

Highly appreciate your response
    Thanks a lot
    Alyaa

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Why only kickboxers? Shouldn't you widen the market to try and appeal to all striking arts?

3. Alyaa

Alyaa New Member

This would be great, we are still exploring who might/might not be interesting ? Do you have any suggestions ? what kind of other "striking" arts do you think would be interested ?

4. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Would it be restricted to hand techniques or are you also developing a device for the legs aswell? If there is one available for the legs, that makes it a viable product for almost all striking arts. Boxers, TKD stylists, Muay Thai practitioners, Karateka, etc, would find some sort of use for it. I would definitely want to find out how fast my punches are or my legs are.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sounds like a tricky engineering problem. I assume you're planning something involving accelerometers?

6. Alyaa

Alyaa New Member

I would really like to discuss this in person/phone call so if its ok to pass your contact number or skype or viber ID I would highly appreciate it.

@holyheadjch: yes

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Alyaa, if you're only here to promote a product, then please contact site Admin regarding an advery.

I hope MAP is going to get a share of the profits if we're involved in product development.

We are a discussion forum, therefore any correspondance should be held in public, not in private. In addition presonal contact details aren't permitted.

8. Alyaa

Alyaa New Member

Hi Simon

I appologize if it sounded as a promotion, Its not. We just have a prototype and we need to know if its interesting to the people who use it most. So this is like a customer discovery task. I appologize if it sounded otherwise. The reasons I asked for contact details is that surveys and email don't count as customer discovery.

Thanks a lot
    Alyaa

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Fully appreciated, but it still counts as market research.

We're happy to discuss pros and cons, but nothing in the way of promotion or market resarch.

Good luck with the product.

10. johnkeane440

johnkeane440 New Member

You could avoid having to wear the technology by basing your idea around a computer program that tracks certain colored mitts via a camera setup. Similar to how they do motion capture for computer games. This is really accurate and I think would be much easier than developing mitts with accelerometers etc.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Or you could just use a Kinect.

12. johnkeane440

johnkeane440 New Member

Problem solved :)