Meaning of the category "Martial Art"....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kenpoguy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

I now consider myself to be ultimatly more of a streetfighter, than the sport fighter I once was. I am happy to say that I have been able to hear many people's views on what they think about many martial arts. I hear all the time about how one particular martial art is inferior and wont work on the street, and thus isn't a martial art. I agree completely about how many won't work in the street, but I still support it as being a martial art for the following reasons....

Firstly, everyone does martial arts for a different reason. Some look to defend, some look to harm, others look for fitness, and many look to fufill their fantasies. Somebody who saw Jackie Chan for a first time, may want to be able to move and fight like him, but have no knowledge whatsoever of the MA world. That is why the begin. Over time, HOPEFULLY, they will come to see what the martial art they chose really is. An art can be anything. It can be something as complicated as drunken boxing, or something silly such as the japenease art of napkin folding :D . What matters, is that you YOURSELF enjoy it. You choose an art to fufill and obtain your goal. What should be remembered though, is not letting your ego getting the best of you. If you can do that and be modest, then anything seems possible...

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

To me it always seem the term martial is often the most ignored part the category 'martial arts'.

The term 'martial arts' is generally in my opinion far too open ended and far too organic. Many of the 'martial arts' that people are on about would be better relabeld 'maritially inspired arts'. :D

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Yeah its too open-ended for anyone to agree on. Ask how i know. :rolleyes:

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Like any other term, in any other language, the concept "martial arts" is relative. While terms/concepts have the same basic meaning in any given language, they are open to interpretation. It is different for every person who uses the term.

In my opinion, (to quote another members signature (sort of)) whether you think you are doing martial arts or you don't, you are probably right.

5. slipthejab

reach back... untie knot in panties. :D

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

On the whole I think that was a very good post. Much better than I expected after reading the first sentance. How do you mean you are a 'streetfighter'? Do you mean that you go around starting fights? Or that you keep getting yourself in situations where people start fights with you? (Which your sig would seem to bear out. The way to safety is to avoid dangerous situations - not to seek them out!)

Either way you didn't give the impression of being a 'martial artist' at all. Although that impression was then contradicted by the rest of your post, which I thought was very good indeed.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I propose, therefore, that we drop the term martial arts and replace it with the term "super slapping". This will avoid any future confusion. Welcome to Superslappingplanet or SSP.

8. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

I used the term streetfighter, to describe my fighting style, Kenpo. I am a big believer in non-violence, and have never gone around, nor will i ever go around starting fights. All the term means is meerly if I do get into a street fight, my style focuses on more effective street manuevers. Many eye shots, groin rips, etc and not flashy head kicks... I believe that, and teach that, "we learn to fight so that we never have to.. But should the second come when we have no other choice, then we know what to do." The main reason i brought up my preference of streetfighting, was to suggest that i have explored other styles as well. As for my quote, that is one of my favorite lines from the movie, "the last dragon". The way i envision that is this. If you have a burglar break into your house and he starts going toward your childs/spouses room, then what would you do? Would you hide and call the police, or would you go try to protect them? Thus, for your own safety and that of your family, one would have to "go to the heart of danger".

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  9. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And thus it begins again....

11. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Absolutely anything works on the street. That's the whole trick, that's how some 'martial artists' so to speak, fail in live application. They think the other guy who's "no more than.." a beer drinking sports spectator, can't kick some serious butt just because he's an "untrained" primate going off tap. They can, anyone can.

Some "self defence" strategies serve to diminish one's pragmatic capacity in favour of adherent techniques. Such an idea has values and compromises, like any other. I think the most successful, self defence applied martial artists maintain the ability of improvisation, adaptability and a variety of philosophical bases to work with.
    A guy with kendo, wu shu and tae kwon do black belts and a few years of high school gymnastics under his belt, plus an attitude where he doesn't give a hoot what he uses or what he has to think like to succeed a conflict, will do better than a guy with 14th level wing chun background and a determined contention that only wing chun styles are ultimately the most effective.

Similarly, a guy who solidly plays cricket and footy for 14 years is going to be a very strong improvisational fighter, as much as any dedicated combatant, just often a little less conscious of their combat skills than a martial artist.

In part the applicability of any martial arts style or combination of styles lay in your personal ability to think on your feet. I've seen styles designed for kata and not street application used against styles specifically designed for the street, successfully, because the practitioner was at the time simply more familiar with movement mechanics. When they switched styles for each other's, he won the sparring that way too.

12. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

the problem is sparring isn't the street. In sparring, you cant throw eye shots, groin rips, brainstem shots, or anything else that is potentially lethal. There is no arm/leg breaks and no gouges of any kind. Thus, in sparring, it is somewhat realistic but overall very un-realistic. I primarily support sparring, because for most it teaches them to get in there and take a shot, and throw a shot. It also teaches critical distance, and many other sub-points. But a street fight, WILL NEVER be a SPARRING match. I'd like to see one person fall down full power in the street on their back, have a break called. Likely if they fell hard, it A. knocked the wind outta them, or B. Injured something. The fight is certaintly as good as over. This is pending certian cirumstances of course, but assuming the person cant control how hard or how fast they fall, they are in trouble. And not "absolutely anything" works on the street, it is all about how its pulled off. I totally agree about what you did say on the skill an indivuidual has with their style. Although I disagree with what Tae-kwon-do for example teaches and how it is taught, I would agree that somebody very knowledgable and skillful could be an incredible fighter. That goes without a doubt...

13. slipthejab

LOL!:D

14. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Yes, I said braimstem shots :D

15. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Not necessarily. I have seen people go down HARD. And then get straight back up, knock their antagonist out and then worry about their broken ribs. Its called adrenaline.

What is wrong with what it teaches?

They could also be a very lousy fighter. Skill and knowledge doesn't translate to actual fighting ability.

16. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Statistically the majority of street fights, bar brawls, frat boy scraps are over with one punch. But Boxers throw combos, meaning more than one punch, so boxers would win way more than other 'martial artist'. I should learn to box, or maybe dance. Dancers have the stereotype of being gay, and what self-absorbed meathead would want that gayness all over their fists?

Yes definately that's the answer.

17. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

I'm not sure if young kids are posting on this board are not?... but lets try to keep it to the point. Firstly, crimson, that is a stereotype in itself that you posted, and before posting something such as that, it's a good idea to have a backround knowledge. Nextly Garibaldi, yes people can get up after falling. I said that A. or B. would "LIKELY" happen. My point was to get across the fact that the fight won't stop for either party when that happens, and when you are on the ground, the attacker wont stop attacking. And im not trying to degrade or berate any MA here, i was simply stating what I thought about the particular system of TKD. Getting back on the original topic, its about what "MAKES" a martial art, not what is wrong with one...

18. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

DUH???? Can't you tell by the avatar?

Fights DO stop. Barmaids get in the way, Bouncers break them up, Police will tear gas the entire building then hit everyone with pepper spray as they exit. In society violence is frowned upon (sport violence is ok). When has the "I could beat him up" line worked on the cute blonde in the halter top? The point is street fights don't last very long.
    You want a Martial Art? Find a system that teaches:

1. Avoid conflict -- Sun Tzu reccomended victory thru peace before victory thru violence

2. Defeat your opponent before you fight.

3. Range -- Its better to send infantry up a hill after the air strikes and artillery fire.

4. If you gotta fight, use a weapon -- spears then swords then knives then hands

5. Punching, kicking, locks, bars, holds, pins, throws,.....

6. Don't start a fight you can't win in 10 seconds or less.

19. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

crimson, I do agree that fights don't last Too long, but there isn't always someone there to break it up. Besides that I find nothing else to agree with and think that you have no idea what a martial art is or should be based upon...

20. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I think we have different concepts for what "Martial Art" means.

My Veiw.
    Martial referring to military, and Art/s referring to practice/s. Martial Arts = Military Practices and all that entails. What is the all encompassing role of the military? What roles does the military play? How do large organizations such as the U.S. Armed Forces compare with that of an individual? The actions, responsibilities, and the roles of the organization and individual are the same, just seen thru very different scales. The goal is to accomplish the task by the most efficient means, while minimizing any and all potential threats.

The Hagakure, the Bushido Shoshinsu, and Musashi's Book of Five Rings all provide written explanations of what it is to live the martial way. It effects all aspects of your life, from waking up in the morning, to the work you do, to the beer you order at night. All you do requires consideration and planning.

In today's society we have developed the misnomer "Martial Arts" to mean the study of hand-to-hand combat styles, and we forsake what it means to the rest of our lives. For example I do not believe Tae Kwon Do, as it is generaly taught, to be a martial art. It is the hand-to-hand combat aspect of martial art. It's the art of punching and kicking.

There were roughly 500,000 violent crimes committed last year in the U.S. That is a great incentive to learn how to punch and kick, but what about avoiding the conflict all together? When in your stlye of fighting do you read and re-read Sun Tzu, learn to play chess, and develop your own abilities of strategic planning?

Pilots learn to fly in formation, change formations, and adapt to threats. The same is true for tank commanders, squad leaders, fire teams, etc.... In history the Cavalry proved invaluable in defeating one's enemies. Samurai, knights, mongols all learned the art of combat on horseback, but equestrian skills are not considered part of todays "martial art". Today the horse has been displaced by armed/armored vehicles and aircraft. In the civilian world cars, trains and buses are the primary means of commute. In America 40,000+/- people die in car accidents every year. 4,563,000 auto accidents required emergency department visits in 2000, but we don't consider our driving abilities to be part of our "Martial Arts". Is it so different if we're injured by a drunk driver than a drunk frat boy? Do we practice driving like we practice punching and kicking?

1. Strategic thinking, planning.

2. Taking the psychological advantage, taking the environmental advantage.

3. Defeating your enemy from afar is better.

4. Arm yourself. Learn that hand-to-hand combat should be a last result.

5. Learn hand-to-hand combat

6. Pick your battles carefully