me doing choong moo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by jazzysingh, Feb 5, 2011.

1. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

Well, I do taekwondo btw. I don't know if I'm spelling these right (probably not):

Chon-Ji, Dan-Gun, Do-San, Won-Hyo, Yul-Gok, and my latest (barely learning) Joong-Gon.

I would be willing to make a video of myself for any but Joong-Gon since I just learned it on Tuesday.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Good for you :) Pick your favourite and post it, or pick the one you think needs most work. Whatever it is, it'd be great to see you post one :)

Mitch

3. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

i think this thread needs to be renamed to 'critique my pattern (be nice) please' hahaha! hopefully i will be re-doing my choong moo on sunday - :D

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Cool.. how abouts you go with Won-Hyo?

5. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

Sure. Love that pattern. It'll be a while lol.

6. StuartA

Why?

How longs a while?

We await in anticipation :)

7. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

Your awaiting in anticipation has now come to an official end.

http://www.vimeo.com/20107826

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

your shoulders look extremely tight and your neck posture is extremely unhealthy (i should know, mine is too :p). i recommend getting a pullup bar and starting physical exercise ASAP.

you should also maybe look towards developing a bit more focus on your techniques, as they look a bit "wild", so to speak, as if you were flinging your arms instead of applying force to an opponent (just a bit though, it's not horrible or anything).

probably stuff that would go away once you strengthen yourself a little.

also, long legs are long. i can see why people would be scared of you kicking them :p (incidentally, you're dropping the knee before extension on the side kicks. dunno how exactly you train the technique, but generally IMO, it's better to have the knee not point further down than parallel to the ground (unless you're putting massive hip twist into it and doing it like a back kick).

... or i could have said "no offense but your technique looks horrid" :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  9. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Not bad. The obvious first. On one side you don't chamber the punch after the 'Twin forearm and knife hand' sequence. On the other side you do chamber it. So get that one side chambered.

Thanks for posting this.

10. aaron_mag

My posture sucks too. I've been working on it. Short yoga sessions (I had a yoga enthusiast give me a half hour sequence) really seem to help. I try to do it every morning...but typically only do it 2 to 3 times a week. But better than nothing.

I'd recommend it.

11. StuartA

No offence, but do you want a critque? I give you "props" for posting (Indeed) but TBH, people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.. if you get my drift!

However, I`m not gonna rate you or berate you, as you had the kahuna's to post a vid of youself.. which to me, speaks volumes. I appreciate that!

Stuart

12. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

Yes I definitely want critique. That's why I posted it here... Lol when I saw myself in the video I almost facepalmed. My posture definitely looks lame.

13. StuartA

Okay.. now looking at the video, its obvious you come from an early background of TKD, so I will take that into account (as much as possible).

Okay, heres my critique:
    1. The ready posture has the hands in the wrong position - they are way to far out!
    2. The next few techniques lack power and focus
    3. The L-stance and fixed stance lack definition ie. they look the same and both look poor (sorry)
    3. the bending ready stance is, er.. not good.. your left foot is pointed outwards and should cover your right knee, with your left knee outwards
    4. The knifehand guarding blocks are executed after stepping, when they should be executed as you complete each stance/step!
    5. there is no rising and dropping on the combination moves (at the start and in the middle) - hence you are simply throwing your arms around
    6. On your punch after the 4th combination, you are not even looking in the direction of the punch
    7. Circular block wasnt low enough! And was way to close to your body!
    8... and you should drop into the following punch, as opposed to executing it after you step down from the front snap kick
    9. The 2nd side piercing kick was performed as a turning kick (motion)
    10. When performing bending ready stance you do not a) place foot on the ground b) bring one foot to the other
    11. As you performed the 2nd from last forearm guarding block, you looked away as you executed it
    12. there was no distinct finish at the end.. you simply stepped back to the ready posture!
    13. over all it lacked flow, co-ordination, correct muscle tension and technique - sorry

Like I said, I didnt wanna do this, but since you asked :-(

The original statement you made with regards to poor stances in another video, IMO, was glass houses throwing stones - no offence meant, just check yourself and correct yourself before judging others. I have only posted this beacuse you asked me too.. no other reason.. usually I`d simply stay queit and try and get my own patterns better.

Stuart

14. aaron_mag

I wasn't happy with my video either! But self-examination is a good thing from time to time...although I prefer my deluded fantasy world much much more. ;)

I re-watched your video and there is one thing I really want to say...

You have the PERFECT build for ITF style TKD. You are all legs! And your flexibility is pretty good. Stick with it. You'll be able to generate a lot of power with those long limbs of yours. :D