me doing choong moo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by jazzysingh, Feb 5, 2011.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I get ya now.. yes, I was refering to actually ripping it off via gripping it yourself, as opposed to using the blocking tool.

Ditto

Correct.. as TKD changed the chamber position

Depends on org... some may well do it the 'karate' way still!

Yes.. i was watching 'when the levee's broke' (3 hours long each of the 4 parts) and just popped in before sleepsville.

Stuart

2. StuartA

"Props" for posting Aaron (I can't do the 'thanks' thing.

I have never come across that before.. even the oldest training films I have have 2 side kicks... are there any of these old film clips on Youtube you know of?

Out of interest.. 1965 book says they are two side 'thrusting' kicks (as opposed to side piercing kicks)!

Stuart

3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

There used to be a set of really grainy itf forms on YouTube. I believe those had side kick to spinning side kick. They seem to have all been removed from YouTube, so I can't check. If you have a link to them let me know, because I they were an interesting reference. And I may be remembering it wrong.

But our org has always done side kick to spinning side even when we were with the itf when I started in the 80s. I do know that everyone else did not have the spin in the 80s. It was a holdover from something.

We also were always told that if you did the form perfectly a book should be able to ride on your head. Erect posture with minimal head movement (obviously I fail in this area). This is again a holdover from ankarate base.

From what I understand my Korean instructor took TKD in the military in Korea (and TSD before that). When he came to the US he joined General Choi's org and Choi spent 3 days at his house converting him to his forms etc. So in some ways it was a mishmash of TKD and TSD and that is the way it has remained (this is what I have had to piece together anyway) :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Nice pattern and I am glad more and more tkd'ers are posting up their vids!!! Its kinda good to see all the slight variations - i dont know why? It just is! haha...

5. aaron_mag

I'm glad you suggested it. On a personal level I was deeply dissatisfied after watching my video. I almost didn't post it. But then I thought, "It is what it is. Use this to motivate yourself..."

Maybe we can revisit in a year and see if we've made some improvement. :)

6. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

as u can see from the 1st quote - i didnt suggest it lol, but i am glad it was suggested!! made this thread more interesting. :)

and, i agree with 'it is what it is' to an extent, the great thing about this thread is - everyone has gave great feedback, so - its up to you whether u wana take it on board - i hope to!! i am hoping to see improvements in a few weeks lol.

i hope MAP'ers will continue to post vids, maybe we shoudl have a thread like this for all patterns LOL.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i like aaron_mag's hyung. for some reason the way it's performed reminds me of northern kung fu (bei shaolin, some mantis, etc).

*taunts PASmith with my hair and runs naked through the thread*

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sod a year...I'm doing another one next week. :)
    Tick off some of those points Stu raised.

Aahh the hubris of youth. Come back when you are 38 and then we'll see what your hair is like.

9. aaron_mag

Ah the bitterness of middle age. I share it...

:)

Thanks, btw, Fish. Forms have never been my strong suit. I have lots of sparring trophies, but my forms trophies are very few and far between (and never a first place). I should take a video of someone who does well in forms from our org and post it. It is very karatesque...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  10. Fish Of Doom

your forms still look very good, aaron, your punches looked like they transferred momentum well.

@pasmith: when i start going bald i'll just transplant my pubes to my scalp, then no one will notice and i will continue to mock you relentlessly.

11. StuartA

AFAIA, the oldest video is found on the Pioneers CD and its in colour from an 8mm camera.. those have 2 side kicks! Wonder why the ones you mentioned would be B/W, when the oldest (AFAIA) are in colour.

Sure would, but I don't have a link, hence why I asked you lol

Which org is it?

Yes, for sure.. TKD rid itself of karate based horizontal wave very early on.

Possible carry-ons from TSD (hence the level head bit etc.).. I wonder if the kicking combination was also.. maybe it appear in a TSD kata or something!!

Stuart

12. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

Lol I don't know that pattern... but your stances looked horrid. No offense.

13. Fish Of Doom

constructive criticism is constructive. NOT.

also you don't say no offense after you've already done something offensive, particularly when you don't explain why.

14. aaron_mag

Probably true. But I wish I could find those old videos and check my memory...

15. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

Sorry. The reason: Can't remember what was wrong with back stances, but front stance back foot was turned out as if it was half way back stance. It looked like you had a black belt on, so I was like "a black belt with that kind of stance?"

16. Fish Of Doom

and that makes his stance look hideous. right.

a word of advice: one, read posts before you reply. he himself stated that his stances were not particularly good, and two, you should learn a bit more about your own technique before criticizing that of others; more specifically, parallel feet front stances require high dorsiflexion mobility, which not all people possess, and if the ankle joints are not willing, they shouldn't be forced, as that can either break your stance's structure or hurt your knee due to the pressure of keeping the leg straight as the ankle doesn't allow the lower leg side of the joint to move down to accompany the movement of the femur as the hips twist. in addition, while keeping your feet parallel helps (and turning them out completely is also a big knee-joint killer), it is not a requirement for power generation, plenty of which can be generated using the inside edge or even blade of the foot as long as you know how to use your body (eventually you shouldn't even need your heel on the floor as you should be able to replicate the effect through good leg structure).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  17. aaron_mag

Actually which of the patterns Zephyr was criticizing, but there are variations in the front stance. We practice the parallel feet version, but there are many clubs that believe the back foot at a slight angle is the proper version. So it all depends on the club...

18. StuartA

Feel free to post yours... as thats what folks have been doing.. just for the hell of it :cool:

Stuart

19. -Zephyr-

-Zephyr- Valued Member

I said I don't know that pattern.

20. StuartA

Fair enough.. maybe a different one then! What ones do you know?